MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering for courses on SOLAR Psyclone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Question on Picking Electives First on SOLAR Lily88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2012 05:19 PM
Picking Major on Solar MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

Getting Ready For McMaster: 4. Picking Your Courses & Registering On SOLAR

Old 07-04-2008 at 08:32 AM   #181
saundeb2

Liked: 0 Times

ApplicationStatusDates Available
GRADUATE REGISTRATION/COURSE SELECTION for the SEP 2008 SESSIONUNAVAILABLE JUL 10 2008 through JUN 12 2009
UNDERGRAD REGISTRATION/COURSE SELECTION for the SEP 2008 SESSIONUNAVAILABLE JUL 04 2008
Except
JUL 30 2008 through AUG 10 2008
UNDERGRAD REGISTRATION/COURSE SELECTION for the MAY 2008 SESSIONUNAVAILABLE MAR 24 2008 through JUL 23 2008

This is coming up when i go onto solar what does it mean it is full right now or what?
Old 07-04-2008 at 08:50 AM   #182
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundeb2 View Post
ApplicationStatusDates Available
GRADUATE REGISTRATION/COURSE SELECTION for the SEP 2008 SESSIONUNAVAILABLE JUL 10 2008 through JUN 12 2009
UNDERGRAD REGISTRATION/COURSE SELECTION for the SEP 2008 SESSIONUNAVAILABLE JUL 04 2008
Except
JUL 30 2008 through AUG 10 2008
UNDERGRAD REGISTRATION/COURSE SELECTION for the MAY 2008 SESSIONUNAVAILABLE MAR 24 2008 through JUL 23 2008

This is coming up when i go onto solar what does it mean it is full right now or what?
Solar is unavailable from 8:30am till 11:30am, so if you're trying to get on right now that may be the problem. Otherwise it should work for you from July 4 onward.

Last edited by dragonfly : 07-04-2008 at 09:12 AM.

saundeb2 says thanks to dragonfly for this post.
Old 07-05-2008
dimoxyel
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-10-2008 at 12:51 PM   #183
NJ77

Hi... just a question about the core classes. It says that we've mostly got one core class, but even if I choose C01 or whatever I've got 3 days listed below that for some of my courses. I do still go to all 3 of them right?
Thanks!

In response to.....
Q: WHAT IF THERE ARE MULTIPLE CORE OR TUTORIALS? DO I GO TO ALL OF THEM?
A: NO! 99% of the time you will only have ONE core lecture and ONE tutorial and/or lab. When you get to the SOLAR step you will be able to PICK which section you want to be placed in. If you organize your schedule well in advance you can plan it out so your classes are spread out and balanced well, and if you're lucky... sometimes can plan it out so you get a day with no classes or tutorials!
Old 07-10-2008 at 02:06 PM   #184
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Please provide more info... what course are we talking about and what does it say in the Master Course Timetable? Please screenshot it or copy/paste.
Old 07-10-2008 at 03:40 PM   #185
NJ77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Please provide more info... what course are we talking about and what does it say in the Master Course Timetable? Please screenshot it or copy/paste.
It actually isn't a specific course. Almost all of my Soc Sci courses have more than one day listed after the C01. For example, the chart below has a few days listed after the C01... so Im assuming I attend all of the days?

Old 07-10-2008 at 04:08 PM   #186
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

so ya, if it looks like C01 in the screenshot then you attend all of those days
Old 07-15-2008 at 09:21 PM   #187
yummy_xoxo

oh my goodness i need SOO much help!

ok :

1. When i pick a course and it doesn't specify a drop down box for core or tutorial or anything.. does that mean that it will be decided for me later?

2. When a course is listed as FULL. does it REALLY mean full?. what if i need the course in a specific term to be a requisite for another course that is required for me?

for example, physics 1L03 is full, and i NEED that course to fill my program requirements,, since i didn't take grade 12 physics so i cant take the other physics 1b03.

also, when i select bio 1a03(available) and check to verify, it says that i do not have the requisites for the course... but i do... the only requisite is grade 12 bio u.

IM SO SCREWED T____________________ _T;

Last edited by yummy_xoxo : 07-15-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2008 at 09:39 PM   #188
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

yummy, where do you see that you need 1A03 to take 1M03? Looking at the course calendar for 2008-2009, the only prerequisite (in terms of courses) for both is Grade 12 Biology, or Bio 1P03. Your confusion may be stemming from the fact that 1A03 used to be offered during first term, with 1AA3 (which has now been replaced with 1M03, though it looks very similar...) offered in second term; but the courses seem to have been switched for 2008-2009.

yummy_xoxo says thanks to Sarah13 for this post.
Old 07-15-2008 at 09:52 PM   #189
Mel.L

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_xoxo View Post
oh my goodness i need SOO much help!

ok :

1. When i pick a course and it doesn't specify a drop down box for core or tutorial or anything.. does that mean that it will be decided for me later?

2. When a course is listed as FULL. does it REALLY mean full?. what if i need the course in a specific term to be a requisite for another course that is required for me?

for example, physics 1L03 is full, and i NEED that course to fill my program requirements,, since i didn't take grade 12 physics so i cant take the other physics 1b03.

also, when i select bio 1a03(available) and check to verify, it says that i do not have the requisites for the course... but i do... the only requisite is grade 12 bio u.

IM SO SCREWED T____________________ _T;
1. Yes, the schedules will be automatically made and will be available August 7th. You can make changes later on (August 11th i believe) to your schedule if you are not happy.

2. It does mean its full, if you absolutely need the course i would suggest emailing or calling the dean of science
  • Faculty of Science>>
Go to Office of Associate Dean in GS-116, call (905) 525-9140 ext. 27590, or email [email protected]
They are very prompt with their replies + may be able to help you

3. For Bio the prerequisite it that you take Science 1A00. Just apply for that course, its a quick tutorial on WHMIS procedures i believe + is free but mandatory to apply for the science (laboratory) courses

Hope that helps

yummy_xoxo says thanks to Mel.L for this post.
Old 07-15-2008 at 09:59 PM   #190
yummy_xoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah13 View Post
yummy, where do you see that you need 1A03 to take 1M03? Looking at the course calendar for 2008-2009, the only prerequisite (in terms of courses) for both is Grade 12 Biology, or Bio 1P03. Your confusion may be stemming from the fact that 1A03 used to be offered during first term, with 1AA3 (which has now been replaced with 1M03, though it looks very similar...) offered in second term; but the courses seem to have been switched for 2008-2009.

yes that's my mistake. but i took bio 12 u and it said that i couldn't take the bio 1a03.

also. i think i may have done the worst thing possible., PLEASE tell me i can fix this... out of the 10 courses that i need.. i chose 7..

im missing 3:
the physics that i needed (1l03) was full, )since i can't take the 1b03 because i didn't take it in grade 12)
also, the bio 1a03 that said i didin't have the requisite :S
and also the chem 1a03, same problem as the bio :S

.. and the WORST TING POSSIBLE.. i activated my solar mugsi thing and i remembered that i needed to finish course selections within 7 days (tmrw) so i panicked because the electives and everything i wanted were all taken too... so... with only 7 courses... i confirmed ... T_____________T;

PLEASE HELP ME T____________________ _______________T;

Last edited by yummy_xoxo : 07-15-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2008 at 10:08 PM   #191
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

DON'T PANIC!

Your requisite that you need for Bio and Chem is most likely Science 1A00. Since those courses have lab components, you need to take a one-hour WHMIS course in order to be in the labs. Don't worry though...it's free, you just register for it and confirm it on SOLAR before you add Chem and Bio, and you should be good to go The faculty will post a list of times that you can show up and take the course, once classes have started in September.

and as for your second concern...
Once you've confirmed your courses, it's not like it's a done deal, and you're stuck with those courses. It just means you're guaranteed a spot in the ones you confirmed for (so long as you complete your payment agreement on time). So once your electives open up, or you get departmental permission for the physics (call the faculty office tomorrow, like Mel. said), you can log back in to SOLAR and make any changes you need.

yummy_xoxo says thanks to Sarah13 for this post.
Old 07-15-2008 at 10:12 PM   #192
yummy_xoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel.L View Post
1. Yes, the schedules will be automatically made and will be available August 7th. You can make changes later on (August 11th i believe) to your schedule if you are not happy.

2. It does mean its full, if you absolutely need the course i would suggest emailing or calling the dean of science
  • Faculty of Science
Go to Office of Associate Dean in GS-116, call (905) 525-9140 ext. 27590, or email [email protected]
They are very prompt with their replies + may be able to help you

3. For Bio the prerequisite it that you take Science 1A00. Just apply for that course, its a quick tutorial on WHMIS procedures i believe + is free but mandatory to apply for the science (laboratory) courses

Hope that helps

OMG I JUST REALIZED I COULDN"T SELECT BIO 1a03 AND CHEM 1a03 BECAUSE ID DIN"T CHOOSE SCI 1A00!! OMGAHHHHHHHHHH!
i totally forgot. now im stuck with a CONFIRMED course selection, of 7 out of 10 courses.. o.0;
Old 07-15-2008 at 10:14 PM   #193
yummy_xoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah13 View Post
DON'T PANIC!

Your requisite that you need for Bio and Chem is most likely Science 1A00. Since those courses have lab components, you need to take a one-hour WHMIS course in order to be in the labs. Don't worry though...it's free, you just register for it and confirm it on SOLAR before you add Chem and Bio, and you should be good to go The faculty will post a list of times that you can show up and take the course, once classes have started in September.

and as for your second concern...
Once you've confirmed your courses, it's not like it's a done deal, and you're stuck with those courses. It just means you're guaranteed a spot in the ones you confirmed for (so long as you complete your payment agreement on time). So once your electives open up, or you get departmental permission for the physics (call the faculty office tomorrow, like Mel. said), you can log back in to SOLAR and make any changes you need.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH SARAH AND MEL!!!!. saved my life. big time. thank you SOOO much <3
Old 07-21-2008 at 08:51 PM   #194
dtrann

I'm going to Medical Radiation Sciences as a first year student. Just around June, the faculty of Sciences emailed all Sciences students to change their math to MATH 1LS3. However I have a problem, because of MATH 1LS3 is completely full in first term I have to take it in second term but that created an unbalanced course load for me (4 courses in term 1 and 6 courses in term 2). I emailed my Dean of Sciences and all she can offer me was to either change my electives or check back on SOLAR; however, I do like my elective (JAPANESE 1Z06) and I don't want to change it.

So is there any chances of me getting the MATH 1LS3 in first term and is there any other suggestions someone can offer me? I don't like the idea of checking back on SOLAR constantly.

Also if I was to come back to McMaster, which building can I go to to talk to an academic counsellor?

Thanks!