MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Which Laptop??

Old 08-17-2009 at 06:09 PM   #136
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Dell laptops used to be absolutely terrible. They seem to have learned from their mistakes in some of their more recent models though. It's going to take a while for people to get over how badly they failed in the past :p.

I never had problems with their desktops. I still have my original Dell 4600 (my first legit PC ) and it still works fine... well, what's left of what was originally in there :p.
I'm not sure how far back you have to go to find a terrible Dell laptop. Mine is three years old and it's still awesome, and it's run perfectly for all those three years (and I run it constantly, virtually every day).

I've been able to play modern games on it up until just this year... I hate how I can't upgrade my GPU.

Really, honestly, Dell is one of the best ways to go when buying a computer right now, either for a desktop or a laptop.

I'm looking forward to finishing school this year and getting a real job. I can't wait to build a kick ass computer.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:11 PM   #137
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_JJ View Post
if you're not going with a mac, get an HP. Hands down best value and most efficient. Don't go with a dell.
I disagree... All the HP's I've seen haven't run all that well. In my experience (which is quite a bit when it comes to computers), HP's aren't all that great... the only good thing HP makes is printers.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:16 PM   #138
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I disagree... All the HP's I've seen haven't run all that well. In my experience (which is quite a bit when it comes to computers), HP's aren't all that great... the only good thing HP makes is printers.
I don't know, my HP laptop is pretty good (tx2514ca) , and the GPU is pretty great (ATI HD 3200); comparable to Dells. I know nothing about there desktops though, so I can't comment on that.

And the crappy Dell laptops I'm referring to are basically anything pre-2004. Those were some of the ugliest and loosely put-together laptops I've ever seen.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:24 PM   #139
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
And the crappy Dell laptops I'm referring to are basically anything pre-2004. Those were some of the ugliest and loosely put-together laptops I've ever seen.
Fair enough. I don't think the consumer notebook industry was really fully established at that point yet, am I wrong? Laptops before the mid 2000's were really designed for a niche market, so I suppose it would be expected for a consumer-oriented manufacurer such as Dell to have problems in their first few generations.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:44 PM   #140
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I don't think the consumer notebook industry was really fully established at that point yet, am I wrong?
Ya, I think you're right; I don't think laptops have really been perfected until recently. I mean; look at the original iBooks, lol. It's interesting how computers are getting so cheap. Back in the late 90's, a piece of crap desktop cost you $3000. Now you can get a near top of the line desktop for $800 if you know what you're doing :p.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:44 PM   #141
kanagaap

Liked: 0 Times

hey.. im goin into first yr life science.. nd im thinking about gettin a HP pavillioin dv4t.. does anyone hav ny suggestions or think that i should consider something else???
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:45 PM   #142
Taunton
Elite Member

Get what you want... make sure the specs and price suit your needs and budget.

I personally prefer the ability to choose exactly what goes into my computer, so I would therefore recommend ordering your computer online (whichever company you decide to go with).

I haven't had great experiences with HP computers, but some people have. I really don't want to beat a dead horse here.

kanagaap says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 08-19-2009 at 11:11 PM   #143
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times

i'm going into the math and statistucs program and i dont know how often i'll need to use a laptop. does anyone know? and any suggestions on a laptop for me. It would be best if it was under $1000 and something colourful ( i dont want a classic black laptop).
Old 08-19-2009 at 11:15 PM   #144
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizliz View Post
i'm going into the math and statistucs program and i dont know how often i'll need to use a laptop. does anyone know? and any suggestions on a laptop for me. It would be best if it was under $1000 and something colourful ( i dont want a classic black laptop).
You can get the white macbook for $1100 with student discount and you get a free ipod touch.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/campaigns/back_to_school?cid=WW W-NAUS-BTS20090507-00032
Old 08-19-2009 at 11:19 PM   #145
Lizliz

it's white....
Old 08-19-2009 at 11:20 PM   #146
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
it's white....
Spraypaint?
Old 08-19-2009 at 11:22 PM   #147
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
it's white....
Whats wrong with white? Put stickers on it or something.
Old 08-19-2009 at 11:24 PM   #148
Lizliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen_360 View Post
Whats wrong with white? Put stickers on it or something.
stickers? pfft.
Old 08-19-2009 at 11:25 PM   #149
Lizliz

would it not be a good idea to get a netbook? they seem too small. anyone have experiecne with one?
Old 08-19-2009 at 11:27 PM   #150
syaseen
Elite Member

You could also look into the dell studio laptops. They are the only colourful laptops I know of, but I cant comment on the hardware.

http://www1.ca.dell.com/ca/en/home/Laptops/laptop_studio/ct.aspx?refid=laptop_ studio&s=dhs&cs=cadhs 1&ref=lthp

Lizliz says thanks to syaseen for this post.