MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meet The Candidates - Casey Chad Presidentials 2010 0 02-02-2010 12:11 AM
The rink at oak knoll park HG88 Athletics & Recreation 2 12-17-2009 09:01 PM
Where can I park for just a week? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 10-06-2009 04:01 PM

Casey Park

Old 01-23-2010 at 09:04 AM   #31
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post
Hi Casey,

Two questions:

1) Would you literally bring all student fees listed in Bylaw 5 to referendum? If not, which fees would you exclude, and on what basis?

2) Which fees, in your opinion, are "obsolete"? Put another way, if student fees were brought to a referendum, which fees would you personally be in favour of repealing?

Thanks.
Hey Matt!

In the consultations for developing my Presidential Platform, a constant complaint was the plethora of fees that students have to pay. The list of fees that are broken down when you receive a receipt of your tuition is quite daunting.

When developing a solution to this problem, we looked back historically at how fees were implemented and levied on the student body. Many of the fees in Bylaw 5 (Financial Affairs) Section 2.2.2 and 2.2.3 have been voted upon by a cohort of students that attended McMaster long before current undergraduates stepped foot on campus.

By allowing students to decide which fees in the two aforementioned sections they want to keep and which to jettison, the fees the MSU currently charges will be more representative of the whims of the student body.

Furthermore, as for allegations that this is unrealistic, the Alma Mater Society at Queens University runs several referrenda per elections term. In the direction of the work of the SRA has done this year, we are potentially headed to an online voting system next year which would help logistically with implementing this massive potential referendum.

As for your second question, I do believe that the affirmation or repealing of student fees are up to the students, not the President of the Students Union. In my mind, I am picturing a giant "free" vote where campaign sides can be made for each referendum and students in 2010/2011 can decide where they want their money to go.

Furthermore, I want to add a provision to Bylaw 5 that would make automatic referenda for all student fees in section 2.2.2 and 2.2.3 necessary every four years (the average turn-over for an undergraduate student) which would make fees more representative of the current population of students.

Thanks for the question.

Last edited by casey.park : 01-23-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2010 at 01:25 PM   #32
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Hi Casey,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

If I understand you correctly, you want to bring each fee in section 2.2.2 (Incite, OPIRG-MSU, MUSC Building Fee) and section 2.2.3 (Student Services, Administrative Services, Ath & Rec Building Fund, Ath & Rec Activity, Student Health Services) of Bylaw 5 to referendum.

I agree with you that the decision to repeal these fees properly belongs to undergraduate students-at-large; this is why referenda are necessary in order to make changes to the fee structure. However, I want to get a better sense of what result you want to see come of this. You mentioned that some fees are "obsolete" - which fees are they?

Before this issue is brought to referendum, there ought to be a sentiment that something should change. As you're no doubt aware, running a referendum (particularly one as complicated as this) is a resource-intensive process, and I am concerned that if there is no clear mandate or reason for such a referendum it will simply end up being a waste of students' time and (ironically) money. If you are going to push for a referendum (and garner the support of a majority of the SRA in order to do so), there should be a thorough, specific argument made as to why the status quo is inadequate.

Though I agree that today's students should not be bound by the decisions of previous students in cases where it would be unreasonable, I believe that for most of the fees listed above it would be irresponsible to repeal them. Fees such as the MUSC Building Fee and the Ath & Rec Building Fee exist as part of long-term (decades-long) commitments by the MSU to enhance student life in tandem with financial contributions from the University and other campus groups (e.g. MAPS). I would be happy to elaborate more on the history and purpose of the MUSC Building Fee as it is one that I know a bit more about.

On the topic of the MUSC Building Fee, what would be the purpose in moving to repeal it when it is set to expire in Spring 2011?

Regarding your proposed amendment of Bylaw 5 - Financial Affairs, you'll recall that the Bylaws & Procedures Committee discussed an issue similar to this in the context of its Fall 2009 Constitutional Review. Rather than triggering automatic and potentially-wasteful referenda, we decided that a more reasonable course of action would be to require that a committee of the SRA review old referendum decisions to discuss whether they are still appropriate given the current climate at McMaster. Additionally, we limited this requirement to policy decisions, as most of the ancillary fees collected are intended to be long-term (as mentioned above).

If you're looking to make changes to Bylaw 5, I hope that you'll consult the Bylaws & Procedures Commissioner (me) and the Finance Commissioner (Boccaccio), as well as our replacements on the 2010-2011 SRA.

Please let me know if I can be of help in providing further commentary (e.g. on the MUSC fee).

Boccaccio, McIntyre, Nosh like this.
Old 01-23-2010 at 01:58 PM   #33
Dave.Moore

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Almost all fees listed in MSU Bylaw 5 have been approved by referendum or General Assembly. The exception is the MSU Operating Fund Fee ($111.05) which has been set by the SRA (the last non-CPI increase was in 1990).

It's one thing to say "ditch/jettison" fees over which the MSU has direct control (health plan, dental plan, yearbook, radio station, etc.). A thoughtful conversation can be had about the merits of each of those fees.

I believe you'll find that once a University fee is approved by the referendum (e.g. Athletics & Recreation Activity Fee, Student Services, Student Health Services), the administration will be unlikely agree to repeal a fee (referendum or not). Indeed, while provincial government policy specifically requires student consent to institute new [or increased] compulsory supplementary fees, there is no requirement to government requirement that binds universities to implement a fee repeal decision passed in a referendum.

Another consideration is the contractual nature of some fee commitments. The Athletics & Recreation Building Fund Fee, as an example, is locked in permanently. It will pay off the students' $20 million commitment to capital costs, plus debt servicing (another $15+ million), and then half of the operating costs in perpetuity. That was the deal to get the DBAC built.

Similarly, while the MUSC term loan for capital costs will be retired in 2010-2011, the fee itself is likely to remain in place at a reduced level in order to fund the MSU's full share of operating costs for the building (which kick in once the term loan is paid off). The fee won't need to be as high, but in 1999 the MSU made a permanent contractual commitment to a fee if necessary to fund the MSU share of operating costs.

My point is that while the student body certainly has the option to reconsider the future of some of the fees, it does not have the ability to "ditch" all of them.

Boccaccio, deadpool, emtee10, huzaifa47, jmbauman, lorend, McIntyre, Nosh all say thanks to Dave.Moore for this post.
Old 01-24-2010 at 11:21 AM   #34
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

Commons!
Casey Park is at Commons Marketplace enjoying a meal and talking to students! Feel free to stop by and voice your concerns about the MSU or learn more about the most talked about campaign on campus!
Old 01-24-2010 at 02:10 PM   #35
jmgk

Liked: 18 Times

Well I have been banned from Casey's Facebook group so I couldn't read if there were any answers to my questions. I will ask here again and I'll just copy and paste the ones I wrote because I feel these are important points for me to know and understand to be able to make an accurate vote.

You are currently under a probationary period for not following your SRA house leader year plan and promises. Now you have a campaign in which you make no promises to the MSU. Does this mean you do not wish to be held accountable for your actions and attempting to win this election only to add a title to your resume? The SRA put you on a probationary period to fix many of the problems that you created, have you followed through and how do you anticipate that you will stay motivated when no one is looking over your shoulder to ensure that you are doing your job as president? If you are unable to fulfil your duties in a role which has only a fraction of the workload of President of the MSU, how can you possibly fathom you will be able to handle the position? Additionally, why is it that instead of informing classes about your MSU history and what you are all about, why do you insist on singing songs to distract students from the real issues?
I would just like to ask some follow up questions as well. The SRA deemed you as unprofessional and a poor communicator and put you on probationary terms to reconcile these problems instead of recalling you. What measures have you taken to improve your oral, verbal and written communication skills? Also it becomes far more difficult to impose such restrictions on the MSU President how will you stay professional and continue to be motivated to properly deal with day to day issues? If you as House Leader allowed for communication to fall apart within the SRA, how can you maintain the notion that you will be able to communicate effectively with students, McMaster administration, Hamilton community, Hamilton community leaders, and executives outside the McMaster setting? A breakdown of communication at these levels could cost the MSU a great deal of money and be detrimental to the rest of the student union.

You have also admitted to leaving the position as Faculty Wide Welcome Week Planner two weeks before the position finished to focus on your role as House Leader. It has come to my attention that you have applied to medical schools (as many do in the Health Sciences faculty) how can the voting public be convinced that you will not leave your position (if elected President) to attend medical school? Surely becoming a doctor must be a very near and dear aspiration for you and could trump the position of being President. This type of action could seriously injure the MSU as a whole and can we take that risk?

Old 01-24-2010 at 02:20 PM   #36
casey.park
SRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgk View Post
Well I have been banned from Casey's Facebook group so I couldn't read if there were any answers to my questions. I will ask here again and I'll just copy and paste the ones I wrote because I feel these are important points for me to know and understand to be able to make an accurate vote.

You are currently under a probationary period for not following your SRA house leader year plan and promises. Now you have a campaign in which you make no promises to the MSU. Does this mean you do not wish to be held accountable for your actions and attempting to win this election only to add a title to your resume? The SRA put you on a probationary period to fix many of the problems that you created, have you followed through and how do you anticipate that you will stay motivated when no one is looking over your shoulder to ensure that you are doing your job as president? If you are unable to fulfil your duties in a role which has only a fraction of the workload of President of the MSU, how can you possibly fathom you will be able to handle the position? Additionally, why is it that instead of informing classes about your MSU history and what you are all about, why do you insist on singing songs to distract students from the real issues?
I would just like to ask some follow up questions as well. The SRA deemed you as unprofessional and a poor communicator and put you on probationary terms to reconcile these problems instead of recalling you. What measures have you taken to improve your oral, verbal and written communication skills? Also it becomes far more difficult to impose such restrictions on the MSU President how will you stay professional and continue to be motivated to properly deal with day to day issues? If you as House Leader allowed for communication to fall apart within the SRA, how can you maintain the notion that you will be able to communicate effectively with students, McMaster administration, Hamilton community, Hamilton community leaders, and executives outside the McMaster setting? A breakdown of communication at these levels could cost the MSU a great deal of money and be detrimental to the rest of the student union.

You have also admitted to leaving the position as Faculty Wide Welcome Week Planner two weeks before the position finished to focus on your role as House Leader. It has come to my attention that you have applied to medical schools (as many do in the Health Sciences faculty) how can the voting public be convinced that you will not leave your position (if elected President) to attend medical school? Surely becoming a doctor must be a very near and dear aspiration for you and could trump the position of being President. This type of action could seriously injure the MSU as a whole and can we take that risk?
Well Jared. Your accusations actually make me sound somewhat illiterate, but I think it's fairly obvious given my classroom talks, lobbying experience, and written communications to students that I'm an excellent communicator. The SRA never questioned my actual ability to communicate.

Also, I applied to medical school to keep my options open. Of course, if I do win the Presidency and matriculate to a Medical School, I will defer the admission. Are MSU Presidents only allowed to run without thinking about their lives after the election? Thanks for the concern, though!

As for the answer for the Faculty Wide Planner and House Leader criticisms, you can find quite a thorough answer in response to Jeff Bontis on my Facebook group.

You're the best, Jared!
Old 01-24-2010 at 02:24 PM   #37
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Hey Casey,

I think the problem is Jared was blocked from your Facebook Group as he said - he can't see that response. You seem to be happy only communicating with those that are completely in support of everything you do and are not open to any criticisms as shown by blocking those that question aspects of your platform/experience. Will this be the type of democracy we experience next year if you are elected?

jmgk likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 02:26 PM   #38
casey.park
SRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
Hey Casey,

I think the problem is Jared was blocked from your Facebook Group as he said - he can't see that response. You seem to be happy only communicating with those that are completely in support of everything you do and are not open to any criticisms as shown by blocking those that question aspects of your platform/experience. Will this be the type of democracy we experience next year if you are elected?
Just replied to you via Facebook!

There's a difference between criticism and slander, John.

This group is for supporters of Casey Park and students who generally want to find about my platform points and direction I want to take the MSU.

It is also to facilitate discussion and to address concerns and criticism. Let me reiterate that point; criticism, NOT slander.

If a student has criticism or concerns based on facts and word them in a constructive matter, I will personally respond to each on this Facebook group and thus far have not deleted any posts of this nature both on this group and on my Facebook wall.

However, as you can probably agree, slander is inappropriate and I will not stand for this.

Thanks, John!
Old 01-24-2010 at 02:30 PM   #39
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Please watch your use of the word slander, your inappropriate use of this has already had to be addressed by the Speaker of the SRA via memo recently. Mr. Kunar was asking difficult questions based on his opinion, which falls under fair comment and is absolutely not slander. I hope that you begin to use the word properly in the future.

Last edited by McIntyre : 01-24-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: missed out on a past tense!

Old 01-24-2010 at 02:38 PM   #40
jmgk

Liked: 18 Times

I in no way intended to use any form of libel (not slander). The question about communication improvements should be taken at face value as we all have areas we can work to improve on. I just thought it appeared to be an issue, but since the MSU used a closed session to talk about this (required) but it makes it hard for me to understand exactly what went on and is going on.

Sorry it seemed offensive but they really were just questions that I believed would help me judge your character more effectively. I cannot make a vote based upon campaign material alone. I need to feel a connection to that person and see if their values are similar to my own.

So sorry I offended you I was just trying to get a little more information.

Old 01-24-2010 at 03:06 PM   #41
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

I have similar concerns as Jared and am questioning whether it's possible for you to be able to not be completely unprofessional and insulting at any given moment. I remember you in your role as a faculty-wide planner and, after seeing you in that position, I have extreme doubts in your character. I strongly believe that Mr. Park's character is NOT suitable for this position.

Last edited by florencem. : 01-24-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Puppies45 likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 04:19 PM   #42
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I will chime in and agree with Jared Kunar since I saw his post last night. I don't believe it was slander in any case; Slander is is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image.

There was nothing he said that Implied as being factual. Had he accused of something you didn't do then that would be slander, but then again I am very Liberal when it comes to these things so if someone else wants to chime in and provide a different definition of Slander I'll be happy to hear you out!

Mr Kunar was/is simply re-iterating what the SRA as a majority decided upon, aka the official two weeks notice or has he reffered to it as "probationary" period that you are still technically under. He hence had a right as a MSU student with free speech rights to question you about the concerns that the highest student representative body had regarding your job performance(bar a few abstentions). I believe the President is a role model in the way he represents the organization and his communication strategies to increase outreach, hence I don't see WHY those aren't valid questions about your "platform". We won't elect you based on your ideas about free OUA games, or slashing MSU fees or signing a 100% exclusivity contract. We will though elect you on the basis of how we as MSU members feel you can present yourselves to the student body and most importantly improve the barrier of disengagement that we suffer from.

I found it very sad when I checked my laptop today to see that you chose to delete Mr Kunars post to keep a pristine image on your group and not have to talk about your role as a public official right now for the MSU(House Leader); I believe you are still publicly accountable for that job till SRA Generals in March.

I was though totally expecting you to defend against those arguments and present a convincing argument as to why you will do a much better job on both accounts as president. :(

The SRA members were in agreement that the Recall meeting was productive and all parties will take something positive out of it, that sadly doesn't appear to be the case. And you also chose to delete my post yesterday on your facebook group as an Operations Committee member regarding my views on Registration Systems part of your platform.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-24-2010 at 04:46 PM   #43
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
Well Jared. Your accusations actually make me sound somewhat illiterate, but I think it's fairly obvious given my classroom talks, lobbying experience, and written communications to students that I'm an excellent communicator. The SRA never questioned my actual ability to communicate.

Also, I applied to medical school to keep my options open. Of course, if I do win the Presidency and matriculate to a Medical School, I will defer the admission. Are MSU Presidents only allowed to run without thinking about their lives after the election? Thanks for the concern, though!

As for the answer for the Faculty Wide Planner and House Leader criticisms, you can find quite a thorough answer in response to Jeff Bontis on my Facebook group.

You're the best, Jared!
You would defer medical school to be a MSU president? If true, thats impressive considering how many students would give their life to go to medical school. Either way, as a candidate you have put yourself up for other students to question you motives. Your strengths will only show if you know how to answer without getting defensive.
Old 01-24-2010 at 05:05 PM   #44
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Is Casey Park applying to Med School?

if it is, it is extremely obvious that he does all these things to put onto his resume. (isn't that why anyone runs for MSU)?

either way you'd have to be extremely stupid to vote for Casey. Come on, he was just nearly recalled from the SRA! It is way too obvious

please drop out of the election! You Casey Park, are showing the reasons why the thinking student population at this school don't give a **** about this election.

Last edited by andrew22 : 01-24-2010 at 05:09 PM.

florencem., manu all say thanks to andrew22 for this post.

Old 01-24-2010 at 05:22 PM   #45
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I'm tired of the facebook spammage. I posted a comment about it on one of Casey's supporters and it got deleted. I posted another, and it got deleted. Too bad I print screened.

why so much censorship?!?!?

...and please stop the spam. I'm super serial about that.