MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Econ 1BB3 and Econ 1B03 in the same semester a good idea? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2009 01:04 PM
Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3 lampk Academics 24 06-24-2009 09:26 AM
Econ 1B03 or 1BB3 mmal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-27-2008 12:09 PM

Econ 1B03

Old 06-16-2008 at 05:25 PM   #121
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Econ 1B03
Econ 1B03 is all about Microeconomics, unlike Econ 1BB3 which is about the opposite, Macroeconomics. Check out my review for that here.

In essence, you'll be learning about how the economy affects individual businesses...

Last edited by samantha__ : 06-16-2008 at 05:49 PM.

all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.

like this.
Old 08-12-2012 at 04:34 PM   #120
eggnog

Liked: 0 Times
To sum up:
Pro: easy m/c midterms

Con:
-very very dry material and you have to simply "accept" certain concepts without fully understanding them
- each lecture is like 100 slides and so its brutal trying to study for midterms or exams
- the exam was a train wreck.....it had questions of things we didn't learn, questions had typos that had to be corrected by the invigilator a few times, and I'm pretty sure one of the questions didn't have an answer from the selected options
- you can't talk in that class or you get kicked out

My opinion.....DONT TAKE THIS COURSE AS A BIRD COURSE (only take it if you're interested in econ)
Old 08-18-2012 at 09:41 AM   #121
macwhija

I wouldn't say this course is a bird course either. A bird course in the sense that you can still get a good mark if you don't go to class and don't do any work. I am not that great with math and graphs and everything but as long as you do the practice problems and the aplia tests and don't opt out of them then you should still get a pretty decent mark. You get what you put in. Go to class and make a small amount of effort and you will end up with at least a 10, at least that's what I found.
Old 08-27-2012 at 11:23 AM   #122
Liviaaaa

there are 2 midterms, the second one is harder than the first, final exam is fair I think.
Old 09-04-2012 at 05:08 PM   #123
nickpLNC

The prof for the evening class gave the option of 100% exam... Lol.
Old 09-06-2012 at 12:48 PM   #124
derp

Anyone know what the prof for the evening class this term is like? The prof's name is Hannan.
Old 12-05-2012 at 10:25 PM   #125
dengx6

very easy................. ..........
Old 12-06-2012 at 07:36 PM   #126
alui89

Hi,
so i switched into micro econ with holmes 2nd term but my schedule conflicts with my math 1LT3 class which has only 1 slot, same with econ. I heard that it doesn't really matter since classes are posted online but im not really sure :s any comments?
Old 12-14-2012 at 11:22 AM   #127
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times
Econ 1B03
ECON 1B03: INTRODUCTION TO MICROECONOMICS

Course Outline

More Outlines for Economics Courses

I found some parts of this course extremely interesting, and other parts very dry. Professor Holmes was awesome, though.

There were three 50-minute lectures a week, and no tutorials.

ASSIGNMENTS

Midterm 1 (30%)

Midterm 1 was on the first five chapters covered in the course. To put it simply, it was extremely easy. There was a bonus question on Professor Holmes' favourite sport (football) and another bonus mark for filling out your Scantron correctly. Aside from that, the questions themselves were quite simple. If you study for this, you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

TIP: Look at the old tests she supplies on Avenue, and do them as studying.

Midterm 2 (30%)

Midterm 2 was harder than Midterm 1. This was mostly because I didn't study the right material (whoops) but even so, the questions were more challenging this time around. It was also out of thirty, and there was a bizarre bonus question this time around (pick A- when you see it, you'll know why).

TIP: Learn how the graphs work. They are handy for figuring out questions. (In retrospect, I wish I'd had a better grasp on them.)

Final Exam (40%)

The exam was certainly harder than both midterms. It was out of 40 (the bonus question this time was who Robin and Wills are [answer: Professor Holmes' Cats]) and focused mainly on material from after the second midterm. I studied a fair amount for this exam, and there were still some questions which threw me for a loop. Make sure you know all the formulas inside and out and, perhaps even more importantly, have a firm grasp on various theoretical concepts.

TIP: Read each question VERY carefully. Some are easy to mix up/confuse.

PROFESSOR

Professor Holmes was awesome. While at times she could have presented the material in a more interesting manner, she was extremely intelligent, helpful, and friendly. Any question you had during lecture or after class she would answer, and she was very generous with bonus marks. The iClicker questions included in her lectures were great too. Overall, Holmes did an excellent job; one of my favourite professors from the term!

OVERALL

I found some parts of the course interesting (the beginning and end, mostly) but the middle was very dry and quite dull. However, if you are interested in economics I would recommend this course. It's necessary for commerce students anyway, but it's a good class to take as an elective if you're in another faculty. Plus Professor Holmes is awesome.

Demovibutler says thanks to Frankenseuss for this post.

keiser=) likes this.
Old 12-14-2012 at 06:00 PM   #128
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alui89 View Post
Hi,
so i switched into micro econ with holmes 2nd term but my schedule conflicts with my math 1LT3 class which has only 1 slot, same with econ. I heard that it doesn't really matter since classes are posted online but im not really sure :s any comments?
All lectures are uploaded to Avenue in the form so no point of going to class, I stopped going after the first midterm.
Old 12-15-2012 at 03:16 PM   #130
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
*in the form of podcasts...
Which didn't work for me, lmao

Swampis likes this.
Old 12-17-2012 at 09:53 PM   #131
naval23

Liked: 33 Times
I loved this course! Holmes is an AMAZING professor, I know some people say that she just reads off the slides, I disagree, but even so, everything she says just sticks in your head and you do most of your learning in lecture. The first part of the course is a breeze, I studied the day before the first midterm, and pulled off a great mark. The second part of the course is a bit harder, but still easy if you read your notes and keep up with the material. It's the last part of the course where the material is more difficult but nonetheless, if you keep up with your notes, it will be very easy. There's just an exam and two midterms. I didn't take Grade 12 Econ, and it was fine. But, you do need to study for this course, especially if you don't like math and analyzing graphs because there's a lot of understanding in this course (not a lot of memorization). Dr. Holmes is great because every mark on the midterm is equal to one final mark. Midterms are out of 30 and worth 30%, Exam was out of 40 and worth 40%. And on every midterm and exam, she gives you a bonus mark, just for filling out your student number correctly! (That's an extra 3% on your final mark!). Also, she always has a bonus question which are very straightforward and usually stuff she casually mentions in lectures like her cats or the Packers. In addition, she posts biweekly Econ quizzes, which I highly recommend. There is no penalty to doing them, and every quiz is worth an extra 1%, so even if you get a 50 on all five, that's an extra 2.5% on your final mark.

So, it's possible to get a 111% in this course!

nadinee likes this.
Old 12-22-2012 at 06:59 PM   #132
mbasuita

The midterms for this course are very easy, especially if you took economics in high school. The final is kind of tough, but you can still get a 12 really easily, just do well on the midterms.
-manpreet basuita
Old 01-08-2013 at 12:57 PM   #134
AnanC206
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times
Would you recommend buying the textbook?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search