MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
failed courses and your CA jarjar Academics 7 06-12-2010 09:14 PM
Failed Courses gabriela.05 Academics 4 06-02-2010 07:53 PM
regarding failed courses... BinMonitored First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 12-11-2009 01:25 AM
commerce failed courses Alexx8 Academics 11 01-01-2009 09:27 AM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

failed many courses

Old 12-29-2012 at 03:02 AM   #1
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 30 Times

failed many courses
what do i do if i failed all the classes?

Entropy, henry4399 like this.
Old 12-29-2012 at 03:15 AM   #2
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Start studying?

Old 12-29-2012 at 04:51 AM   #3
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.C View Post
This sounds suspiciously like a troll post, but I will bite anyway.

Assuming you are in first year (as your profile states), you are okay for now (tenuously). Averages are only reviewed every 18 units. You have no more than 15 (15 if you took a full course load). That means your average will be reviewed at the end of April. If your average is 3.0 or greater you remain in university, although you need a 6.0 average for Honours. If it falls below that, you will be placed on a three-year non-Honours track. If your average is below 3.0 at the end of April, you will lose your spot in the University, but you may apply for reinstatement. Your re-acceptance will depend on (significantly) improved performance in Winter 2013 and if you have any extenuating circumstances.

It is imperative that you meet with an academic advisor ASAP. Call the Associate Dean of Science Office on January 2 to set up an appointment. Discuss the situation with them. Keep in mind, there is no financial compensation for failed courses/academic discharge from the university. You receive no credit (other than a 0 on your average) for failed courses and will have to repeat them to continue in Science (at full charge).

Assuming you are taking a full load, you need 60 total points for Honours (60 points/10 courses = 6.0 points per course) and 30 to stay in. You have five courses left. You have your grade report and can do the math yourself. You may not even be eligible for some of your scheduled courses, as they have pre-requisites from the Fall (e.g. you need credit in CHEM 1A03 to take CHEM 1AA3). If you determine that it will be very difficult to meet the 3.0 requirement, or if you will just scrape through, it may be best to drop out. This is unfortunate, but it would at least allow you to save half of your money. Depending on circumstances, you may be able to make an arrangement to retain the credit (and respective grades) in the courses you have passed, although if your performances were poor, you would probably want to re-take them regardless, since they are foundational.

I hope this helps.

All the best.

Old 12-29-2012 at 10:12 AM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

If you failed all your courses in first term i wouldn't recommend going on to 2nd term. You should talk to your academic advisor, s/he will be able to help you out somehow. As soon as we go back to school in January, book an appointment with your advisor.

Old 12-29-2012 at 11:34 AM   #5
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
If you failed all your courses in first term i wouldn't recommend going on to 2nd term. You should talk to your academic advisor, s/he will be able to help you out somehow. As soon as we go back to school in January, book an appointment with your advisor.
yea, there is probably a reason u failed all the courses. Until u find out why, dont waste your money if your not going to get anything out of it.

*spark*, Alomar12, jim1 like this.
Old 12-29-2012 at 01:49 PM   #6
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

I was in the same boat last year due to a serious medical illness. I tried to fix it myself and got kicked out. Luckily I was reinstated right away because my reasons were serious. Go talk to an advisor ASAP!!! I can't stress this enough, they legit will help you make a plan and move forward. Seriously take care of this now, before you are too deep in the hole.

Don't do anything before talking to an advisor, don't waste your money.

Last edited by lifesciman1 : 12-29-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2012 at 03:37 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

What do you mean by petitioned?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 12-29-2012 at 03:44 PM   #8
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
What do you mean by petitioned?
you can "drop" courses after the deadline under extenuating circumstances
Old 12-29-2012 at 05:03 PM  
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this had to be done.

Old 12-29-2012 at 05:08 PM   #9
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

Goodbye Medical School and Law School.
Old 12-29-2012 at 05:46 PM   #10
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
Goodbye Medical School and Law School.
Lol not necessarily.
Old 12-29-2012 at 07:37 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Judging by your real name, I think a phone call to your stereotypical academically obsessed parents is in order.

*insert asian dad meme*

Zebedee likes this.
Old 12-29-2012 at 08:32 PM   #12
Jesse.C
Account Locked

i only took three courses this semester
Old 12-29-2012 at 08:33 PM   #13
Jesse.C
Account Locked

can i transfer to another school?
Old 12-29-2012 at 08:42 PM   #14
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
can i transfer to another school?
Most people who fail first year think about transferring to another university, and mostly think about Ryerson. The truth is, even Ryerson doesn't accept people who failed first year. Some suggestions about failing first year:

1. If you failed first term, you can take term 2 off and think about everything...things that got in the way of you getting good grades and try to formulate a solution.
2. If you failed first year, you can apply for reinstatement. I am not sure how reinstatement work in science, but if you get reinstated in engineering you either repeat first year or transfer/reinstate into b.tech.

Mz.Morra13 likes this.