MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New soft drink provider dabulls General Discussion 48 09-15-2010 11:07 PM
Internet Provider atinus Computers & Tech 23 09-08-2010 11:40 PM
Chatr Wireless launches in Canada Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 07-29-2010 03:23 PM
Cell Phone Provider Service aya017 Computers & Tech 18 04-13-2010 12:44 AM
Apple launched the iPad stevennevets Computers & Tech 105 01-29-2010 02:28 PM

Chatr LAUNCHED! (New provider)

Old 07-30-2010 at 12:41 PM   #31
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Not too bad, but 40 bucks is alot for no data...
Umm i don't surf internet and stuff on my cell though. If that what u mean lol. But i get free pic text. Not really much into cell phone stuff lol.
Old 07-30-2010 at 12:53 PM   #32
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Umm i don't surf internet and stuff on my cell though. If that what u mean lol. But i get free pic text. Not really much into cell phone stuff lol.
$40 is still a lot of money for what you're getting. On Wind, for the same price you could get Unlimited minutes, Unlimited texting, Basically free roaming between Toronto and Hamilton, long-distance calls to any Ontario number, and caller ID/call waiting/call forwarding. What you're getting just seems bad in comparison, especially since you could get a similar plan on wind w/ data for less ($15 chat plan + $5 unlimited texting + $10 data = $30 for basically your plan + 50MB of Data).
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:04 PM   #33
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

Does Chatr use sim cards like rogers and fido? Just curious.
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:04 PM   #34
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Exactly my point, so your paying $40 for basic stuff, where others are also paying $40 but get that + data usage.

Look into TELUS student plans, WIND plans. would be better.
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:14 PM   #35
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Does Chatr use sim cards like rogers and fido? Just curious.
Chatr IS Rogers/Fido so all the same phones work on it (So yes, they use Sim cards).
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:44 PM   #36
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Chatr IS Rogers/Fido so all the same phones work on it (So yes, they use Sim cards).
Not necessarily true. Koodo IS Telus, but only recently (month ago?) you can unofficially use the iPhone with Koodo.
Old 07-31-2010 at 01:05 PM   #37
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

been looking at the plans more. For what I want (unlimited talk/text, no data) Wind or any of the others aren't any cheaper and I don't get to keep my GSM phone.

Gonna let my prepaid fido balance run out and pick up a Chatr sim card.
Old 07-31-2010 at 02:07 PM   #38
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
been looking at the plans more. For what I want (unlimited talk/text, no data) Wind or any of the others aren't any cheaper and I don't get to keep my GSM phone.

Gonna let my prepaid fido balance run out and pick up a Chatr sim card.
Unless you really need voice mail and Canada wide long-distance, you can get unlimited talk/text for $22.50/month with wind for the next year (they give you $150 credit for switching from another carrier + the $5 unlimited text package is free for a year) and $40/month after that (which is still $5 cheaper than Chatr). Wind, by a decent margin, has the best plans/deals out of any carrier right now.
Old 07-31-2010 at 03:59 PM   #39
temptingf8
Elite Member

Yes, I need voicemail. And I'm not getting another phone just for the AWS network! I would have to:

1.) sell my current phone for ~200 and shell out another 300 after taxes for a BB Bold 9700, net loss $150 after credit. I'd have a phone that wouldn't have much, if any more functionality than what I currently have, nor is the build quality any better.
2.) sell current phone for ~200 and shell out about 225 for a HTC Maple, net savings $125 and a phone whose look I don't like and no extra functionality and a shittier screen (on paper)
3.) sell current phone and downgrade to something random other phone

Basically, for my case the Wind plans are a BIT cheaper, but not enough to entice me to get a new phone that I don't really want. The money I would save will have barely covered the depreciation that the Nokia E71 has taken in the year I've had it. It's a great phone still even by today's standards and I have no reason to get rid of it.

I have the wifis and the bigger GBs.
Old 08-09-2010 at 04:26 PM   #40
temptingf8
Elite Member

update: Just painlessly switched to the $45 Chatr plan. New SIM card itself was $10. It took about 24 hours to port my number over from Fido.

For adding the monthly auto-pay that charges my credit card, I get a $30 bonus. So yeah, cheaper than anything Wind could have done and I still get to keep my phone.
Old 08-09-2010 at 04:46 PM   #41
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
update: Just painlessly switched to the $45 Chatr plan. New SIM card itself was $10. It took about 24 hours to port my number over from Fido.

For adding the monthly auto-pay that charges my credit card, I get a $30 bonus. So yeah, cheaper than anything Wind could have done and I still get to keep my phone.
how is the network in and around mcmaster?
Old 08-09-2010 at 05:04 PM   #42
temptingf8
Elite Member

Haven't been back to Hamilton yet, but from all indications so far I trust that it will be similar/same to what you get on a Fido or Rogers network.
Old 09-01-2010 at 04:00 AM   #43
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Does it drop around McMaster or anything, or is the service flawless?
Old 09-01-2010 at 04:29 AM   #44
singhb

Liked: 0 Times

I got my plan with chatr for $ 35( unlimited province and unlmtd incoming msgds and 50 outgoing msgs) and i am pretty happy with that .the sweet thing with chatr is that its prepaid monthly plan ,incase you are doing something that is not in your plan you just run out of money and thats it .not like fido , rogers or bell that will keep on making huge mountain on bill at the end of the month .
chatr local zone is from Hamilton to Oshawa and you can call all over the province from this local area.

i hate rogers and its babies but still i went for chatr coz of the better hearing range as compaerd to wind .chatr uses the same towers that rogers use .I feel safe because now i can kick their butt anytime i feel and switch to someone more sweeter.
Old 09-01-2010 at 04:53 AM   #45
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhb View Post
chatr uses the same towers that rogers use .I feel safe because now i can kick their butt anytime i feel and switch to someone more sweeter.

so i'm assuming that coverage is flawless around McMaster ?