MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Phone messages psps First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-17-2010 10:02 PM
Les Prince Phone OneL Les Prince Forum 6 09-01-2010 08:47 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Which Phone?

Old 08-26-2009 at 12:21 AM   #1
bilalbagha

Liked: 0 Times

Which Phone?
All right so I'm getting a new phone this week and I'm stuck between the HTC Magic and the iPhone 3G. I like them both but I've heard the durability of the HTC isn't very good. Any help?
Old 08-26-2009 at 12:23 AM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalbagha View Post
All right so I'm getting a new phone this week and I'm stuck between the HTC Magic and the iPhone 3G. I like them both but I've heard the durability of the HTC isn't very good. Any help?
iPhone.

Just don't drop it on concrete/asphalt.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-26-2009 at 12:26 AM   #3
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
iPhone.

Just don't drop it on concrete/asphalt.
I agree. They are both good in many ways but with all those iPhone apps its just better imo.

Old 08-26-2009 at 12:31 AM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
I agree. They are both good in many ways but with all those iPhone apps its just better imo.
There's this App called Shazam. When you put it up to a song, it gives you the title and artist, a link to buy it on iTunes, and a link to opening it up on Youtube. It's awesome, and very accurate.

SO helpful. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-26-2009 at 12:38 AM   #5
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
There's this App called Shazam. When you put it up to a song, it gives you the title and artist, a link to buy it on iTunes, and a link to opening it up on Youtube. It's awesome, and very accurate.

SO helpful. XD
Haha ya tell me about it especially when you know the song and your like what song is that I know that XD. I heard there are plenty of other great apps too, if I go looking for something new I will definitely consider an iPhone seriously.

Old 08-26-2009 at 12:53 AM   #6
bilalbagha

Liked: 0 Times

lol yeah thats what I was leaning towards. the apps are way too much fun on the iPhone for me to resist

thanks!
Old 08-26-2009 at 12:56 AM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

As much as I like Google's Android OS... the HTCs really don't seem fast enough to take advantage of it. In all the demo videos they lag like hell when browsing the internet. On a positive note though; a lot of the software for it is free , and it's open source. I've found that HTC is pretty bad at making devices that make a lot of sense... hopefully more cellular companies will take advantage of android in the future.

The iPhone, on the other hand, is a much more powerful device in terms of RAM and Processor. Unfortunately though; Apple likes to be greedy as hell and attempt to suck every dollar out of you when it comes to adding more functionality. You're also bound to iTunes, which kind of sucks (Apple literally went out of their way to encrypt the database to make sure no programs alternative to iTunes could control it ). This makes it a really big hastle when using it with OSes which don't have iTunes (i.e. Linux).

I personally own an iPhone 3GS because my mom told me it was the best thing ever. I only got it because it now supports bluetooth headphones (A2DP + AVRCP protocols). Little did I know; apple somehow screwed up and only added functionality for play/pause and somehow missed forward / back track. I don't see this concerning many people though, and I'm assuming it will be eventually fixed in a software update :p.

Personally, I would have liked to have preferred to have gotten a Palm Pre, but it looks like stupid Bell has obtained exclusive rights to it :(.

Anyway; just get an iPhone. Make sure you jailbreak it and install an application called Installous though. It will suddenly make the phone a lot better and in a way gets back at Apple for being such douchebags about trying to force you to use the phone the way they want you to use it .
Old 08-26-2009 at 12:59 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

The iPhone 3G is 99$ on a 3 year contract with Rogers by the way.
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:05 AM   #9
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The iPhone 3G is 99$ on a 3 year contract with Rogers by the way.
But I want super

Old 08-26-2009 at 01:08 AM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Just don't get distracted with them, they can be so addictive XD
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:08 AM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
But I want super
Lol, I think the 3GS is 199$ on a 3 year plan with rogers.
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:09 AM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
But I want super

Enjoy your $ 299
on a 3 year contract with Rogers then .
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:10 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

Enjoy your $ 299
For the 32GB, the 16GB is 199$.
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:12 AM   #14
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

Enjoy your $ 299
Haha ya I know that...I wonder if its that much of a difference?

Old 08-26-2009 at 01:18 AM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Well, I have the 3G S and my parents both have the 3G. The 3G S noticeably scrolls more smoothly and runs/launches programs faster.

Other than that; the other features are kind of gimmicky and not really what I would consider a big upgrade:

- Built in magnetic compass (can show you which direction you're facing on google maps)
- Voice recognition... I don't see why they couldn't have gotten the old one to do this.
- Video recording (quality isn't good enough for me to consider using it for anything serious... again, why couldn't the old one do this with a firmware upgrade?)

I only got it because everywhere around me was permanently out of 3Gs. I think after Rogers announced they were pretty much selling off 3Gs, everyone and their dog got one.

Then again; it's probably better to get the 3G S because it will likely be supported for longer.