MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Study Spots on Campus..... shay2014 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-13-2010 05:08 PM
Chemical Biology and The 30 Spots goodnews.inc Academics 10 03-11-2010 04:43 PM
meal plan/student card and campus food spots Kailoli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-03-2009 09:12 PM
Study Spots / Hidden places on campus hmmmcurious General Discussion 32 12-14-2008 09:45 PM

Date spots around Mac

Old 02-10-2010 at 12:32 PM   #31
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I always go to Bean bar... its cute and cheap so..
Old 02-10-2010 at 03:12 PM   #32
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Mac itself is pretty nice. If she's interested in seeing the campus (as a Mac student, I'm always curious to see other university campuses), see if she wants to go to Bridges or Pheonix. They aren't super fancy but they're nice. Even Williams on Main Street is nice!

Someone else suggested Westdale Theatre and I agree, I would love to go there. See a movie at the theatre, then go to Second Cup (or whatever the closest coffee place is). I don't know why people are so against dinner and a movie, I think that's a great idea. Go to the movie first, then dinner/coffee afterwards so you have something to talk about. I think Westdale theatre only plays one movie at a time though, so check what it is to make sure it's nothing crappy.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 02-10-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2010 at 03:19 PM   #33
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
If they serve alcohol, than yes it is lower. However, the minimum wage for people serving alcohol is still quite a bit.
I guess it depends where you work. I was a waitress 3 years ago without serving alcohol and I made $7. Then 2 years ago, I was a waitress at a regular restaurant AND served alcohol and I made $7.50. I think the minimum wage at these times was $8.50.

Tips without serving alcohol are crap. I'd make like $10 per night - it would never make up for how much less I made than minimum wage. But for some reason, people tip like 3 bucks per drink when they're buying alcohol. I could make up to $100 on an afternoon shift on tips alone.

My advice: never be a waitress, but always tip your waitress.
Old 02-10-2010 at 03:29 PM   #34
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

i dont understand the whole tip thing (not only at resturants, but after a cab ride, pizza delivery). You are doing your job so why should you get a tip? I dont get a tip at my job
Old 02-10-2010 at 04:21 PM   #35
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Haha. This whole thread reminds of this time I went to Bean Bar with a bunch of gals, had the worst service I've ever experienced in my life, told my friends I wasn't tipping, and this art-sci freak girl started bitching me out.

The only person who gets a tip (and a 30-40% tip at that) is my hairdresser. She does a DAMN good job, she's the only person who would EVER dye my hair blonde, her talking to me isn't FORCED small talk, and she's just a fantastic person.

(Hahaha @ that video Andrew posted. Me thinks I'd like that movie. XD)

Edit: What's even better now is the ATROCIOUS and disgustingly expensive delivery charge on pizza... AND they want a tip? Yea effing right.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

BlakeM, Ivan Q. like this.
Old 02-10-2010 at 04:28 PM   #36
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

As The Big Bang Theory said, its a non-optional social convention.
Old 02-10-2010 at 06:43 PM   #37
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
i dont understand the whole tip thing (not only at resturants, but after a cab ride, pizza delivery). You are doing your job so why should you get a tip? I dont get a tip at my job

Yeah it's strange, but its how to government shifts responsability even more on citizens and then you have people telling you it's rude not to tip, or guilt you into it. It really doesn't make sense. Same thing with non-profit organizations, the government doesn't want to provide funding, so they go around asking people to donate.
Old 02-10-2010 at 06:48 PM   #38
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
People usually tip servers because they make less than minimum wage. They make so little because their managers assume they will get tips.

I don't know how much pizza delivery people and cab drivers make. I've heard that pizza delivery people pay for their own gas and they pay for it using their tips, but I don't know if that's true.
Old 02-11-2010 at 12:22 AM   #39
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

I also believe Cab drivers dont make a lot off of the fare because the taxi company charges them for the dispatch, and car use.
Old 02-11-2010 at 02:00 AM   #40
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
People usually tip servers because they make less than minimum wage. They make so little because their managers assume they will get tips.
Servers currently make $1.15 less per hour than the general minimum wage. If you're a waiter and cant make an average of 1.15 an hour in tips, you may want rethink your job choice. Hell, I got regular tips of anywhere from $10 to $100 when I was a mover, which society doesn't even deem tip worthy, and I don't even like talking to people. But I got real good at faking it. If I can do it well enough to pull in tips in that job, waiters can do it too.
Old 02-11-2010 at 02:09 AM   #41
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Pizza delivery tips piss me off. I used to tip a couple bucks, before the companies started charging 3 bucks for it. I actually had a delivery guy back home that bitched about me not tipping. After a few times delivering and not getting one, he stops in the hall, turns around and says "How come you don't tip? Thats 3 times I've come here and you don't tip". I responded with "And now, you're never going to get one, plus your company is getting a call about you being a dick. You got a problem with this, take it up with your company who decided to start charging 3.50 for delivery. GTFO my building". I did call the company about it, and got my pizza, wings, and pop for free. Im sure they didn't like that. He never delivered to my apartment again, and I tipped other drivers from the same place that came, just to make sure they told him they got tipped in the event he still worked there.

I still tip for free delivery service though, though those places are rare nowadays.
Old 02-11-2010 at 02:31 AM   #42
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

My circle of friends and I always tip for everything, it's just a common societal convention and courtesy. Of course if service is bad, the tip is reduced if given at all. But if I knew someone as stingy as people were on this board about tipping, I would probably think they were cheap and arrogant.
Old 02-11-2010 at 09:03 AM   #43
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I also believe Cab drivers dont make a lot off of the fare because the taxi company charges them for the dispatch, and car use.
That's why you ask them for a business card or something and phone them directly next time you want a cab.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-11-2010 at 09:36 AM   #44
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Pizza delivery tips piss me off. I used to tip a couple bucks, before the companies started charging 3 bucks for it. I actually had a delivery guy back home that bitched about me not tipping. After a few times delivering and not getting one, he stops in the hall, turns around and says "How come you don't tip? Thats 3 times I've come here and you don't tip". I responded with "And now, you're never going to get one, plus your company is getting a call about you being a dick. You got a problem with this, take it up with your company who decided to start charging 3.50 for delivery. GTFO my building". I did call the company about it, and got my pizza, wings, and pop for free. Im sure they didn't like that. He never delivered to my apartment again, and I tipped other drivers from the same place that came, just to make sure they told him they got tipped in the event he still worked there.

I still tip for free delivery service though, though those places are rare nowadays.
wow, what the **** is wrong with you? Dick move, not backed.
Old 02-11-2010 at 10:40 AM   #45
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
wow, what the **** is wrong with you? Dick move, not backed.
I agree. If you don't like what the company is charging for delivery, complain to the company - don't take it out on the guy. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking "How come you don't tip me?" If you don't want to, just tell him "Because I'm already charged for delivery". Calling to complain and tipping everyone else except that guy is just unnecessary.

Besides, $3 for delivery isn't that bad. Some places you wouldn't even be able to drive to without paying $3 in gas.