MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering for courses on SOLAR Psyclone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Question on Picking Electives First on SOLAR Lily88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2012 05:19 PM
Picking Major on Solar MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

Getting Ready For McMaster: 4. Picking Your Courses & Registering On SOLAR

Old 06-10-2008 at 10:33 PM   #76
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

heyChad, if possible and you have room on the front page. maybe include a visual explaining the difference between the lab sections from my reply above? Specifically th eone where you can only take certain labs in certain core sections?

I'm not good w/ uploading visuals yet... still playing around and figuring out how to. haha. I think visuals will be alot easier for ppl to understand. and its not being able to see what we are talking about that makes them confused, worred and stressed. I love the new ones you've posted.
Old 06-10-2008 at 10:47 PM   #77
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Hey Eva!

Sounds good. I just made a diagram to try and explain what you were saying in your post.
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:02 PM   #78
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Awesome idea Eva!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-10-2008 at 11:06 PM   #79
Eva C
Elite Member

that was quick!! haha. very efficient Chad. hopefully it clears up alot of the confusing. it seems like alot of ppl had trouble w/ the labs/tutorials stuff.

pictures are worth a 1000 words!!
Old 06-10-2008
FlyWithMac
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:25 PM   #80
FlyWithMac

Liked: 0 Times

I have another question: if I choose C01 Mo We Th 13:30 - 14:20 for Biology 1M03, should I choose THREE Labs and THREE Tutorials since my core lectures are on Monday Wednesday and Thursday every week?

...and does it matter if the tutorials and labs are on BEFORE a core lecture?
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:35 PM   #81
Eva C
Elite Member

If you pick C01, then from that entire list pick ONE LAB and ONE TUTORIAL....

I can't image you doing three labs and three tutorials and 3 hours of lecture just for one class. that is too crazy.

Also, tutorials and labs DO NOT start the first week of class. It really doesn't matter. The materials covered for the labs/tutorials are usually covered already in class the week before, if not they try to make it as consistant as possible to be fair to all students.
Old 06-11-2008 at 02:05 AM   #82
nikki12

Hi
What happens if I have a conflict and I am unable to solve it during registration and Mugsi even tells me that there is a conflict in my course selection.So then wont I get a time table at all?
Old 06-11-2008 at 06:20 AM   #83
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You will have to re-arrange your schedule so there are no conflicts...ie pick new classes or new sections until something works.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2008 at 09:45 AM   #84
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I've had a few conflicts in the past and sometimes you have to get rid of a course that you were really excited about because you need to take the mandatory course instead. But there's a ton of other courses you can take instead!
Old 06-11-2008 at 02:08 PM   #85
FlyWithMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
If you pick C01, then from that entire list pick ONE LAB and ONE TUTORIAL....

I can't image you doing three labs and three tutorials and 3 hours of lecture just for one class. that is too crazy.

Also, tutorials and labs DO NOT start the first week of class. It really doesn't matter. The materials covered for the labs/tutorials are usually covered already in class the week before, if not they try to make it as consistant as possible to be fair to all students.
My question was: If you have a lecture 1:30 - 3:30PM can you have a lab and tutorials before that like say 9:00 AM or does tutorials and labs has to be after the lecture??
Old 06-11-2008 at 02:10 PM   #86
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

tutorials/labs can be before or after lecture
Old 06-11-2008 at 03:05 PM   #87
Eva C
Elite Member

as i mentioned before too. Tutorials and labs start a after the first week or so after classes start. The tutorials/labs will usually be on material the previous week before. so you do not have to worry if it is on new material that specific week. any time that fits your schedule is good.
Old 06-11-2008 at 03:25 PM   #88
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I finally got a schedule that works out!....took me a couple of hours though....I can see why you recommend sorting everything out before you go onto SOLAR. It takes way longer than 45 minutes lol.

There is one course that doesn't have its times posted (I believe its engineer saftey training, worth zero credits), so I hope this course doens't screw up my whole schedule. Also, there is a course offered first year called ENGINEERING CO-OP. Im hoping to do a co-op as soon as possible, so, though Ive never heard of this course before, should I add it into my shedule?

Btw, I dont envy engineering students who aren't taking LEAP who have to somehow work in 1C03 and 1P03 into their schedules. Mine was hard enough without these two classes!

Last edited by J-Met : 06-11-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2008 at 03:35 PM   #89
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

All those labs really can mess a schedule up! The engineering safety thing I believe is just a 1 hour session that you go to when you have spare time, and they run it often so you'll be fine; just make sure you actually attend it or you can't get into second year!

You need to take the co-op course before getting access to the co-op job list thing, so it's probably in your best interest to take it, though I've heard it's vaguely like the safety course thing in that it runs multiple sessions. Or at least a couple sessions... I put it into my schedule just in case.