MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding deferring physics 1b03 exam ShesTheMan Academics 5 04-14-2011 11:32 AM
Strategically deferring Midterms CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 03-04-2011 01:58 AM
Deferring an Exam siefer1322 Academics 12 12-13-2010 03:58 PM
Getting a sick note? crispyduck Academics 20 10-28-2010 10:29 PM
TRICK OR TREAT for SICK KIDS Chad General Discussion 1 10-21-2008 07:59 PM

Anyone else sick of everyone deferring tests?

Old 02-11-2012 at 04:15 PM   #16
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
It takes you 60 hours to study for 3 midterms? Lol...
Is that studying or "studying"? Just having a book in front of you for 8 hours but only accomplishing 20 minutes of work isn't really studying.
I do this all the time and if I didn't, i probably wouldnt be passing a couple of my classes. I usually start studying a week or more before if i have 3+ midterms so that way im prepared
Old 02-11-2012 at 04:18 PM   #17
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
From what I have seen in EE, the midterm percentage will be moved to the final exam when you use the MSAF.

For example, the midterm is worth 15% and the final exam is worth 55% and decided to MSAF it. The final exam is now worth 80%. So pretty much, if you fail the exam. You fail the course.

In most cases, the exam is never easy... like 3EJ4. The midterms pretty much works in your favor if you study your ass off for it.
15 + 55 = 70 ಠ_ಠ

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 02-11-2012 at 04:24 PM   #18
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
How would you like me to respond to this? My mid terms are all worth 50%, each consists of 10 chapters each. I cant afford to get less than 90% on each, Provost is my goal and I will achieve it. The test banks are bought from external sources. I have earned every grade fairly without the need of test banks. I dont intend on changing anytime soon.
Ah, I made the assumption that you had 2 midterms/class the way most science courses do. My bad. 20 hours per midterm seems more acceptable if it's half way through your course, I suppose.

For us, midterms are like beginning of Feb, and beginning/middle of March - it really shouldn't take 20 hours to study for a month of class.
Old 02-11-2012 at 04:37 PM   #19
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

MSAF is for weaklings. I had a kidney failure the night before a midterm and still went to write it.
Old 02-11-2012 at 04:49 PM   #20
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
How would you like me to respond to this? My mid terms are all worth 50%, each consists of 10 chapters each. I cant afford to get less than 90% on each, Provost is my goal and I will achieve it. The test banks are bought from external sources. I have earned every grade fairly without the need of test banks. I dont intend on changing anytime soon.
That's amazing Commie. I'm aiming for the Provost starting next year. The DHL is mine this year . I never MSAFed yet, and I probably never will unless I really need to.
Old 02-11-2012 at 06:11 PM   #21
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

It doesn't only happen at McMaster. This is common at ALL Universities. I know people abuse the sh*t out of and some really use it to their advantage to maximize study time, but thats their problem. If you take it away though what happens to people who actually need it?
Old 02-11-2012 at 06:38 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFett View Post

Anyone else sick of everyone deferring tests?
If you're so sick, maybe you should use an MSAF?

Old 02-11-2012 at 07:40 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Students are so lazy.

Time manage and study more efficiently.

I personally love stories of students sitting in the ER until 4 AM in the morning to get a sick note, only to get turned down by the doctor.

Old 02-11-2012 at 08:18 PM   #24
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFett View Post
Constantly I will have 2-3 midterms roll up in one week and I'll study my ass off. I'm not one to get involved in other peoples business but the advantage people are receiving is ridiculous. Even beyond the MSAF, McMaster is a joke for submitting doctors notes/its a joke to get a doctor's note.

People are lowering 3 midterms in a week to 1 midterm. They effectively have 3x the focus I have and I am at a disadvantage for being honest. I don't think the office even looks into cases because people defer tests at 9pm the night before and then write another one at 10am the next morning. I like the steps they are taking to limit the MSAF. I believe the MSAF where its at right now is pretty reasonable. But if someone wants to defer they can defer half their midterms due to doctors notes/connections. I know people that do this compulsively and it is working out for them amazingly. I talk to other people at different universities and they don't even understand the concept of our MSAF! Why is Mac such a joke for this

Don't even get me started on leaked answer keys/question pools. Ugh! Sorry just venting.
Chillax bro! Stop whining about your petty issues. There are so many things that are wrong with this world. A child who through no fault of his own was born in Africa, and is now dying of hunger. You don't see him or a million such people whining about that.

Life's not fair, you gotta accept that and get on with it.

I don't agree with MSAF either, or the fake doctor's notes, but you've got to realize that these students who are using MSAF, and what not to defer their midterms and exams, won't get such a excuse when they are working and have a family. Some time or the other they will have to learn time management the hard way.

And people : stop down-voting a student's post just coz they don't agree with you. This is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
From what I have seen in EE, the midterm percentage will be moved to the final exam when you use the MSAF.

For example, the midterm is worth 15% and the final exam is worth 55% and decided to MSAF it. The final exam is now worth 80%. So pretty much, if you fail the exam. You fail the course.

In most cases, the exam is never easy... like 3EJ4. The midterms pretty much works in your favor if you study your ass off for it.
55+15=80? No wonder you find most of your exams difficult!

Quote:
I really dont care about the msaf. 9/10 times they bomb the exam. The test banks is what I have an issue with. I spent 60+ hours studying for 3 midterms and this dude I know is like. ye i just memorized the answers from the test bank.
60+ hours studying? Bro, something's not right here!
Old 02-11-2012 at 08:45 PM   #25
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
Chillax bro! Stop whining about your petty issues. There are so many things that are wrong with this world. A child who through no fault of his own was born in Africa, and is now dying of hunger. You don't see him or a million such people whining about that.

Life's not fair, you gotta accept that and get on with it.

I don't agree with MSAF either, or the fake doctor's notes, but you've got to realize that these students who are using MSAF, and what not to defer their midterms and exams, won't get such a excuse when they are working and have a family. Some time or the other they will have to learn time management the hard way.

And people : stop down-voting a student's post just coz they don't agree with you. This is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

55+15=80? No wonder you find most of your exams difficult!

60+ hours studying? Bro, something's not right here!
Commie wants to get on the Provost Roll, so no, not really.
Old 02-11-2012 at 09:54 PM   #26
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Commie wants to get on the Provost Roll, so no, not really.
The people I know closest to Provost (i.e., 11.9 or higher) spend far, far less than 20 hours/midterm. More like 6-10. I still think it's fairly inefficient to be spending that much time studying. I think anyone who attends class and does their work/readings/assignments during the term would only have to spend 10 hours max reviewing.

I guess it depends on the guy but there are better ways to spend time than studying without dropping below 90%. After like 10-12 hours you're probably at diminishing returns. Is it really worth it to spend almost double the time studying as you normally would to go from a 95% to a 98%?

Old 02-12-2012 at 02:21 PM   #27
person33

Liked: 53 Times

theres time management and then there is not having balance- if you are studying 60+ hours a week is way overdoing it- the way i see it i could do every single reading thoroughly, probably get a 90 average but then i would still be missing out on doing things that are fun and that i enjoy. when i came to university it was with the mind set that school at this point is my full time job- most full time hours are 40 a week so i feel like im on the right track if i use that time to not only just study the material but do assignments, read the newspaper, watch cnn and other news sources (useful for me in poli sci)
Old 02-12-2012 at 02:45 PM   #28
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

I only have used the sickness form once because I had to go to NYC for my cousin's funeral and my prof wouldn't give me a make-up date...

I had 6 exams in 5 days last year, and did them all. It sickens me to hear that people abuse the system like this, but to me it's just another piece of doodoo on the joke that a university experience can be. Don't get me wrong, university is very rewarding, but some people (a growing number it seems) are taking advantage of any measures they can to make their lives easier...
Old 02-12-2012 at 03:11 PM   #29
R633

Liked: 24 Times

I agree than many are taking advantage of the MSAF system, but it is only a short term solution. Many courses transfer the weight of the midterm to the final exam and if you can't handle 3 midterms in one week, how do you expect to handle potentially 3 exams in one week... with one being worth probably 55-70% of your final grade? Yes, the MSAF will help you for that one stressful week, but you must think long term because you wont have the luxury of MSAF come exams.
Old 02-12-2012 at 03:13 PM   #30
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Who cares? Let them MSAF left and right.

Do what others won't do today. Tomorrow you'll do what they can't ...............