MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Which Laptop??

Old 07-04-2009 at 08:27 PM   #61
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I have the Dell Studio 15 and my only gripe about it is that it has a slot loading drive which is generally louder than tray drives. Other than that its an amazing laptop.
Old 07-11-2009 at 12:17 AM   #62
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

If cost is a factor, go with 13".
Movies are fine and if you're a bit blind like myself, you can just enlarge the text.

However, if you can afford it, I'd go with the 15".
I hear 17" becomes too bulky.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-11-2009 at 12:37 AM   #63
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Agreed. Although the picture can be awesome with 17'', it's not really worth the trouble of carrying it around!
Old 07-11-2009 at 02:35 AM   #64
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
If cost is a factor, go with 13".
Movies are fine and if you're a bit blind like myself, you can just enlarge the text.

However, if you can afford it, I'd go with the 15".
I hear 17" becomes too bulky.
._.

I thought smaller laptops costed more, although maybe that's with specific brands.
Old 07-11-2009 at 09:50 AM   #65
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I'm pretty sure larger laptops cost more, but sometimes the smaller ones have special features. For example HP Tablets (12.1") are a lot more expensive than the 15.4". Netbooks (<13") are especially cheap.

EDIT: hmm...I just looked at Dell and I see what you mean. o.0...
Old 07-11-2009 at 10:15 AM   #66
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

17'' laptops can support bigger hardware, so it can come with better specs than smaller laptops since it can support more hardware.
the screen itself is bigger so it has a higher native resolution which means things look better.

15'' laptops are a good size.
anything smaller might be too small.

also 17'' laptops have fullkeyboards which might interest some people...
Old 08-06-2009 at 11:43 PM   #67
JY123

Liked: 3 Times

For MacBook Pro, is it compatible with all of the softwares necessary for science classes?

Also, is it okay to install downloaded programs (torrents) onto the MBP, or do I need to purchase genuine copies?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2009 at 11:49 PM   #68
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JY123 View Post
For MacBook Pro, is it compatible with all of the softwares necessary for science classes?

Also, is it okay to install downloaded programs (torrents) onto the MBP, or do I need to purchase genuine copies?

Thanks!
The MBP's Operating system (OS X) should be compatible with all the software your going to need and if it Isn't you can always boot camp windows. You can also download all the software you need if you want.

JY123 says thanks to syaseen for this post.
Old 08-07-2009 at 06:02 AM   #69
bilalbagha

Liked: 0 Times

k i need some help from some ppl with mac experience
i am intending to buy a macbook pro for next year and i was wondering if i needed to get the protective accessories with it if im going to get the 3 year protection. If i get the keyboard, screen, armrest and outer protection..itl end up costing around $150. Do I need that or would my money be better spent on getting a 15" instead of a 13"? I dont think the apple warranty covers scratches and spills so i dont want anything to happen to it that wouldnt be covered.
Old 08-07-2009 at 08:36 AM   #70
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Don't buy an HP.

Within the past 4 years, i've gone through 3 HP laptops. All of them cost me well over $1000, so they wern't some cheap $500 cheaper model. I never download any music programs, not even somthing as simple as MSN. I strictly used them to browse the web, and do homework.

My first one kept crashing. I bought a second one.

My second one's wi-fi broke right after the warranty was up. All of the buttons started not working after that. The screen started losing pixels. I bought a third one.

The third one which cost me $1600, is currently in my closet, broken. The wi-fi is broken, the hard-drive needs a total replacement. So i've been using my dads laptop until I decide wether to fix my HP, or replace it.
Old 08-07-2009 at 10:33 AM   #71
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalbagha View Post
i am intending to buy a macbook pro for next year and i was wondering if i needed to get the protective accessories with it if im going to get the 3 year protection. If i get the keyboard, screen, armrest and outer protection..itl end up costing around $150. Do I need that or would my money be better spent on getting a 15" instead of a 13"? I dont think the apple warranty covers scratches and spills so i dont want anything to happen to it that wouldnt be covered.
I bought a macbook last year and didn't bother with the extra 3 year protection plan. If your worried about things such as scratches than I wouldn't suggest buying a laptop because they will eventually happen whether you like it or not. I think the apple store gives you a 1 year warranty already and I haven't had any problems at all with my macbook so far. Also keep in mind that the 15" will weigh more than the 13" so carrying it around all the time may not be convenient.

Old 08-07-2009 at 10:55 AM   #72
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa-88 View Post
Don't buy an HP.

Within the past 4 years, i've gone through 3 HP laptops. All of them cost me well over $1000, so they wern't some cheap $500 cheaper model. I never download any music programs, not even somthing as simple as MSN. I strictly used them to browse the web, and do homework.

My first one kept crashing. I bought a second one.

My second one's wi-fi broke right after the warranty was up. All of the buttons started not working after that. The screen started losing pixels. I bought a third one.

The third one which cost me $1600, is currently in my closet, broken. The wi-fi is broken, the hard-drive needs a total replacement. So i've been using my dads laptop until I decide wether to fix my HP, or replace it.
I agree; the only thing HP is good for is printers.

I recommend Dell. I've been using Dell products for years, and my current laptop is a Dell. I've had no problems with it! It's worked like a charm after 3 years of almost constant daily use. You can also fully customize your computer online, which is MUCH better than buying a laptop pre-assembled in-store. The only thing I should point out is that my laptop cost me over $2000 because I got top of the line specs so that it would last me for 4 years (remember that you can't upgrade hardware in a laptop).

Oh, and Dell always has some kind of deal going on, so depending on when you order, you can get deals on things like external hard drives, upgraded hardware, software, etc.

My main beef is that I can't upgrade my hardware, and now after three years, the required specs for games are going beyond those of my computer :(. I can't wait to finish school so I can start a career and be able to afford to build myself a great desktop!
Old 08-07-2009 at 12:03 PM   #73
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Hi,
I was wondering which laptop to get as well...
I don't game, watch movies, download a lot or anything like that, I'll just be using it for schoolwork and internet.
I was thinking the Dell Inspiron 15...
Any good/bad experiences or other suggestions?
Trying to keep it under $700 or so...
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2009 at 01:53 PM   #74
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Check out Toshiba A505-S6965
its $750 but its worth every penny...im gonna get one myself soon
Old 08-07-2009 at 03:03 PM   #75
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalbagha View Post
I got a Macbook pro last year and i didn't need any of the protective extras they have. Keep in mind its aluminum and doesn't scratch easily. I did however get the extended warranty since i was paying over $2000 for something it seemed to be a good idea. Also if you buy your Macbook from the apple store you have 1 year from your date of purchase to buy the warranty. Size is a personal preference since the 13" and 15" pros are within 1 pound of each other so there isn't much difference. I would advise 15" because bigger screen size and resolution means easier time reading/watching movies.