MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering for courses on SOLAR Psyclone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Question on Picking Electives First on SOLAR Lily88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2012 05:19 PM
Picking Major on Solar MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

Getting Ready For McMaster: 4. Picking Your Courses & Registering On SOLAR

Old 06-13-2008 at 09:37 PM   #106
Meg543

Liked: 0 Times

I emailed an advisor from the Faculty of Science (I'm in Life Sci I next year) with some questions about how it works when you register on SOLAR. One of the things she told me is that on June 30th basically all I'm going to be doing is choosing what 10 courses I want and then I will be assigned core, tutorial and lab times. Is this actually true?
I got the idea from reading the article about choosing courses on SOLAR that I would be able to pick all my own core/tutorial/lab times....but now I'm confused because the email definitely said I couldn't.
Old 06-13-2008 at 11:45 PM   #107
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsha View Post
okay, so i was accepted into both humanities and social science.
i couldn't decide which offer to accept but i finally chose social science..
so now that i'm choosing my courses, i see that i only have 12 units in social science (poli sci + sociology) and then the other 18 units are in humanities.
one of the humanities courses i want to take for sure is peace studies.
however, on the SOLAR schedule it says that social science people get to choose their courses on July 4th, whereas humanities people get to choose on July 3rd.
peace studies is only offered once -- first semester only -- and its pretty popular.
SO basically what i'm asking is.. does this mean that there's a really good chance i won't get peace studies because the humanities people get first pick of courses b/c SOLAR opens July 3rd for them?!

:(
Peace Studies actually isn't very popular. They have a very small faculty and very few graduate students. It would also be offered more than once.

However, if you are thinking about majoring in Peace Studies after first year, you can mention that to the department should the course be full when you try to register for it.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-14-2008 at 02:06 PM   #108
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvy88 View Post
oh by the way, i am looking to take a 2nd year geography course if i can, do they fill up particularly quickly? im looking to take one of these:

GEOG 2UI3 Urban Geo
GEOG 2MA3 Statistical Analysis
GEOG 2LI3 Intro to Transport and Economic Activity
GEOG 2MB3 Research Methods in Human Geography
I've heard Urban is popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg543 View Post
I emailed an advisor from the Faculty of Science (I'm in Life Sci I next year) with some questions about how it works when you register on SOLAR. One of the things she told me is that on June 30th basically all I'm going to be doing is choosing what 10 courses I want and then I will be assigned core, tutorial and lab times. Is this actually true?
I got the idea from reading the article about choosing courses on SOLAR that I would be able to pick all my own core/tutorial/lab times....but now I'm confused because the email definitely said I couldn't.
Yes and no. The whole nice thing about SOLAR is you get to pick everything to suite your own timetable IF you've planned it ahead of time - ie. picking your tutorials and other times. However, if the tutorials aren't listed in SOLAR when it comes time to pick your classes then you will be assigned one that best fits your schedule (and can change it during the drop/add period once school starts)

Oh and Newsha, Peace Studies is a GREAT course, I enjoyed it. Learned a lot about NGO's and issues impacting people around the world... some good speakers came to talk with us too.
Old 06-14-2008 at 05:23 PM   #109
newsha

Liked: Liked 5 Times

okay so i am BEYOND stressed right now.
i regret accepting social science :(
i only have 2 classes (12 units) from social science (poli sci + sociology)
and the rest of my 18 elective units are from humanities....
since humanities people get to choose their courses first, i'm gonna be screwed if come midnight the following day, all/some of the courses i want to take are full.. because i dont really want any others from social science.

i'm wondering its too late to get into contact with someone at the school and see if i could switch the social science offer i accepted to humanities.

:( :( :( mrahhhh
Old 06-14-2008 at 06:09 PM   #110
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

First year courses such as what you mentioned should have space...there is normally enough room for 300 people in the course.

And no, they wouldn't let you switch.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-14-2008 at 10:12 PM   #111
newsha

hey i'm wondering if anyone could answer this...

if i take linguistics I does this mean i have to take linguistics II.. it's a separate course but appears to be a continuation :S
Old 06-14-2008 at 11:23 PM   #112
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

nope. unless you're planning on majoring in linguistics.

Old 06-14-2008 at 11:26 PM   #113
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsha View Post
okay so i am BEYOND stressed right now.
i regret accepting social science :(
i only have 2 classes (12 units) from social science (poli sci + sociology)
and the rest of my 18 elective units are from humanities....
since humanities people get to choose their courses first, i'm gonna be screwed if come midnight the following day, all/some of the courses i want to take are full.. because i dont really want any others from social science.

i'm wondering its too late to get into contact with someone at the school and see if i could switch the social science offer i accepted to humanities.

:( :( :( mrahhhh

Don't stress out just yet Newsha! Your courses may all be available when it's your turn to pick, and if one course is full... you can pick something else temporarily and see if the class opens up come drop/add period which happens once school starts (if someone drops the class, it becomes available again). You just need to wait it out. Also, if you take a lot of Humanities courses as electives you may have a chance of switching into Humanities in second year.. just talk with one of the academic advisors once you start in September
Old 06-14-2008 at 11:38 PM   #114
newsha

okay thanks

and one last thing lol

is it true that we don't get to choose our tutorials on SOLAR
cause i had to do a lot of rearranging to get my fridays off and that would really suck if i went through all that and then ended up with a tutorial on the one day i have no classes :S
Old 06-14-2008 at 11:41 PM   #115
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

We can let you know Monday when fourth years pick courses.

Old 06-15-2008 at 03:35 PM   #116
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

As far as I know you can pick your tutorials if they are on SOLAR. Upper year students start entering SOLAR tonight so I'll let you know as soon as I complete mine
Old 06-15-2008 at 09:01 PM   #117
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Added building legend
Old 06-15-2008 at 11:24 PM   #118
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

SEE MORE SOLAR INSTRUCTIONS HERE:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /getreg200809/step3.html
Old 06-19-2008 at 07:47 PM   #119
marrgarita

Liked: 1 Time

cores, labs, tutorials.
okay, say for example I'm taking CO1
does it matter what lab/tutorial I take?
like, is there a specific one that corresponds to the Core class, or vice-versa?

and, do we choose our courses for both first and second semesters right away?

thanks =)
Old 06-19-2008 at 10:31 PM   #120
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrgarita View Post
okay, say for example I'm taking CO1
does it matter what lab/tutorial I take?
like, is there a specific one that corresponds to the Core class, or vice-versa?

and, do we choose our courses for both first and second semesters right away?

thanks =)

See Step #4: