MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attending mcmaster university this fall EngineBoy General Discussion 8 06-25-2011 01:17 PM
You opinion on attending classes with... Cliu91 Academics 6 10-13-2010 11:24 AM
Attending other lectures waldo92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-31-2010 02:49 PM
attending mixed cores due to conflict? andru First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-13-2009 12:23 AM
Attending ECON 1BB3 Lectures? Kurt_ Academics 3 12-24-2008 05:42 PM

Attending Classes You're Not Enroled In

Old 08-04-2012 at 01:35 PM   #1
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Attending Classes You're Not Enroled In
Hi everyone. I was wondering if you are allowed to attend cores of classes you aren't enrolled in? For example, I'm currently enrolled in HTHSCI 1PA3 (Current Topics in Biochem/Biomed Sciences). However, if I were to drop it for another class, could I still attend the core and listen in? Are there rules against that?

Thank you!
Old 08-04-2012 at 01:46 PM   #2
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

No one is going to stop you, but if it's a class that fills up quickly, keep in mind you may be preventing people who are actually enrolled from having a seat. This is pretty rare though.
Old 08-04-2012 at 09:03 PM   #3
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

You're technically not supposed to, but it's not likely that anything will be done about you going. If it's a big class then no one will notice. Maybe it's just my experience, but maybe you shouldn't tell anyone in that class that you're not registered, either. I mentioned to my friend once just in passing that someone I knew was sitting in on her class, and she got really ticked off.

Things get a little dicey when you try to sit in on an upper year class where there are less students. You're more likely to be noticed.
Old 08-04-2012 at 09:47 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

They don't care. They only care if it starts getting full and no seats. You just can't access the homework on avenue (if any ) and no tests.
Old 08-04-2012 at 09:49 PM   #5
Quiver

Thanks for the replies! There just happens to be many classes I'd like to take and not enough space to do it...

Is it possible to 'overload', provided that you pay the extra money?
Old 08-04-2012 at 09:58 PM   #6
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

my friend dragged me in one of his classes. I'm not even enrolled in it but it was interesting to listen to the lecture the professor was given. Professors wouldn't mind it all really, but you can't do assignments and stuff...
Old 08-04-2012 at 10:16 PM   #7
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

No one would care, or bother you. I did that a couple of times in first year. Just make sure the if the class has IClicker questions that are for marks, so they don't get messed up between cores.
Old 08-04-2012 at 10:23 PM   #8
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I do this all the time. If you're in Life Sci and taking first-year math, you might have even seen me in one of your classes :D
Old 08-04-2012 at 10:28 PM   #9
Quiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
No one would care, or bother you. I did that a couple of times in first year. Just make sure the if the class has IClicker questions that are for marks, so they don't get messed up between cores.
Sorry? So I should make sure that the class ... doesn't have iClicker questions? I don't think I understand, sorry. ):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I do this all the time. If you're in Life Sci and taking first-year math, you might have even seen me in one of your classes
Heh, that's good to know. I'm actually enter first year next month, though. If you don't mind me asking - why first year math?

Also, I suppose the vibe I'm getting is that it's fine to do it, right? Specifically I'm looking at dropping 1PA3 (it's pass/fail and doesn't seem like it's that much work at any rate, just mostly listening to researchers) and just going to the lectures the entire term to listen...
Old 08-04-2012 at 10:43 PM   #10
pinkprincess

Liked: 3 Times

I wouldn't recommend it if it's a course you're REALLY interested in and want to attend the class on a regular basis. Once you become busy with other classes you'll most likely end up not going because you don't technically have to.

The only "problem" with sitting in is if you're in a small class where the prof gets to know everyone. Although I highly doubt the prof would kick you out unless you're somehow hindering the registered students. If you find yourself in such a small class, you can always talk to the prof and ask if it'd be okay. This was the case with a student in two of the language courses I took last year.

I wouldn't worry if there are lots of courses you're interested in taking. You have plenty of time to take them before you graduate. You also have summer school as an option: either take your required courses then so you have room during the regular year for electives, or take those courses in summer school if they're offered.
Don't overload in your first year. Wait and see how you'll do in school and how much you can handle before taking on too much!
Old 08-04-2012 at 11:02 PM   #11
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

yea, once you get busy u wont go to classes youre not enrolled in anyways most likely. you wont even go to classes youre enrolled in too sometimes lol.

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 08-04-2012 at 11:11 PM   #12
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

If you attend from the first week (or relatively early on) then it is unlikely to be a problem, but if you drop in like once or twice during the whole semester then you may get noticed.

In one of my second year classes of around 100, a guy's friend sat in the lecture in the third month in, and the prof asked him if he was actually in the class. The guy said no, and the prof told him to get out. The prof was annoyed to, so the bigger the class the easier it is
Old 08-05-2012 at 12:34 AM   #13
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
Sorry? So I should make sure that the class ... doesn't have iClicker questions? I don't think I understand, sorry. ):
I think they were talking about attending a different core of a class you are already taking. For example, going to a different physics lecture than the one you were assigned for the same course but with a different prof. If iClickers are a part of your grade, you may not get the marks for it.

Usually profs don't have a problem with students who come to the class that they are not registered in, especially if it's a big class. I remember last year in math 1zc3 with McLean there was one time where so many people sat in on the lecture (who were not enrolled) that all the seats filled up and people were forced to sit on the stairs. The stairs filled up completely within the first 5 minutes and there were still more people coming in. And it was a BIG class since it was the large lecture hall in BSB. There were so many people that it became a fire hazard and the prof had to cancel the class. It was annoying for the people like me who were actually enrolled in his class, since we had to miss the lecture and fall behind.
McLean is an awesome prof though.

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 08-05-2012 at 02:06 AM   #14
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

If you pay a fee you can audit the course, which means you are "registered" in the course, but won't complete assignments or write tests. You have to have the prereqs for the course and I think it shows up on your transcript that you audited.

yummy! likes this.
Old 08-05-2012 at 06:06 AM   #15
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
If you pay a fee you can audit the course, which means you are "registered" in the course, but won't complete assignments or write tests. You have to have the prereqs for the course and I think it shows up on your transcript that you audited.
lol I never knew that that was a thing. I just assumed auditing a course meant just going to ones you're not enrolled in.

Going to the lecture but not completing assignments or writing tests, that kinda pretty well what I did what a lot of my courses over the years. Yeah, a lot of CANCELS on my transcript.