I haven't been yet so I don't know 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1280 adrian Restaurants & Food Reviews 16 09-05-2013 05:26 PM
1280? Qadd General Discussion 31 08-26-2010 09:55 PM
So I went to 1280... SciMania Restaurants & Food Reviews 19 02-12-2010 12:27 AM
1280 joannasmith General Discussion 5 10-03-2009 11:08 AM
What do you want to see from 1280? Nino General Discussion 71 09-22-2009 10:07 AM

Do you like 1280?

Old 09-22-2009 at 09:38 PM   #31
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencem. View Post
Why not also remember the ~$50,000 that was spent on the new speakers and sound system only a few short months before.
I'm not sure what your point is, but that wasn't part of the renovation and so isn't included in the cost associated with it.

If you're really concerned about it, the money given to the MSU by Labatt to help fund the renovation will cover it.
Old 09-22-2009 at 09:47 PM   #32
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

I had mentioned it because the point in buying the system was pretty much the same as the point made to renovating the whole place. In a nutshell, it was to try and help business/improve the student experience. Even though it was bought a few months before the reno started, I don't think it's long enough to justify it being forgotten. No matter what sponsorships were given, it still increases the bottom line.

Last edited by florencem. : 09-22-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2009 at 10:00 PM   #33
meerf

Liked: 7 Times

good looking place.. horrible service. my waitress forgot to put in my order and made me wait for 20 mins and at the end of it all, i just got a 10 percent of my next visit... yay? joy?
Old 09-22-2009 at 10:27 PM   #34
Boccaccio

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Why not also remember the ~$50,000 that was spent on the new speakers and sound system only a few short months before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCL
I challenge the MSU to provide an audit of the 1280 renovation costs...a lack of said audit will imply that my statement that "The MSU actually spent $500k." is true.

Hey everyone,

For those who don't know me my name is Daniel Boccaccio. I am on the SRA for Social Science and also the Finance Commissioner. I don't post here much but I do enjoy readings everyone’s comments and I will comment on a couple of things.

The first is being the $50,000 spent on new speakers. Most if not all of our services deal with electronic equipment that becomes outdated or needs repair or replacing at sometime, not just quarters/1280. If you have read the minutes to the prior meetings this year you will notice that the SRA has updated some equipment for some of our services. A $16,000 expenditure for a new radio console for CFMU, $8000 for radios for EFRT to name a couple. Therefore you cannot take the $50,000 spent on speakers months before and count it towards the cost to 1280 as this expenditure was just general maintenance.

And MDCL my friend, that is some of the most flawed logic I have ever heard. If you have read the minutes from MSU Inc. - SRA 09D you will see that the MSU only expended $375,000 and once the minutes come out for the most recent meeting you will see that we have not paid that full amount due to some unfinished work.

The SRA can take positive constructive criticism if it is warranted and factual but false allegations with no evidence are inappropriate and uncalled for.

As for the general service, it has only been 2-3 weeks since the servers have been trained and I’m sure once they work the kinks out the quality of the service and your time at 1280 will improve.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me or any of your SRA members or BOD

Thanks

Last edited by Boccaccio : 09-22-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Taunton says thanks to Boccaccio for this post.
Old 09-23-2009 at 11:26 AM   #35
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
I had mentioned it because the point in buying the system was pretty much the same as the point made to renovating the whole place. In a nutshell, it was to try and help business/improve the student experience. Even though it was bought a few months before the reno started, I don't think it's long enough to justify it being forgotten. No matter what sponsorships were given, it still increases the bottom line.

First off, the speakers cost somewhere just under $40,000. Also the speakers were for campus events to cut down on the costs they have due to having to rent thos speakers so often. They also were so that campus events could run smaller shows such as student bands, which they are doing in the upcoming weeks! Wow great idea, cut costs AND offer opportunities for students!
Old 09-23-2009 at 01:44 PM   #36
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
First off, the speakers cost somewhere just under $40,000. Also the speakers were for campus events to cut down on the costs they have due to having to rent thos speakers so often. They also were so that campus events could run smaller shows such as student bands, which they are doing in the upcoming weeks! Wow great idea, cut costs AND offer opportunities for students!

Were those the speakers that fell and broke on the dance floor? I can't get over that!!!
Old 09-23-2009 at 02:04 PM   #37
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Speakers are fine, box was the thing that broke.
Old 09-23-2009 at 02:22 PM   #38
maya_kanani

Liked: 1 Time

I've been to 1280 at least seven or eight times since frosh week...the food is MUCH better then it was at Quarters, and I've even noticed service improve significantly since it opened...it's not a bad option at all for those who are hungry and are on campus

Old 09-23-2009 at 02:29 PM   #39
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Speakers are fine, box was the thing that broke.
Are you sure? I saw it in a few pieces, speakers coming out....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9030264.JPG (55.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-23-2009 at 02:32 PM   #40
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

I have been there a lot, and everytime the food has been great.
The first two times (which were during Welcome Week) the service was a bit slow, but each time since I have been in and out in an hour and a half.

Also, for all the people critiquing the SRA, feel free to put your words into actions and run in the October byelections, there are seven seats up, so run for them and try to change what you think is wrong.
Old 09-23-2009 at 02:42 PM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Are you sure? I saw it in a few pieces, speakers coming out....
Yes, everything has been repaired and they have been bound together with steel brackets to prevent it from ever happening again.
Old 09-23-2009 at 04:42 PM   #42
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The server didn't show up for her shift today, and the poor bartender had to serve the whole place..
Luckily, another server came in with her friends and noticed that the bartender needed help, so she put on a uniform and started working. That was nice.
Old 09-23-2009 at 05:25 PM   #43
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

lol i guess we know that there is a staff opening now?
Old 09-24-2009 at 01:14 AM   #44
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
Also, for all the people critiquing the SRA, feel free to put your words into actions and run in the October byelections, there are seven seats up, so run for them and try to change what you think is wrong.
Ahh In all due respect I find something very very philosophically wrong with this statement from a utilitarian point of view! (Which I hope a Hummer will Understand!)

I feel that not everyone has the time, capabilities, public support/group of acquaintances and friends to vote, the ability to articulate their apparent issues with the SRA or MSU or ability to get shifts off every alternate Sunday. Plus an SRA member cannot change the way the 1280 is being run; What's the most he can do? Vote on a motion? Bring forward a motion? Or Maybe Get Elected to Services(I dunno if there is still a seat open on that committee or not) and come up with a research project about 1280?

Aren't the SRA elected to "represent" these people? If everyone starts running for the SRA who would be left over as an everyday student who is into his studies/research/athletic/extracurricular life but still neverthless takes time out and is concerned enough to pay attention to what's going on with his student fees!

ALOT of SRA members got elected based on the now cliche student engagement platform points; Doesn't that include people off all shapes and sizes and apparent attitude issues?

I undertstand some of the statements people here make are not entirely based on facts and are rather myopic but isnt it our "duty" to answer them no matter how different they are from our point of view?

It was actually a Maths T.A here(Mowicz I think) who mentioned the fact that not everyone has the ability to lead or articulate stuff that the MSU does(In response to my frustrations at lack of input for one of my open sourced projects).

Aren't these critics better then the MASSIVE apathetic crowd who never votes nor cares about anything we do or say?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also There have been a couple of decent ideas brought forward here by a few people(eg: Rohan). Is the 1280 management thinking of any customer surveys or mystery shopper programs? They do work pretty well for traditional sales places like Gas Stations(Greeting, Service Time, Upsell, Additional Remarks and so on) Any Updates?

Maybe we could even include a list of food items or drinks that 1280 doesn't have and succesful places in Hess have(Something about more Tap thingies) and poll customers to figure out what they want? :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-24-2009 at 08:57 AM   #45
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I'd be interested in running for Fadil's seat in the SRA, but there's so little availible information on how you'd go about getting nominated or running for the election. You shouldn't have to personally know a member of the SRA for this information not to be a mystery.

I'll probably get in contact with Fadil later and figure out exactly what needs to be done, but it is a shame that I couldn't find much relevant info in MSU website news page, the SRA page, the minutes, or the SRA blog. The website still isn't fully updated with vacancies yet either.