MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering for courses on SOLAR Psyclone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Question on Picking Electives First on SOLAR Lily88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2012 05:19 PM
Picking Major on Solar MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

Getting Ready For McMaster: 4. Picking Your Courses & Registering On SOLAR

Old 06-10-2008 at 12:34 PM   #46
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

All depends on how it's listed... can you type exactly what you saw?

Tutorials are listed showing what days they take place on... for example:

T01 Mo Tu Fr

That means that Tutorial #01 is on Monday, Tuesday, AND Friday (all 3 days) and you have to go to all of them.

If it is listed as:

T01 Mo 3:30
T02 Fr 5:30

Then it means you only have to pick one of those (#01 or #02). And you can either pick to go Monday at 3:30 OR Friday at 5:30.
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:37 PM   #47
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

for Math 1K03 it says

C01 Tu Th Fr 14:30- 15:20
T01 We 12:30- 13:20
Old 06-10-2008 at 01:10 PM   #48
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

anitaa: your core class (ie lecture) s Tues, Thurs Fri, and your tutorial is Wednesday...so you would need to attend all days.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-10-2008 at 03:11 PM   #49
**jewel 03**

oh ok thanks sorry i have another question...I know I have to take Biology for the Humanities and Social Sciences, but I can't seem to find it on the Master Timetable. I also have to take Psychology 1st term I believe it is called Experimental Psych and then 2nd term its called Psych of Interpersonal Behavior but I can't find that either on the master timetable. And one more thing, I want to take Gerontol-Aging and Society as one of my electives and this is exactly what it lists:

C01 Mo Th 15:30 16:20
Tu 16:30 17:20

now does that mean I go on Monday and Thursday at 3:30-4:20 AND on Tuesday at 4:30-5:20 or just Monday and Thursday OR Tuesday?

Last edited by anitaa : 06-10-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2008 at 03:29 PM   #50
FlyWithMac

Liked: 0 Times

When we look for conflicts, do we look at the Lab and Tutorials times or just the Core (lecture) times? If it is, then it 's going to be confusing!! :S
Old 06-10-2008 at 03:38 PM   #51
FlyWithMac

BIOLOGY shows this:
C01 Mo We Th 13:30 14:20 1 BSB/147
KAJIURA, LJ
PAPACONSTANTINOU, M
XU, J
DUSHOFF, J
C02 Mo We 08:30 09:20 1 CNH/104
KAJIURA, LJ
PAPACONSTANTINOU, M
XU, J
DUSHOFF, J
Fr 10:30 11:20 1
C03 Mo We Th 16:30 17:20 1 BSB/147
KAJIURA, LJ
PAPACONSTANTINOU, M
XU, J
DUSHOFF, J
C04 Mo We Th 10:30 11:20 1 CNH/104

There's like C01 ,C02, C03! Do I have to go to these lectures or just choose one??

I don't know exactly know how to read the timetable. Is there like a tutorial or something that could help me??
Old 06-10-2008 at 03:51 PM   #52
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I'll expand on my explanation of how to actually use the Master Course Timetable soon. Be sure to check out Danielle's article, since she explains what they mean really good.

For those CORE sections (C01, C02, etc) you only pick ONE.

@anitaa: If all those days and times are listed under C01, then yes... you have to go to all of them for that section.

If you can't find the course in the master course timetable, go to your requirements and look up the course code, then find that course code in the master timetable... instead of relying on the course NAME. Rely on the course code instead.
Old 06-10-2008 at 04:07 PM   #53
FlyWithMac

Chad, when you choose Biology courses 1A03 and 1M03, they give out a huge list of Labs and Tutorials. How do we deal with this? and Do u again pick only ONE? or what? I don't understand how this works.

Care to explain WHY there's Core 1,2 and 3? and what do they mean? and do we let SOLAR know what core sections we choose?????????????
Old 06-10-2008 at 05:30 PM   #54
**jewel 03**

oh ok I see, just wondering when I looked the 07/08 course calendar just to get an idea of the courses I found a Biology course for the Humanities and Social Sciences the code was 1K03 but I can't seem to find it on the master timetable nor the online course descriptions does that mean it is no longer offered or I am looking for it in the wrong section??
Old 06-10-2008 at 05:52 PM   #55
nikki12

Hi
i want a course 6 credit one and it is making a problem with my time table right now but even if I get a conflict I will be fine but thats possible only if mugsi allows me..It is so coz I have a conflict with atutorial and they r not graded and I can attend another one at some other time
so what happens if u do not change it?It does not give u a time table?
Old 06-10-2008 at 06:58 PM   #56
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWithMac View Post
Chad, when you choose Biology courses 1A03 and 1M03, they give out a huge list of Labs and Tutorials. How do we deal with this? and Do u again pick only ONE? or what? I don't understand how this works.

Care to explain WHY there's Core 1,2 and 3? and what do they mean? and do we let SOLAR know what core sections we choose?????????????
Multiple cores means that the class where the prof is teaching/lecturing happens multiple times during the week... most likely because the class is so big and they can only fit so many students into the lecture hall at once. So the prof is going to lecture the SAME lecture 3 times. You only need to go to one of them (since it'll be the same material each time). You also need only 1 tutorial. So you pick one core (C0#) and one tutorial (T0#)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaa View Post
oh ok I see, just wondering when I looked the 07/08 course calendar just to get an idea of the courses I found a Biology course for the Humanities and Social Sciences the code was 1K03 but I can't seem to find it on the master timetable nor the online course descriptions does that mean it is no longer offered or I am looking for it in the wrong section??
I looked in the 2008-2009 calendar and couldn't find the course either. Though it's still listed on their website: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/bio...Offerings.html

I say you call them up and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki12 View Post
i want a course 6 credit one and it is making a problem with my time table right now but even if I get a conflict I will be fine but thats possible only if mugsi allows me..It is so coz I have a conflict with atutorial and they r not graded and I can attend another one at some other time
so what happens if u do not change it?It does not give u a time table?
I would not recommend taking a course that conflicts with a tutorial in another course. What if the tutorials are mandatory attendance and count towards your final mark... or you need to hand in a paper or present something in both tutorials at the same time?
Old 06-10-2008 at 07:50 PM   #57
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Hi Chad, I have some questions...

for the biology course that fly with mac mentioned...

they list L and T with numbers beside it....

what does L and T mean? and which number would you pick? The same as your core one? well i don't know really, it goes from L1 to L56 and same for T.

Thanks so much for these explanations!
Old 06-10-2008 at 08:15 PM   #58
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Couple quick questions, simce I see yor pretty swamped here.

Is 10 minutes concievably enough time to get from one class to another? The way my schedule works out I have a few classes like this.

And Im also a little confused by the turorials and labs....if there is a list of like L01-L50 can we pick any one of them? Or do certain ones apply only to certain lectures. Also, if we have a lecture on say friday, is it possible to have a tutorial or lab on say the preceding monday?

If there is a big EOW in red letters beside labs, what does this mean? Also, when it says "drop-in tutorials are available monday through friday" does that mean these tutorials are optional?

Last edited by J-Met : 06-10-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2008 at 08:20 PM   #59
FlyWithMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Hi Chad, I have some questions...

for the biology course that fly with mac mentioned...

they list L and T with numbers beside it....

what does L and T mean? and which number would you pick? The same as your core one? well i don't know really, it goes from L1 to L56 and same for T.

Thanks so much for these explanations!
I have the same question as him but a lil different.
How can you fit Tutorials and Labs schedule in the step "f) Now make two columns beside those courses. One column for TERM OFFERED and another column for DAY/TIMES." of your tip????
Old 06-10-2008 at 08:22 PM   #60
**jewel 03**

J-met I can tell you that EOW means attend every other week .....if that helps and at all..and about the 10 min to each class issue I'm facing the same thing and thus wondering the same thing