MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Econ 1BB3 and Econ 1B03 in the same semester a good idea? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2009 01:04 PM
Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3 lampk Academics 24 06-24-2009 09:26 AM
Econ 1B03 or 1BB3 mmal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-27-2008 12:09 PM

Econ 1B03

Old 06-16-2008 at 05:25 PM   #91
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Econ 1B03
Econ 1B03 is all about Microeconomics, unlike Econ 1BB3 which is about the opposite, Macroeconomics. Check out my review for that here.

In essence, you'll be learning about how the economy affects individual businesses...

Last edited by samantha__ : 06-16-2008 at 05:49 PM.

all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.

like this.
Old 07-20-2011 at 08:18 PM   #90
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily_z View Post
She also asked about the name of certain football players on her favourite team...can't remember what that team is though
The Green Bay Packers
Old 07-30-2011 at 11:37 AM   #91
polinapel

Liked: 0 Times
Do they still use that Aplia thing? So is buying the textbook still not necessary?
Old 07-30-2011 at 12:31 PM   #92
alexboho

Liked: 1 Time
Holmes is a great professor
Old 07-30-2011 at 01:34 PM   #93
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinapel View Post
Do they still use that Aplia thing? So is buying the textbook still not necessary?
1B03 doesn't use APLIA. Buying the textbook is not necessary for this class unless you need supplemental help.
Old 07-31-2011 at 01:05 PM   #94
fatcat

Liked: 34 Times
The reason a lot of people found this course easy is because there was a lot of cheating going on first semester (the midterms were not changed from the previous year as ridiculous as it may sound). They decided that they were going to change the midterms teh second semester, so you will still have to put in some work into it. the content is not difficult, but it is extremely boring. I would recommend getting the book if you don't plan on going to lectures.

Cheers.
Old 08-01-2011 at 08:34 PM   #95
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times
Can someone explain the whole APLIA situation? I heard they took it out and now the course is harder or something?
Old 08-02-2011 at 12:11 AM   #96
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cheng View Post
Can someone explain the whole APLIA situation? I heard they took it out and now the course is harder or something?
1B03 never had APLIA. They took it out of 1BB3 because there were complaints that you had to buy material in order to be tested. All the marks for APLIA were moved to the midterms and exams, so it's 25, 25, and 50 for midterms and exams.

N.Cheng says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-02-2011 at 11:23 AM   #97
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times
Ooh okay my friend must've been mistaken then because she told me APLIA used to be for 1B03 okay thanks of the explanation
Old 08-04-2011 at 02:05 AM   #98
bs92

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
The content is not difficult, but it is extremely boring. I would recommend getting the book if you don't plan on going to lectures.

Cheers.
I wouldn't say the content is "extremely boring". In the context of this course it may appear to be for some, especially given the nature of her examples, but I found microeconomics very, very interesting in high school. My teacher gave great examples; many quite applicable (and some quite hilarious). On the other hand Holmes won't be as exciting but if you use a little imagination.........

And like jhan523 and others have said, the textbook is really not necessary. Everything you'll be tested on comes straight out of her notes. That being said, whether you attend class or not is your prerogative and depends on your learning style. She doesn't do much other than read her slides though.
Old 08-04-2011 at 10:10 AM   #99
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cheng View Post
Ooh okay my friend must've been mistaken then because she told me APLIA used to be for 1B03 okay thanks of the explanation
Aplia was there for a single term. Winter 2009. Don't know if it was utilized for the Fall 2008 term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
The reason a lot of people found this course easy is because there was a lot of cheating going on first semester (the midterms were not changed from the previous year as ridiculous as it may sound). They decided that they were going to change the midterms teh second semester, so you will still have to put in some work into it. the content is not difficult, but it is extremely boring. I would recommend getting the book if you don't plan on going to lectures.

Cheers.
It's also just a pathetically easy course. The area of a triangle isn't exactly a radical new concept.

Old 08-04-2011 at 11:11 AM   #100
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs92 View Post
And like jhan523 and others have said, the textbook is really not necessary. Everything you'll be tested on comes straight out of her notes. That being said, whether you attend class or not is your prerogative and depends on your learning style. She doesn't do much other than read her slides though.
She's taught this course so many times that she's memorized all her slides. Sometimes she says word for word what's on the next slide before switching to it... Lol
Old 08-05-2011 at 06:21 PM   #101
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
She's taught this course so many times that she's memorized all her slides. Sometimes she says word for word what's on the next slide before switching to it... Lol
Lmfao, I can't wait to see that happen. I bought the textbook+study guide anyway for supplementary material/knowledge. It couldn't hurt, could it?
Old 08-10-2011 at 09:28 PM   #102
catherineA

The majority of the midterms and exams are based off of her slides. She does tend to go through things fast on her slides so the textbook may help explain things a little bit better. But I would suggest for studying purposes, really focus on her slides.
Old 09-11-2011 at 09:25 AM   #103
Sanjeet-10

This class is relatively easy. There are weekly aplia assignments that were quite easy as well. Make sure you stay on top of your readings.
Old 09-11-2011 at 02:13 PM   #104
Mita

Yea Holmes literally told us she wouldn't test us on textbook material that wasn't found in the notes, so I used it more as an aid to help me understand things that weren't clear to me in the notes. You really start to miss her style of posting notes when you run into profs that refuse to do so >.<

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search