MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You'll be seeing red when you pick your English courses Twelve Chars Academics 20 05-30-2011 03:58 PM
English Courses Not Offered Alchemist11 Academics 3 06-08-2010 11:45 PM
Wondering about english courses (2C/E/F03) H.Abbas Academics 10 06-20-2009 12:20 AM
Easy english courses? hans23 Academics 6 06-04-2009 02:24 PM
More info about English courses? leah.d Academics 11 08-03-2008 08:36 PM

Which English courses should I take...

Old 11-27-2011 at 12:35 AM   #1
guptas46

Liked: 9 Times

Which English courses should I take...
I'm really not good at humanities/english but I'm gonna have to take a full year of English.

Any info on these courses:

English 1CS3 (Studying Culture) , 1A03/AA3 (short/long genres)
English 2J03 (popular culture), 3S03 (biblical traditions in lit)

any other recommendations for a science student? ()
Old 11-27-2011 at 10:33 AM   #2
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

I'm a science student and I'm going for 1A03, only taking one The reviews for it seem better than 1AA3 and just the fact that it's shorter genres which I always found easier in school.

Also, 1CS3 sounds really interesting! Take what you're interested in so that you'll have the motivation to do well in it!
Old 11-27-2011 at 10:49 AM   #3
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I've taken all three 1st year English classes, and must say that if you're going for the lightest workload, that would definitely be Shorter Genres. All the texts are either poems or short stories; beware, though: you must keep up with your reading. You'll only spend one (or two max) lecture(s) per text so if you miss a reading, you'll get really behind. But you realls only have to do about 20 minutes of reading for each class.

1CS3 (Intro To Culture Studies) is a very interesting course, but you have to be able to think outside your box. It's not a typical English class.

Longer Genres would definitely be the toughest because you have to read whole novels and you'll only spend 2-3 lectures on each text, so you really have to keep up with your reading on this one. This class can kinda blow too, depending on the reading list. All the readins in 1Cs3 are interesting, and the Shorter Genres readings are, well, short, so if you don't like a text, you just move on in a day. But with Longer Genres, you'll have to struggle through a whole book. All English classes are subjective but this one especially, again because the texts change every year depending on the prof.

Dr. King is teaching short genres next semester. I would recommend trying to get in that one. I've never had Dr. King but he's supposed to be amazing.

PM me if you have anymore questions.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 11-27-2011 at 02:46 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I would recommend 3F03 - Fairy Tale. It wasn't necessarily easy, but it was pretty interesting and fun. I think it might be one of the less difficult English courses, since it's open to every program.