Mugsi Down healthsci1 Academics 9 05-16-2010 02:54 PM
MUGSI still available? Duarch Academics 9 01-02-2009 02:18 AM

[email protected]!* You Mugsi

Old 06-14-2010 at 04:07 PM   #211
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Yes, there is a seat capacity due to the actual lecture hall that the section is located in. However, if there is enough demand more sections may be opened. The university needs to provide you access to your required courses that you need to complete your degree, they can't take your money promising you'll get x degree and then not provide the courses to fulfill that degree.
Old 06-15-2010 at 09:42 PM   #212
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Yes, there is a seat capacity due to the actual lecture hall that the section is located in. However, if there is enough demand more sections may be opened. The university needs to provide you access to your required courses that you need to complete your degree, they can't take your money promising you'll get x degree and then not provide the courses to fulfill that degree.
It is acutally sad but stats 2B03 is a degree requierment for alot of peoples program and alot of us were denied acess to the class in second year and told to "just take it in third year" which is such a hassel now, and apparenty the undegrad office JUST found out that they were denying us the course from the Deans Office and have now created more sections. Little too late..... UGG they need to hire more profs.
Old 06-15-2010 at 09:51 PM   #213
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
It is acutally sad but stats 2B03 is a degree requierment for alot of peoples program and alot of us were denied acess to the class in second year and told to "just take it in third year" which is such a hassel now, and apparenty the undegrad office JUST found out that they were denying us the course from the Deans Office and have now created more sections. Little too late..... UGG they need to hire more profs.
Stats 2B03 is a Level III course, it is labeled as a Level II course because the content difficult is that for Level II. But McMaster fully intends it to be a course taken in Level III, not II.
Old 06-15-2010 at 09:52 PM   #214
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Too bad they laid off profs last year. Good job, Mac.

resh.jyoti likes this.
Old 06-15-2010 at 10:37 PM   #215
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Mac is becoming more and more of an epic failure.

ELM = Fail.
MUGSi = Fail.
SOLAR = Fail.
1280 = Fail.
Textbooks = Fail.
Professors = Fail.

I know I'm missing a lot more....
Old 06-15-2010 at 10:44 PM   #216
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

^ Yeah, ELM is a real fail. Except for the fact that we're not using it this year.

1280 - aren't they getting new management for this year?

Textbooks = fail? Right, because Stewart's calculus is a horrible book and is only used at McMaster. Oh wait - it's used in tons of places and it's excellent, as are most of the textbooks. But I'd love to hear why suddenly 'all textbooks' are so bad.

Professors = fail? Is this, more or less than at any other school? Or do you really think every other University has amazing professors and Mac has horrible ones?
Protip: the professors you encountered in first year were deliberately chosen for their teaching ability, and not necessarily their research statistics (e.g., Hatala, who doesn't even have a phd). What more could you possibly want?

The only thing that's a definite fail at Mac is MUGSI/SOLAR. Everything else you listed is complete BS that could be rectified easily, or the complaints are so general and vague that they can't be applied to Mac alone.
Old 06-15-2010 at 10:46 PM   #217
Abid.Hasan

Liked: 86 Times

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever found out what the maximum allowable number of students on MUGSI is?

Is it like 500? 200? 100?

Because sometimes it feels like there are 1000 people who need to pick courses and they only let 10 people on mugsi at a time to do so.
Old 06-15-2010 at 10:54 PM   #218
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

tried to log into mugsi a quarter to 12 and it's already full
wtf
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:01 PM   #219
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

This is rediculous dammit it's been 24 hours and I STILL Can't get on Mugsi even. Tried getting on b4 work and now after work but hey, guess it's still full :rage:
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:11 PM   #220
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
This is rediculous dammit it's been 24 hours and I STILL Can't get on Mugsi even. Tried getting on b4 work and now after work but hey, guess it's still full :rage:
that's because you have a bunch of second year business and humanities students trying to log on right now to register for their courses
couldn't even get into mugsi 15 min early =A=
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:13 PM   #221
Abid.Hasan

Liked: 86 Times

I've been trying since 11:33

Given a 45 minute timer, logic dictates that if I try continually until 12:18, I should be able to get a slot on mugsi as people are being bumped off. But MUGSI operates outside the realm of mere logic.
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:13 PM   #222
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

What you do, is to keep your cursor on the MUGSI link, and just close the 'max students on' window with ALT+F4. It's faster and you're more likely to get on. I've gotten on at least 4 times today doing that.

However, it's really slow right now because everyone's on.
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:31 PM   #223
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Got my 5 comm classes, picked 4 disgusting ****ing useless electives (out of a list 50-60 classes I wrote down), and somehow my tuition is already higher than last year's.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 06-15-2010 at 11:38 PM   #224
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
^ Yeah, ELM is a real fail. Except for the fact that we're not using it this year.

1280 - aren't they getting new management for this year?

Textbooks = fail? Right, because Stewart's calculus is a horrible book and is only used at McMaster. Oh wait - it's used in tons of places and it's excellent, as are most of the textbooks. But I'd love to hear why suddenly 'all textbooks' are so bad.

Professors = fail? Is this, more or less than at any other school? Or do you really think every other University has amazing professors and Mac has horrible ones?
Protip: the professors you encountered in first year were deliberately chosen for their teaching ability, and not necessarily their research statistics (e.g., Hatala, who doesn't even have a phd). What more could you possibly want?

The only thing that's a definite fail at Mac is MUGSI/SOLAR. Everything else you listed is complete BS that could be rectified easily, or the complaints are so general and vague that they can't be applied to Mac alone.
1280 - New Management or not... the food their sucks. Waiting 3-4 hours in a line to party is a complete waste of time.

Textbook - Because of the outrageous prices and the stupid policy at buyback. 25-50% for a sealed book never opened good as new?!?!?! still in use btw.

Professors - In OUR first year BIO we had to deal with Dr. Jacobs, Dr. Wilson and Dr. Papa. You had it very easy my friend. Hatala is the perfect professor he is awesome. He made learning fun. I wish most teachers were like that and they are out there. Just some Professors hate teaching and just don't give a damn.
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:41 PM   #225
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
1280 - New Management or not... the food their sucks. Waiting 3-4 hours in a line to party is a complete waste of time.

Textbook - Because of the outrageous prices and the stupid policy at buyback. 25-50% for a sealed book never opened good as new?!?!?! still in use btw.

Professors - In OUR first year BIO we had to deal with Dr. Jacobs, Dr. Wilson and Dr. Papa. You had it very easy my friend. Hatala is the perfect professor he is awesome. He made learning fun. I wish most teachers were like that and they are out there. Just some Professors hate teaching and just don't give a damn.
Dr. Jacobs is an excellent teacher. He actually teaches in many different styles in one lecture which allows for a maximum of students to be able to pick up on the material since not everyone learns the same way.