MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Wet Laptop...New Laptop?

Old 12-15-2009 at 08:38 AM   #31
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
and its got a 9600gt too so it will outperform the older one
anyways, i'm just hoping i don't have to lose all the money i invested in that one :( i don't care if i lose the thing itself because i'm gonna get an hd backup, the deviantart glow sticker and remove the win 7 license from it
I can only forsee you losing out if Toshiba is really ****ing stupid.

It would be beyond poor customer service if they didn't offer you a reasonable option for repair/replacement for a laptop you purchased from them less than 4 months ago. Yes you spilled liquid on it and its your mistake but having to purchase a whole new laptop or pay an exorbitant amount of money to have this one fixed would be insane within such a short window of time. If they have any sense at all there will be a reasonable solution offerred up by Toshiba to keep you as a customer.

Afzal says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 12-15-2009 at 10:18 AM   #32
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I can only forsee you losing out if Toshiba is really ****ing stupid.

It would be beyond poor customer service if they didn't offer you a reasonable option for repair/replacement for a laptop you purchased from them less than 4 months ago. Yes you spilled liquid on it and its your mistake but having to purchase a whole new laptop or pay an exorbitant amount of money to have this one fixed would be insane within such a short window of time. If they have any sense at all there will be a reasonable solution offerred up by Toshiba to keep you as a customer.
that is the single best thing i've read in these depressing times! thanks

btw, just wanted to ask
can i buy a laptop on boxing day if i dont hear from toshiba till then
and if they give me a good option or repair the laptop, will i be able to return the new one for a refund
just so that i dont lose on the deals and lose the laptop too?
Old 12-15-2009 at 01:46 PM   #33
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
that is the single best thing i've read in these depressing times! thanks

btw, just wanted to ask
can i buy a laptop on boxing day if i dont hear from toshiba till then
and if they give me a good option or repair the laptop, will i be able to return the new one for a refund
just so that i dont lose on the deals and lose the laptop too?
Totally depends on the store. I believe Best Buy allows you to do that, but its only 30 days.
Old 12-15-2009 at 02:23 PM   #34
sew12
Elite Member

Yeah it really depends on the store and their return policy.

Have you contacted Toshiba about the issue either by phone or e-mail yet? Or did you just send it off to them. I'm sure there's a process for these kinds of issues, I've just never had an issue with any of my laptops (Toshibas) and don't really know what it is. I imagine they will contact you within a reasonable timeframe, although the holidays are probably making them a bit busier than usual. Hopefully prior to Boxing Day you will at least have your options laid out so you can decide on the best course of action.
Old 12-15-2009 at 02:33 PM   #35
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
Totally depends on the store. I believe Best Buy allows you to do that, but its only 30 days.
i see

well, the first verdict is in (no its not from toshiba)

my dad just told me i can buy a laptop no matter whether this one gets repaired or not (so i'll give one to my sister or something afterwards)

now, I want to keep it under $1000 and I'm looking for a laptop with a GPU like Ati HD 4650 or nVidia GT 130M (or 9600GT)...must be atleast > 9000 on 3D Mark 05 (notebookcheck.net).. .coz that's the only benchmark i know

the advantage with nVidia's new series is Physx while the HD 4650 still gets more numbers up there

sadly not many manufacturers give out 500GB hdds with this config :( but I think I'll be okay with 320GB too

now can anyone please shed some light on the build quality of MSI and ASUS laptops since I haven't had any experiences with any of these

....please help me find a laptop!

looking for the following:
Core 2 Duo/AMD equivalent or better
HDD > 320GB
GPU dedicated (the most important thing)
eSata (shoutld be there for fuuture purposes)
shortcut keys to media player would be helpful
screen from 15.6 to 17"

In essence, I am looking for a gaming laptop under $1000 CAD
Old 12-15-2009 at 03:46 PM   #36
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Heres a laptop to consider:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&Sku=A50-16006

Afzal says thanks to Stan for this post.
Old 12-15-2009 at 03:52 PM   #37
Afzal
Android Dev

already on the list stan but it probably wont make it into the finalists after i consider taxes
i need a tax free weekend
Old 12-15-2009 at 08:00 PM   #38
sew12
Elite Member

As far as many of the comments and reviews I read online Asus/MSI laptops seem to be well liked.

The one just posted seems to have pretty good feedback.

Afzal likes this.
Old 12-16-2009 at 11:15 AM   #39
Afzal
Android Dev

i just received a call from staples
the guy said the repair is gonna cost me around $700
mobo is fried plus keyboard also got damaged, the hard drive is safe as far as he knows

is there any chance calling toshiba might help?
i'm not gonna get it repaired, will buy a new one
Old 12-16-2009 at 11:33 AM   #40
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
i just received a call from staples
the guy said the repair is gonna cost me around $700
mobo is fried plus keyboard also got damaged, the hard drive is safe as far as he knows

is there any chance calling toshiba might help?
i'm not gonna get it repaired, will buy a new one
I would call Toshiba and talk to someone about it. Explain that you know the warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, you made a mistake if there anything they can do for you in this situation. You're a student, low on cash, really need it for school and really don't want to have to buy a brand new computer, especially this close to Christmas. Be very polite, explain that you really liked their product and you know you messed up and you'd really like to continue being their customer etc. That type of thing might help you, don't get angry etc if they seem unwilling to budge. Speak calmly and clearly about the situation, throw in some praise for the company/laptop, mention the student thing and the holidays etc. It might help, it might not but its always worth a try. If there's really nothing they can do for you than I guess that's life and you'll have to learn from a very expensive mistake but its always worth a try. If you get the right person they might be willing to at least repair it for a more reasonable price.

$700 to repair it is ridiculous considering you can get a new one.

Why did you bring it to Staples just out of curiosity? Just to ship or to have them repair it?

Afzal says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 12-16-2009 at 12:06 PM   #41
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

First of all, you shouldn't be getting it repaired at Future Shop/Best Buy/staples. Toshiba has their own repair service company thing...

It's called AudComp.

I'm assuming since Future Shop is kinda like a middle man, trying AudComp should be cheaper.

(905) 575-9775.
662 Fennell E

If you phone Toshiba, they will most likely send you there anyways. That's where I've gone every time I've had a problem.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Afzal says thanks to lawleypop for this post.

Maegs likes this.
Old 12-16-2009 at 02:23 PM   #42
Afzal
Android Dev

i'll try audcomp
i gave it to staples so that they send it to toshiba since i bought it from there, was i supposed to send to toshiba directly?

but this'll have to wait till after holidays since i'm gonna buy another one anyway

ok, i just called toshiba and the lady told me that she has escalated this case to some kind of supervisor and he'll contact me in 48 hours, hmmm, something might actually come out of this

Last edited by Afzal : 12-16-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2009 at 03:06 PM   #43
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
i'll try audcomp
i gave it to staples so that they send it to toshiba since i bought it from there, was i supposed to send to toshiba directly?

but this'll have to wait till after holidays since i'm gonna buy another one anyway
Yeah you should definitely contact Toshiba directly. I don't know what Staples told you but they have a ridiculous computer fixing thing and that's probably what they'll charge you to fix it.
Old 12-16-2009 at 10:29 PM   #44
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

You want some good laptops in the price range, here you go:

1) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product... E16834220634
2) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product... E16834220589

If you know someone in the states, I would try to get them to buy a laptop from there. Waaaaay cheaper.

Afzal says thanks to lmasud for this post.
Old 12-17-2009 at 01:34 AM   #45
Afzal
Android Dev

problem isn't buying from there...it's shipping and duties, i tried to import a Toshiba laptop earlier this year, it had so much duty that i told my uncle to return it

and yes the 2nd laptop is good...on the list it goes
thanks

Last edited by Afzal : 12-17-2009 at 02:08 AM.