MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering for courses on SOLAR Psyclone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Question on Picking Electives First on SOLAR Lily88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2012 05:19 PM
Picking Major on Solar MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

Getting Ready For McMaster: 4. Picking Your Courses & Registering On SOLAR

Old 07-01-2008 at 01:59 PM   #166
James

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks Danielle. Final marks should be in soon. I pick up my report card tomorrow!
Old 07-01-2008 at 04:18 PM   #167
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I've mentioned this a few times on the homepage and in the solar articles on macinsiders:

YOU DO NOT PICK YOUR CORES/TUTORIALS/LABS YET. These will be AUTO ASSIGNED for you in August when your personal timetable is constructed for you by the school. As soon as August rolls around, SOLAR closes for a little while and during that time your timetable gets generated and tutorials/labs are automatically picked for you that are conflict-free. Then on August 7th you're able to see that timetable and see what they picked for you. If you're unhappy with what they picked... you can then go into SOLAR and change it around (to what you perfectly planned out ) ... but until then... no lab or tutorial choices!!

SOME courses have CORE choices, but 99% of them done yet. All you will be picking in SOLAR is the courses you want to take and if you want them in first or section semester, and Day or Evening. Thats it!

Hope that helps!
Hey Chad this is kind of confusing!

So do we still make our own timetable to see if the courses work out?
Because the way I understood it was that we have to/can pick the time and prof that the courses are offered?

But now we only choose the day/evening and sem 1/2?

Old 07-01-2008 at 04:31 PM   #168
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
Because the way I understood it was that we have to/can pick the time and prof that the courses are offered?

You should make your own timetable to make sure that the courses you want to take won't conflict with each other. When the official timetables are released in August, you'll be allowed to change sections/tutorials/labs to fix conflicts (two classes running at the same time) or to just fix your schedule so that you don't have like 6 classes in a row.

Old 07-01-2008 at 04:34 PM   #169
stiph1275

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
Hey Chad this is kind of confusing!

I was also wondering the same thing. I also viewed the Level 1 Engineering Registration Videos here: http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/prospective/accepted.htm and according to the "Course Registration and Payment Agreement" videos, students have to choose their core, tutorial, and lab sessions when they log into SOLAR the first time. It's possible I misunderstood it... or maybe this arrangement is a special one for Engineering students?
I'm a bit confused.
Old 07-01-2008 at 04:38 PM   #170
kenneth526
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiph1275 View Post
I was also wondering the same thing. I also viewed the Level 1 Engineering Registration Videos here: http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/prospective/accepted.htm and according to the "Course Registration and Payment Agreement" videos, students have to choose their core, tutorial, and lab sessions when they log into SOLAR the first time. It's possible I misunderstood it... or maybe this arrangement is a special one for Engineering students?
I'm a bit confused.
It's possible that you may be able to choose core/tutorial/lab times (especially if there's only one of each), but for most courses, you don't choose until August. If you're registering for a large first year engineering class like Math 1N03, chances are you won't be choosing your core/tutorial sections yet.

Old 07-01-2008 at 04:48 PM   #171
MacEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiph1275 View Post
I'm a bit confused.
Maybe its only that one course?

I wish there was more examples!
Old 07-01-2008 at 09:37 PM   #172
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

That Eng 1 video may be old too. If it was made for last year's new students, they were allowed to pick their core, lab and tutorial sections. This year it is only (some) core sections. So stiph1275, you probably DID hear correctly; it would be the video that's wrong.

If not, they made the video assuming it would be the same course selection as last year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-01-2008 at 11:11 PM   #173
MacEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
That Eng 1 video may be old too. If it was made for last year's new students, they were allowed to pick their core, lab and tutorial sections. This year it is only (some) core sections. So stiph1275, you probably DID hear correctly; it would be the video that's wrong.

If not, they made the video assuming it would be the same course selection as last year.
Do you know which cores we have to chose?
Old 07-02-2008 at 04:30 AM   #174
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Anyone else in engineering doing SOLAR right now?

See that 1p03 is only available term 3? I cant do this in summer school!
Old 07-02-2008 at 08:35 AM   #175
kenneth526
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Anyone else in engineering doing SOLAR right now?

See that 1p03 is only available term 3? I cant do this in summer school!
1P03 is a full-year class. One lecture first term; one lecture, one tutorial (two hours) second term; both terms. No summer school

Old 07-02-2008 at 08:37 AM   #176
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Ah, ok. So if it says term 3, it doesn't necessarily mean summer school...it just kind of means "other".
Old 07-02-2008 at 08:58 AM   #177
kenneth526
Elite Member

It means that it's a full year class and runs during both terms.

Old 07-02-2008 at 04:37 PM   #178
Husnia

Liked: 2 Times

So can someone please clear this up?
1. Apparently all electives are full except for Psychology, and some Native courses? How can they be that full that fast? Humanities and Commerce opens tomorrow, so that means that we have to choose our electives to whatever is open?
2. Still a course selection issue. Some people are saying that you DO need to choose cores, tutorials and labs. But some said that they only had to do that with their electives?
Old 07-02-2008 at 05:02 PM   #179
janeller

Liked: 3 Times

It seems odd that the only electives left would be psych and native courses. i'm not too sure about that. but i can ASSURE you that as of now, you should NOT be able to choose tutorials, labs, etc. if you CAN then do it, but the LARGE majority will not ask you to yet. don't worry.
Old 07-02-2008 at 06:18 PM   #180
kenneth526
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeller View Post
...as of now, you should NOT be able to choose tutorials, labs, etc. if you CAN then do it, but the LARGE majority will not ask you to yet. don't worry.
Exactly. If you are able to choose core/lab/tutorial sections, SOLAR will tell you. If you can't you'll still be able to register for your classes.

dimoxyel says thanks to kenneth526 for this post.