MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Which Laptop??

Old 08-11-2009 at 04:42 PM   #91
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
My PC at home cost more than a Macbook, and on it, I replaced literally every piece except the dvd burner, then finally got fed up and just bought a new one. Computers have problems, PC or Mac.
Apple charges a ton for their computers, which generally are all-in-ones and cannot be upgraded or fixed without sending it in/bringing it to Apple themselves.

I agree that computers in general can have problems, and so since Apple computers are so expensive, it's not worth buying them since I can build a computer with better specs for less money myself. I'd much rather do it myself for free (or relatively low cost if I need to purchase a part or something) than be forced to send it in to a company to look at it.
Old 08-11-2009 at 05:07 PM   #92
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Apple charges a ton for their computers, which generally are all-in-ones and cannot be upgraded or fixed without sending it in/bringing it to Apple themselves.

I agree that computers in general can have problems, and so since Apple computers are so expensive, it's not worth buying them since I can build a computer with better specs for less money myself. I'd much rather do it myself for free (or relatively low cost if I need to purchase a part or something) than be forced to send it in to a company to look at it.
Apple computers are easily upgraded much like any other laptop. There's a specific user friendly slide in for the RAM itself. Switching out the hard drive would be the same for any other laptop. It's only the iMac's that are difficult to upgrade, since it IS a slim all in one PC. Get a mac pro and its just like any other tower, but with high-end parts and is upgradable much like any other tower.

I bought a mackbook pro last year and it has given me absolutely no problems at all. I am very happy that I got it, and people always whine and complain about how much it costs so much, but I was able to afford it and so I got it with no problems whatsoever. If you're looking for a great smooth running machine and have the budget I would highly advise getting a macbook. You may run into problems, but it would be the same for any other computer.
Old 08-11-2009 at 05:40 PM   #93
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
Apple computers are easily upgraded much like any other laptop. There's a specific user friendly slide in for the RAM itself. Switching out the hard drive would be the same for any other laptop. It's only the iMac's that are difficult to upgrade, since it IS a slim all in one PC. Get a mac pro and its just like any other tower, but with high-end parts and is upgradable much like any other tower.

I bought a mackbook pro last year and it has given me absolutely no problems at all. I am very happy that I got it, and people always whine and complain about how much it costs so much, but I was able to afford it and so I got it with no problems whatsoever. If you're looking for a great smooth running machine and have the budget I would highly advise getting a macbook. You may run into problems, but it would be the same for any other computer.

>high-end parts
>mackbook
>great smooth running machine
hahaha oh wow

it's all about branding. You're not paying for high-end parts, you're paying for the design.

Old 08-11-2009 at 05:42 PM   #94
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
Apple computers are easily upgraded much like any other laptop.
Laptops are not upgradeable, except for RAM and perhaps the hard disk... I'm talking about video/sound cards, fans, processors, etc.
Old 08-11-2009 at 05:53 PM   #95
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
>high-end parts
>mackbook
>great smooth running machine
hahaha oh wow

it's all about branding. You're not paying for high-end parts, you're paying for the design.
I know you like to play the devil's advocate but your little diagram isn't exactly realistic. iMac's don't cost 4000 dollars for one thing. The 20" standard is only $1399, only 100 more than that Dell in the picture. The 24" standard is only $1799. Needless to say these prices are still higher than a PC desktop but your depiction of reality is quite off. The iMac with the highest specs doesn't even cost $3999, it's still only $2599.
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:02 PM   #96
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Laptops are not upgradeable, except for RAM and perhaps the hard disk... I'm talking about video/sound cards, fans, processors, etc.
Well, although it's extremely uncommon, some have replaceable CPUs and GPUs.

In regards to apple laptops being easily upgradeable... they're not that easy (but no where near as hard as they used to be). I remember when I had an iBook G4. One day I decided to replace the hard drive inside with a larger one, and the design was so screwed up that it required me to not only completely disassemble the computer, but also part of the monitor (seriously, wtf?!). The new macbooks are better (remove a tab thingy on the inside of where the battery goes).

I found HP to be the easiest; just one screw and the harddrive pretty much falls out :p.
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:05 PM   #97
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I know you like to play the devil's advocate but your little diagram isn't exactly realistic. iMac's don't cost 4000 dollars for one thing. The 20" standard is only $1399, only 100 more than that Dell in the picture. The 24" standard is only $1799. Needless to say these prices are still higher than a PC desktop but your depiction of reality is quite off. The iMac with the highest specs doesn't even cost $3999, it's still only $2599.
With the conversion from USD to CAD and taxes it still comes to approximately $3292, a ridiculous price considering I could build a computer with the same specs for a fraction of that.

And the comparisons of the gaming potential of a PC vs. a Mac are totally realistic.
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:14 PM   #98
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/14803...laptop s.html

Notice it's PC world, not MacWorld.

syaseen likes this.
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:17 PM   #99
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
With the conversion from USD to CAD and taxes it still comes to approximately $3292, a ridiculous price considering I could build a computer with the same specs for a fraction of that.

And the comparisons of the gaming potential of a PC vs. a Mac are totally realistic.
Those prices are already in Canadian dollars, they're from the Apple Canada website.

Also I didn't say anything about the gaming comparison. I don't hardcore game or care about hardcore gaming so I don't comment on it.
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:26 PM   #100
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:

notice macs are PCs and that without providing screenshots with the actual specs of the systems it is dumb to take some guys word.
He probably doesn't know the difference between integrated and dedicated graphics.
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:29 PM   #101
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
notice macs are PCs and that without providing screenshots with the actual specs of the systems it is dumb to take some guys word.
He probably doesn't know the difference between integrated and dedicated graphics.
He covers the specs and the integrated/dedicated memory that you mention.

Last edited by reeves : 08-11-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:30 PM   #102
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:

You can buy like 5 decent laptops/computers for that much.
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:45 PM   #103
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:
You maybe want to read it? He covers the specs and the integrated/dedicated memory that you mention.
lol I skimmed it.

But where is the proof about the prices and the specs?
I go to the apple website and it doesn't say anything about the processor other than that it is 2.xx GHz. There is much more than the speed, there is the FSB and the CPU cache.
Then there's the quality of the actual parts and the types of output the computer has.

The thinkpadx300 and the macbook air cost about the same. But the macbook air doesn't even have an ethernet port. A USB to Ethernet accesory costs $30 and it uses up a USB port and it takes up more space.

Macs are overpriced. Look at the cheapest mac, and the cheapest dell. Yes, their specs differ, but not by much.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:47 PM   #104
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Check out Toshiba A505-S6965
its $750 but its worth every penny...im gonna get one myself soon
seconded
Old 08-11-2009 at 06:54 PM   #105
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:

My own little comparison... I added all the components to the PC to make it as even as possible to the Mac with what's available on the website (ie speakers, webcam, monitor, etc)

iMac 24 inch 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM 2x2Gb
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512 MB
- Standard Mouse, Keyboard etc.
- 1TB SATA drive

$2,599.00

Alienware Aurora
- AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz Dual Core (the fastest duo they have... going bigger would mean going quad)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512MB "superclocked edition" (lowest line GPU available)
- 4Gb Dual channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz 2x1Gb
- 1TB SATA drive 3Gb/s, 32MB cache
- Standard optical drive (to match the iMac)
- Standard ethernet port (matches iMac)
- Standard Audio (matches iMac)
- 24'' monitor (matches iMac)
- standard keyboard, mouse
- added speakers (to match iMac all-in-one)
- Added webcam (to match iMac)

$1964.00

And that's going through a company... buying parts yourself and building the computer yourself is cheaper. And people say Apple isn't overpriced.

Last edited by Taunton : 08-11-2009 at 06:56 PM.