MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering for courses on SOLAR Psyclone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Question on Picking Electives First on SOLAR Lily88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2012 05:19 PM
Picking Major on Solar MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

Getting Ready For McMaster: 4. Picking Your Courses & Registering On SOLAR

Old 06-11-2008 at 04:06 PM   #91
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Sorry, I have one one more question...and this SHOULD be the last lol.

For the engineering co-op course, it gives you the option of taking a saturday course, that runs from 12:00-5:00, or a week course that runs for only two hours.

Why is it that the saturday course is 3 hours longer than the ones offered during the week? I though maybe it was like every-other-saturday, but there is no EOW beside the core.
Old 06-11-2008 at 04:30 PM   #92
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Add specific course codes people, so we can refer you to the right info!

If the course is equivalent to Science 1AO0, you need to take the course before you can be admitted into a lab. They are WHIMIS safety courses, and there is a test you will need to pass.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2008 at 04:33 PM   #93
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Sorry, I have one one more question...and this SHOULD be the last lol.

For the engineering co-op course, it gives you the option of taking a saturday course, that runs from 12:00-5:00, or a week course that runs for only two hours.

Why is it that the saturday course is 3 hours longer than the ones offered during the week? I though maybe it was like every-other-saturday, but there is no EOW beside the core.
The saturday course will be over few saturdays. If it is the same as Soc Sci 2EO0, it is two Saturdays maybe 3 [I'm basing this on 2EO0, I don't know how it works for Eng], I forget), so a total of x hours. Otherwise, you will be taking that same course for two hours a week for the entire term, for a total of x hours.

It depends on if you'd rather have the material evenly spaced through the year, or get a lot done quickly over fewer sessions.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2008 at 04:35 PM   #94
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Sorry, course code for the co-op class is ENGINEER 1EE0.

Its strange that it says ENGINEER 1AO0 is offered second term as well if you need to take it before you enter a lab...

Edit: Thanks for the info about the co-op class. I think I will take the saturday course since my week shcedule seems a little crammed and Im sometimes bored on weekends anyways (though I know in university you are never bored lol)
Old 06-11-2008 at 04:40 PM   #95
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I guess if you don't take chem in term I you'll need it for term II? I have no idea what Eng courses even have labs, really.

And yeah. Eng 1EE0 appears to be the same as the Soc Sci one I mentioned. My old housemates took the Saturday course while I took the through-the-year one. The saturday one ended up having less class hours.

Old 06-13-2008 at 01:57 AM   #96
newsha

Liked: Liked 5 Times

ahhh
okay, so i was accepted into both humanities and social science.
i couldn't decide which offer to accept but i finally chose social science..
so now that i'm choosing my courses, i see that i only have 12 units in social science (poli sci + sociology) and then the other 18 units are in humanities.
one of the humanities courses i want to take for sure is peace studies.
however, on the SOLAR schedule it says that social science people get to choose their courses on July 4th, whereas humanities people get to choose on July 3rd.
peace studies is only offered once -- first semester only -- and its pretty popular.
SO basically what i'm asking is.. does this mean that there's a really good chance i won't get peace studies because the humanities people get first pick of courses b/c SOLAR opens July 3rd for them?!

:(
Old 06-13-2008 at 09:25 AM   #97
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

thanks for your reply, lorend!
Old 06-13-2008 at 10:37 AM   #98
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey newsha, yes there is a chance that you imght not be bale to get hte peace studies because humanitties people get to pick first. But then you got to rmb that they get to pick from a whole course list, so hopefully there are some spots left over for other people. The only advice i can give you is to login at 12 midnight right when it hits July 4th. this way you can beat all the other social science ppl that wnat to take it! But you should also have an alternative course ready that you want to take. If you can't take peace studies this year, and you really want it, take it in year II. By then, you would beat ALL the first years from picking it
Good luck! hope you get the course you want.
Old 06-13-2008 at 01:38 PM   #99
newsha

Liked: Liked 5 Times

ughh well that really sucks :S
so does that mean that humanities people get first pick of social science courses too?! :S what if those fill up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
hey newsha, yes there is a chance that you imght not be bale to get hte peace studies because humanitties people get to pick first. But then you got to rmb that they get to pick from a whole course list, so hopefully there are some spots left over for other people. The only advice i can give you is to login at 12 midnight right when it hits July 4th. this way you can beat all the other social science ppl that wnat to take it! But you should also have an alternative course ready that you want to take. If you can't take peace studies this year, and you really want it, take it in year II. By then, you would beat ALL the first years from picking it
Good luck! hope you get the course you want.
Old 06-13-2008 at 05:18 PM   #100
Eva C
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsha View Post
ughh well that really sucks :S
so does that mean that humanities people get first pick of social science courses too?! :S what if those fill up
Basically all the courses will be open for people to select. Even people in upper years. However, if it is a required course for you to fulfill your program requirement, then there are spots reserved for you in the course. If you realize that somethign you want is full and it is a requirement, then you can go contact your associate dean's office and ask about it. They will try and get you a spot in it. If the course is only an elective then the only other choice is to constantly go back on SOLAR to click and check if the course has been open. People start dropping courses once school start too because they start realising they don't like it, etc. The popular courses will get filled up quickly. That's why you shoudl select courses right at 12:00 when it is the day you register.

Hope that helps. Don't worry, when you get to uppper years, you will get to select courses earlier. If you can't take a course you want, then save it for the following year. I wasn't able to take a course I wanted to during first year. Not a big problem.
Old 06-13-2008 at 06:23 PM   #101
Sync

Liked: 2 Times

If I have something like below, does that mean I can pick any of the tutorials listed with any of the cores? For example, if I wanted C01 with T20 or C04 with T01, could I do that?

Old 06-13-2008 at 06:29 PM   #102
Eva C
Elite Member

YES you are correct Sync.
Old 06-13-2008 at 08:22 PM   #103
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

hi guys! i have a quick question:

are you allowed to take a 2nd year course 2nd term in 1st year if you complete the prerequisite for it 1st term?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2008 at 08:24 PM   #104
Eva C
Elite Member

yes you can, as long as there is room for it. it might get full, so rmb to have some backup courses you want to take too!
Old 06-13-2008 at 08:32 PM   #105
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
yes you can, as long as there is room for it. it might get full, so rmb to have some backup courses you want to take too!
that is good to know. thanks!!

EDIT: oh by the way, i am looking to take a 2nd year geography course if i can, do they fill up particularly quickly? im looking to take one of these:

GEOG 2UI3 Urban Geo
GEOG 2MA3 Statistical Analysis
GEOG 2LI3 Intro to Transport and Economic Activity
GEOG 2MB3 Research Methods in Human Geography

Last edited by dvy88 : 06-13-2008 at 08:38 PM.