MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to not suck at note taking? aw07 General Discussion 7 09-19-2011 10:39 PM
The ideal Note Taking ideas Desiguy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-27-2011 08:02 PM
Method of Payment Michael23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-28-2011 06:38 PM
CSD Note-taking... ikantsepll First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 10-29-2010 06:54 AM
Note taking and organizational methods Biochem47 Academics 10 07-15-2010 08:44 PM

What is your preferred note taking method?

Old 06-30-2012 at 02:21 AM   #16
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Oh yeah. I was told it was helpful to write down notes then recopy it all into a seperate notebook. Useful but TOO TIME CONSUMING
It would be easier to scan all your notes onto a computer instead. Although that's quite time consuming as well.

naval23 says thanks to Alexmahone for this post.
Old 06-30-2012 at 09:47 AM   #17
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

I find myself recopying nearly everything I've written 3-4 times before a test/exam. You'd be amazed how many times you can do the same example and intentionally forget the answer.

I've always been a bullets guy. I usually use dots for points, and elaborate under neath with arrows.

naval23 says thanks to WalkerBlue for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-30-2012 at 11:59 AM   #18
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
It would be easier to scan all your notes onto a computer instead. Although that's quite time consuming as well.
Easier, but then you don't get the benefit of re-copying out your notes--many people find it's a good way to study or learn information.

naval23 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-30-2012 at 12:27 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Check out these similar threads:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ods-29400.html
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...eas-47535.html
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ing-51876.html

naval23 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-30-2012 at 05:34 PM   #20
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.98e24 View Post
I use headings and point form notes. I find colour extremely helpful (especially with orgo notes) but I highly detest using highlighters and prefer using colour pencils to shade in/underline what you would have highlighted. Coloured pens are also useful for annotating things that you often forget or are crucial to understanding a pattern/trend, etc...
How do you use colour in your notes and does it get distracting?
Old 06-30-2012 at 05:40 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Just use different colours. You can use red, green or purple pens. And there's also the bright coloured Bic pens (https://s3.amazonaws.com/luuux-origi...G_0421_11.JPG). I stopped doing that after first year, but I thought it was really helpful. Makes notes less boring, and not distracting .

naval23 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-30-2012 at 05:43 PM   #22
naval23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Just use different colours. You can use red, green or purple pens. And there's also the bright coloured Bic pens (https://s3.amazonaws.com/luuux-origi...G_0421_11.JPG). I stopped doing that after first year, but I thought it was really helpful. Makes notes less boring, and not distracting .
lol yeah that's true, it definitely makes notes more interesting, as long as you don't use like 7 colours
Old 06-30-2012 at 05:48 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
lol yeah that's true, it definitely makes notes more interesting, as long as you don't use like 7 colours
.... Ehem, guilty :/
Old 06-30-2012 at 06:03 PM   #24
naval23

Quote:
To those that colour code your notes, how exactly do you do it?

Is it like blue for headings, black for points, red for title?
Old 06-30-2012 at 06:05 PM   #25
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
How much do you highlight and what do you highlight? Does it become distracting with all the different colours and if there's too much highlighting?

I like the arrows and bullets idea.

And I guess you use the heading method, where you have a heading, and then just point-form notes right?
I usually highlight the headings so I know when a new section of the lecture begins. I'll star something that is either my idea about material (that the prof hasn't mentioned) and I intend to use in an essay, and I star anything that the prof says will be on an exam. My normal writing is cursive so I will print any word that is important. Also, I usually just use bullets under headings, as you mentioned, but if there is then a sub-point that pertains to that "bullet" then I'll use an arrow to indicate it underneath.

naval23 says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-30-2012 at 06:12 PM   #26
naval23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I usually highlight the headings so I know when a new section of the lecture begins. I'll star something that is either my idea about material (that the prof hasn't mentioned) and I intend to use in an essay, and I star anything that the prof says will be on an exam. My normal writing is cursive so I will print any word that is important. Also, I usually just use bullets under headings, as you mentioned, but if there is then a sub-point that pertains to that "bullet" then I'll use an arrow to indicate it underneath.
Do you colour-code your notes or do you find it distracting?
Old 06-30-2012 at 06:32 PM   #27
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
I use black ink for text and drawings (ex. of molecules) and colour for shading things like the reagents involved in reactions, or for the name of the reaction. It makes things pop out when I'm flipping through my notes, so if I need to find a reagent, I can just look for the blue-coloured parts in my notes. So colour becomes very helpful and makes things efficient, and is not distracting at all. My notes aren't a sea of colour! I use it for organization and efficiency, not to make my notes more interesting. There aren't very many colours in my notes at all - just multiple uses of the same few.

In terms of coloured pens, I only use red, because it really pops out among black text. You could use more colours but I only use one so that I know that anything in red text is super important, or if it's something I tend to forget. There are no continuums of red = most important, orange = kind of important, etc... Coloured pens are used for writing out important facts and coloured pencils are used to bring attention to trends/patterns. Just think about what would be most helpful to you when it's around exams and you need to refer to something quickly. I wouldn't waste time making headings different colours from main points and that different from subpoints ... what is most important is that you know certain facts, and that you translate that proper emphasis into your notes.

I also find that I do a lot of boxing/underlining in my notes. It helps when I summarize a concept in a few words or a drawing and makes it easy for me to find.

But don't worry too much about this stuff. When you get into the swing of things, you will very quickly realize what works for you

Last edited by 5.98e24 : 06-30-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2012 at 07:45 PM   #28
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times

If it is a pure memorization/theory class; question method.

What are the 5 muscles in the back?
- m1
- m2

That way, when I am studying, I can quiz myself going through my notes. I would cover up the bullets (the answers), while prompting myself with the question.