MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Which Laptop??

Old 08-26-2009 at 04:54 PM   #181
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinus View Post
No, I'm not a gamer and I will probably just use it for notes and surfing the net. Price isn't really a problem ($1500 max) but Im having trouble dealing with all the options.
If price isnt a problem then get a macbook pro. Just get the 13' MBP (the only 1 in your budget will cost $1300 after discounts) and you wont regret it. Also remember if you buy from the apple store (in yorkdale, eaten centre, square one or online) you get a free ipod touch and the student discount of $100 (remember to take student card)
Old 08-26-2009 at 06:58 PM   #182
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
If price isnt a problem then get a macbook pro. Just get the 13' MBP (the only 1 in your budget will cost $1300 after discounts) and you wont regret it. Also remember if you buy from the apple store (in yorkdale, eaten centre, square one or online) you get a free ipod touch and the student discount of $100 (remember to take student card)
....and you get a free printer.

Old 08-26-2009 at 08:14 PM   #183
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
From http://www.macobserver.com/columns/h...20060605.shtml

It's not just that Apple computers aren't designed for gamers; Apple doesn't want to cater to gamers. Any gamer who wants the best doesn't go with Apple. There's better out there when it comes to gaming.
You do realize that that article is over three years old, right?

http://www.n4g.com/gaming/News-133514.aspx - if you want to play games, avoid Windows Vista. Says the article from 503 days ago.

If you're going to say Macs are no good for gaming, then stick to current reasons. With Bootcamp letting you install Windows easily, the only thing left to call to question is the hardware.

I know almost nothing about video cards, so how well does the NVIDEA GeForce 9400M in the cheapest MacBook Pro stand up to the competition?
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:24 PM   #184
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post

http://www.n4g.com/gaming/News-133514.aspx - if you want to play games, avoid Windows Vista. Says the article from 503 days ago.

If you're going to say Macs are no good for gaming, then stick to current reasons. With Bootcamp letting you install Windows easily, the only thing left to call to question is the hardware.

I know almost nothing about video cards, so how well does the NVIDEA GeForce 9400M in the cheapest MacBook Pro stand up to the competition?
The NVIDIA Geforce 9400M is an integrated GPU while you may be able to play some games on it, but to game its reccommended to have a dedicated GPU so you'll have to look at the MBP with the dual GPUs.
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:26 PM   #185
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is an entry level card. With 256 megs of video memory, you won't be able to play the newest games with it, and some games from even 3 years ago will be choppy and will run mediocrely on medium level graphics.

The article may be from three years ago, but it doesn't change the fact that Apple doesn't cater to gamers. That's not what the company goes for, and if you read the article, most of the points brought up there still apply today.
Old 08-26-2009 at 09:25 PM   #186
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
seems to be a bit of apple hate around here.
On the contrary, I find there are a few too many apple fanboys around here .

... some people fap way too hard to Steve Jobs :p

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-26-2009 at 09:44 PM   #187
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
On the contrary, I find there are a few too many apple fanboys around here .

... some people fap way too hard to Steve Jobs :p
nah it just seems like a certain few have to adamantly go against apple whenever anyone mentions one.

dtrann, u.yousaf like this.
Old 08-26-2009 at 10:05 PM   #188
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
nah it just seems like a certain few have to adamantly go against apple whenever anyone mentions one.
I find it annoying when people act like Apple has revolutionized the world. Read here for more, or listen to every other student on Campus that owns a Macbook .

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-27-2009 at 12:42 AM   #189
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I find it annoying when people act like Apple has revolutionized the world. Read here for more, or listen to every other student on Campus that owns a Macbook .
i find it annoying, when someone is trying to help out by talking about a product in which they have had a good experience and mentions nothing about how apple or steve jobs has changed the world and someone comes in and automatically talks crap about something that they want to purchase and start to state about facts about the product which isn't true based on previously false presumptions.

no one here has said anything about apple revolutionizing the world. no one in any of these laptop threads has bashed pc's or acted smug about owning or having an apple, but those with apples have been receiving the backlash simply for choosing a certain product over another.

dtrann, fasailuddin like this.
Old 08-27-2009 at 02:18 AM   #190
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
i find it annoying, when someone is trying to help out by talking about a product in which they have had a good experience and mentions nothing about how apple or steve jobs has changed the world and someone comes in and automatically talks crap about something that they want to purchase and start to state about facts about the product which isn't true based on previously false presumptions.
Rage much? Successfully trolled

Quote:
... no one in any of these laptop threads has bashed pc's or acted smug about owning or having an apple, but those with apples have been receiving the backlash simply for choosing a certain product over another.

Perhaps it doesn't happen much in this thread, but if you go through and read through the
"Typical Laptop for a Life Science student?" thread, you'll see what I mean :p.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-27-2009 at 10:45 AM   #191
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Alright i'm going to try my best to avoid dabbling in on the apple vs. pc war and just give my recommendation on a laptop. (although in my post you can see where my side would be)
although I prefer a certain type of system it doesn't mean everyone else should swear to it aswell.

First off, it is best to make a list of what you want and this will help cut out alot of choices.

1. if you are going to be running it in places where you need to rely on battery life, you could look at laptops that have upgrades to 9 cell or even 12cell batteries.

Also, you pay a price for performance. a laptop with a good graphics chip like an Nvidia 9800m will allow you to get a better gaming/performance experience, but in-turn you may have a hot running laptop that drains your battery regardless if its a 12 cell or not.

2. CPU- the processor is famous for being the brain of a computer, and this is why it is important to keep cpu's in mind when purchasing. looking for a higher clock speed (2+GHz) is wise and also the type (dual core is the bees-knees).

i dont know much about AMD but i can tell you that when you see a 'P' infront of an intel processor (ex. p8600) -those processors are more energy efficient (easier on the battery) without loosing much performance.

3. RAM- now ram is the bedrock of multi-tasking. today's norm, in laptop memory is around 2Gb but you cant go wrong with 3 or even 4 if you have a 64-bit operating system. (windows vista x64)

4. SIZE and screen resolution - if you want a portable laptop then you obviously want a smaller screen and this can also net you some more battery life as the screen is a main factor in battery depletion. It is also important to note resolution. this is the size of the display -pixel-wise. the higher the resolution, the crispier and sharper the screen looks BUT this also gives the graphics chip more work to do.

5. aesthetics - face it, your putting alot of money into a laptop so you might aswell get one that appeals to you. this means looking for the small additions like the touch sensitive media buttons that most new HP's have all of that.

as for specific computer recommendations, id have to recommend looking at ASUS laptops only because I'm loving mine and they can be pretty good when it comes down to price/performance.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Last edited by Julian : 08-27-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2009 at 05:43 PM   #192
JY123

Liked: 3 Times

To all upper-year life science students:

Is a MacBook Pro compatible with all the course softwares needed in a typical life science schedule? (Chem 1A03 & 1AA3, Math 1A03 & 1AA3, Psych 1X03, Bio 1A03 & 1M03, Geront 1A03, Physics 1L03, and Econ 1B03)

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2009 at 06:04 PM   #193
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JY123 View Post
To all upper-year life science students:

Is a MacBook Pro compatible with all the course softwares needed in a typical life science schedule? (Chem 1A03 & 1AA3, Math 1A03 & 1AA3, Psych 1X03, Bio 1A03 & 1M03, Geront 1A03, Physics 1L03, and Econ 1B03)

Thanks!
Life Science students don't really need any software for any of those courses. The only software you will be using are things like MS office so a MBP should be fine. I personally have a Macbook and it has served me well so far.

JY123 says thanks to u.yousaf for this post.
Old 09-02-2009 at 07:39 PM   #194
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

which laptop would you recommend out of these:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10125685&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10125683&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10127957&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10125185&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10126101&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10127859&catid=
Old 09-02-2009 at 07:49 PM   #195
syaseen
Elite Member

I'd recommend the sony one. Its the most expensive, but has the best spec out of all them. If you want a dell then buy it from the dell online youll get a better deal and you can customize it.