I haven't been yet so I don't know 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1280 adrian Restaurants & Food Reviews 16 09-05-2013 05:26 PM
1280? Qadd General Discussion 31 08-26-2010 09:55 PM
So I went to 1280... SciMania Restaurants & Food Reviews 19 02-12-2010 12:27 AM
1280 joannasmith General Discussion 5 10-03-2009 11:08 AM
What do you want to see from 1280? Nino General Discussion 71 09-22-2009 10:07 AM

Do you like 1280?

Old 09-22-2009 at 05:23 PM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Will that be in the minutes?
Yes, it will. We didn't go into closed session for anything on Sunday, so the entire meeting will be in the minutes.

DannyV says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 09-22-2009 at 05:26 PM   #17
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

Wait a sec...

As proof against my statement regarding blowing their capital budget, your offering a report about their operating budget?

Apples and oranges my friend...
Old 09-22-2009 at 05:28 PM   #18
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCL View Post
Wait a sec...

As proof against my statement regarding blowing their capital budget, your offering a report about their operating budget?

Apples and oranges my friend...
I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm simply stating that 1280 has been successful so far.

I'm waiting for you to prove that the SRA is trying to cover up cost overruns of up to $120,000.

The burden of proof is on the believer my friend.
Old 09-22-2009 at 05:46 PM   #19
Taunton
Elite Member

and nothing....

Anyways, the SRA certainly has no knowledge of overruns... in fact we have paid IRA MacDonald less than the full amount agreed upon because not all of the work is finished yet.

...and yes, that will be in the minutes from Sunday's meeting as well.
Old 09-22-2009 at 05:48 PM   #20
MDCL

My mistake then... I thought you were trying to make apoint with your previous statement.

OK Socrates...our statements are not equivalent.

You say "The MSU planned to spend $380k."

I say "The MSU actually spent $500k."

If you limit your burden of proof to providing PR statements that the MSU planned on spending $380k then you got me, your statement is true, mine is unproven.

I challenge the MSU to provide an audit of the 1280 renovation costs...a lack of said audit will imply that my statement that "The MSU actually spent $500k." is true.
Old 09-22-2009 at 05:53 PM   #21
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
My mistake then... I thought you were trying to make apoint with your previous statement.

OK Socrates...our statements are not equivalent.

You say "The MSU planned to spend $380k."

I say "The MSU actually spent $500k."

If you limit your burden of proof to providing PR statements that the MSU planned on spending $380k then you got me, your statement is true, mine is unproven.

I challenge the MSU to provide an audit of the 1280 renovation costs...a lack of said audit will imply that my statement that "The MSU actually spent $500k." is true.
If you want to see the costs of the renovation, then you are more than welcome to make an appointment with the VP Finanace. I'm certain he would be willing to go over it with you as a concerned student.

Right now, all of the work is not finished, so I doubt that the finance department plans on releasing any final numbers on the project just yet. Like I said, we haven't even paid IRA everything we agreed to in the first place. There also may be penalties against IRA for not completing everything on time. In the end, it wouldn't surprise me if we actually spend less than we originally planned to.

Last edited by Taunton : 09-22-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2009 at 06:04 PM   #22
MDCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
If you want to see the costs of the renovation, then you are more than welcome to make an appointment with the VP Finanace. I'm certain he would be willing to go over it with you as a concerned student.
Taunton, I knew were born at night, I just didn't think it was last night.

Ok..so you're MSU Finance dude and this little 1280 reno job is coming in over budget...what do I do? I can let the invoices roll in and blow my budget or I can use some other MSU budget line item to cover these "inconvenient" invoices that are threatening to make me look like a dufus.

Let's see...I have a 'Cultural Awareness' budget of several thousand k...if 1280 doesnt have the right decor then I'll surely offfend a visible minority,,,only makes sense that I dip into this budget to cover the 1280 interior decorator's invoices...

Just one example..

I don't desire face-to-face time with the VP Finance...I demand an audit.
Old 09-22-2009 at 06:11 PM   #23
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Taunton, I knew were born at night, I just didn't think it was last night.

Ok..so you're MSU Finance dude and this little 1280 reno job is coming in over budget...what do I do? I can let the invoices roll in and blow my budget or I can use some other MSU budget line item to cover these "inconvenient" invoices that are threatening to make me look like a dufus.

Let's see...I have a 'Cultural Awareness' budget of several thousand k...if 1280 doesnt have the right decor then I'll surely offfend a visible minority,,,only makes sense that I dip into this budget to cover the 1280 interior decorator's invoices...

Just one example..

I don't desire face-to-face time with the VP Finance...I demand an audit.
I see what you're saying, and if something like that were to actually happen, it would of course be a huge scandal.

As someone who has been indirectly involved with this project as an SRA member (indirectly involved meaning I've been privy to updates on the subject since it began), I can tell you that I have no reason to believe this is true.

Now, the Corporation is audited every year. If this has indeed happened, it would be uncovered, rest assured.

If something like this were to actually come out during my term, I would consider resigning on principle. That being said, I highly doubt that this would happen, and I do have faith in the Board of Directors thus far.

Last edited by Taunton : 09-22-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2009 at 07:09 PM   #24
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

the one night i did go.. i didnt really like it.. they played too much techno for my liking and i ended up leaving early
Old 09-22-2009 at 07:25 PM   #25
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I went yesterday, and got the 1/2 rack ribs + salad. I personally am not a huge fan of ribs, but these were slightly burnt/crispy(not that great). My friend ordered a burger + lattice fries, which were pretty good. Service was good at first, took a little while to get ready, which is ok since its ribs (I think, can't say I've ever cooked them, so I'm not sure on its prep time), but considering how busy it was (not), it took quite a while to get the visa thing. Going again with friends tomorrow to try out the wings, will see how it goes.
Old 09-22-2009 at 07:35 PM   #26
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Eh is mostly okay, serves students and doesn't afraid of anything.

sdiddy likes this.
Old 09-22-2009 at 08:22 PM   #27
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:

Not calling you a hypocrit, but your reverse burden of proof is quite hypocritical. Now for proof, being at the meetings, and not actually having any say on the money, I can say the construction was no where close to $500,000

On to the food. Food this year is so much better. Everything is fresh, even the burgers! Service is just getting the legs under it. Don't just try it once, give it a second chance, I am sure everyone who was somewhat pleases or not pleased will enjoy it when they go next.
Old 09-22-2009 at 09:08 PM   #28
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
, with certain drink and food sales up by over 200%.
That 200% was for softdrinks If I'm not wrong! LOL I have no idea why we are selling that many soft drinks all of a sudden :S

Is it the influx of frosh who can't drink yet but decided to visit 1280 once because it looked like this shiny new place? Hence they ordered all that soft drink with their food/hanging around? Interesting....but have they come again?..*thinking out loud*

I think the 1280 should leave a small tiny survey with every bill asking if it is their first visit and what year they are in :S

It would go a long way in determining whether the number of Macinsiders users who have over several threads claimed to be unsatisfied are actually a direct sample of all visitors who are dissatisfied/not returning in the near future? *hint hint*

Ben do you recall the other stats by any chance? I think it was 66% for Beer andd 117% for Liquor I think

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MDCL If I may ask what are the cost overruns you are talking about?

Were you alluding to the fact that the SRA(Actually the BOD first) Approved 380k in May/June and have now "apparently" spent $500,000 on the project? :S Where did you hear that? Thanks!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-22-2009 at 09:14 PM   #29
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post

Ben do you recall the other stats by any chance? I think it was 66% for Beer andd 117% for Liquor I think
It was something like that... virtually all product sales were up from last year though, which is great. I understand that this would mostly be caused by the hype surrounding the opening of a new establishment so I do hope that this momentum could be kept up.

As for these rumours of overruns... there's not even a remote chance that the project has cost even close to $500,000. Not even close. Seriously, I'd like to know where this idea even came from.
Old 09-22-2009 at 09:33 PM   #30
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
You mean $375,000.

(a difference of $125,000 which is fairly significant)
Why not also remember the ~$50,000 that was spent on the new speakers and sound system only a few short months before.