MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering for courses on SOLAR Psyclone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Question on Picking Electives First on SOLAR Lily88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2012 05:19 PM
Picking Major on Solar MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

Getting Ready For McMaster: 4. Picking Your Courses & Registering On SOLAR

Old 07-21-2008 at 09:14 PM   #196
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Glad you were able to get help Yummy! No need to freak out, we're here to help If you end up having any further problems with courses, email [email protected]

Dtrann,
You'd have to keep checking back SOLAR to see if you can get into it in first semester, and unfortately there's no other way to do it except to keep trying every day :(
Old 07-27-2008 at 07:18 PM   #197
dtrann

Liked: 0 Times

Hey Chad, thanks for your help and this post is to simply update you about my problem.

Anyways, I end up travelling back to McMaster to go fix the problem (only because the idea of checking back SOLAR everyday is absolutely insane!). I got to see an academic counsellor and apparently she said there were only two seats left for MATH 1LS3 in term 1! (woohoo!) So luckly I got the spot and finally fix my balance (:

Well thanks again Chad!

- dtran.
Old 07-29-2008 at 07:02 PM   #198
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrann View Post
Hey Chad, thanks for your help and this post is to simply update you about my problem.

Anyways, I end up travelling back to McMaster to go fix the problem (only because the idea of checking back SOLAR everyday is absolutely insane!). I got to see an academic counsellor and apparently she said there were only two seats left for MATH 1LS3 in term 1! (woohoo!) So luckly I got the spot and finally fix my balance (:

Well thanks again Chad!

- dtran.

Great to hear you got a seat and everything worked out for you Dtran!!! Thanks for posting an update!
Old 07-30-2008 at 06:43 PM   #199
magicalland

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Question about solar timetable
I am wondering are we allowed to pick our own Core when we get our timetable on August 7 or are they going to pick the timings for us since I heard that for most courses, tutorials and labs will be assigned. I don't really understand the point of going to the timetable online and check the timings if we cannot pick courses. can you please clearify this for me?
Thanks
Old 07-30-2008 at 09:31 PM   #200
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalland View Post
I am wondering are we allowed to pick our own Core when we get our timetable on August 7 or are they going to pick the timings for us since I heard that for most courses, tutorials and labs will be assigned. I don't really understand the point of going to the timetable online and check the timings if we cannot pick courses. can you please clearify this for me?
Thanks
The core, tutorial and lab times are automatically assigned (chosen) for you, which you can see on August 7th. When SOLAR reopens on August 11th for undergraduates, you can change the core/tutorial/lab times to your liking (provided there's room and no conflicts).

magicalland says thanks to kenneth526 for this post.
Old 06-25-2009 at 02:25 PM   #201
starryniight

So I'm applying for Level 2 Science courses for solar shadowing the Honors Biology & Environmental Science program. However, I got the opening of SOLAR for me confused and now practically all the courses I'm interested are full so that now I've only got 4 courses for first term and 2 for second term. Should i just keep checking SOLAR or just start rethinking my future?
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:20 PM   #202
stupper

Hey everyone!
I will be a first year engineering student this fall and I'm a little confused about the electives.
As I understand it, I need to take 6 units of complementary studies.
So the list of approved elective courses is here.
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/documents/electives.pdf
I wish to take the Japanese course JAPANESE 1Z06, which is in the white box, at the bottom of the page.
But I'm confused as to the meaning of the disclaimer above the white box. Does it mean that I'm allowed to take JAPANESE 1Z06 as long as I take one of the courses in the blue box throughout my 4 years of engineering? Or am I only allowed to take JAPANESE 1Z06 if I take one of the blue box courses..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:31 PM   #203
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupper View Post
Hey everyone!
I will be a first year engineering student this fall and I'm a little confused about the electives.
I wish to take the Japanese course JAPANESE 1Z06, which is in the white box, at the bottom of the page.
But I'm confused as to the meaning of the disclaimer above the white box. Does it mean that I'm allowed to take JAPANESE 1Z06 as long as I take one of the courses in the blue box throughout my 4 years of engineering? Or am I only allowed to take JAPANESE 1Z06 if I take one of the blue box courses..?

Thank you!
It seems to me that you are allowed to take Japanese 1Z06 as long as you take one of the blue box courses during your four years/five years eng degree.
Old 06-26-2009 at 09:17 AM   #204
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Thank you!
Just a quick note, don't plan on getting into Japanese. It's always in high demand, and it's probably already full. It's easier to get into it during the summer.

Always make sure you have backup electives, in case the ones you want are full.
Old 06-26-2009 at 06:42 PM   #205
stupper

Thank you! I'm still a little confused but I suppose I'll just go ask someone when I go to the orientation thing next friday.

Backup electives? Haha I guess my backup will be French since I'm already bilingual :p

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2009 at 07:00 PM   #206
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Backup electives? Haha I guess my backup will be French since I'm already bilingual :p
Lol, I was going to take french, but both my empty spots were in first semester :(
Old 06-28-2009 at 10:19 PM   #207
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Can someone post an updated version of this? I think first years would really appreciate it, I know I did. =)

daisy says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 06-28-2009 at 10:24 PM   #208
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Can someone post an updated version of this? I think first years would really appreciate it, I know I did. =)
I guess I'll do that... Most of the information there is still correct so I'll just edit some of the outdated stuff. Although I'll have to post it in another article...

daisy says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-28-2009 at 10:44 PM   #209
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
That would be so appreciated
Old 06-28-2009 at 10:57 PM   #210
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
That would be so appreciated
I failed so badly... I don't know what happened but when I tried to make the article nothing posted... Maybe when I edited it, it was too long? I did add some things. Or maybe it's because I'm not an Exec? Anyways, I think it's better if this article is just edited. But sadly I cannot do that.