MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering for courses on SOLAR Psyclone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Question on Picking Electives First on SOLAR Lily88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2012 05:19 PM
Picking Major on Solar MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

Getting Ready For McMaster: 4. Picking Your Courses & Registering On SOLAR

Old 06-30-2008 at 12:06 AM   #151
FlyWithMac

Liked: 0 Times

SOLAR says

" You do not have the academic requisites for course: BIOLOGY 1A03 2 D
You do not have the academic requisites for course: CHEM 1A03 1 D
You do not have the academic requisites for course: KINESIOL 1Y03 1 D
You do not have the academic requisites for course: PHYSICS 1B03 2 D"

It says I dont aheva academic requisites. I checked the Undergraduate calendar for the prerequisites and its clear that I DO have the requisites and that I satisfay ALL the requirements.. what do i do with this??? PLEASE HELP!!
Old 06-30-2008 at 12:24 AM   #152
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Either a) there is a HUGE glitch with SOLAR right now...or b) you don't meet the prereqs.

Considering you're in Arts Sci or Science...I'm pretty sure you should be able to meet them all.

I'm going to go with a).

Next step: contact your department tomorrow...they're the only ones who can answer you at this point I'm afraid.

(just remember to report back to us so you can help others in the same situation)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-30-2008 at 12:43 AM   #153
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

take science 1a00!!
core 1 in term one
and it'll let you!
Old 06-30-2008 at 01:42 AM   #154
hmac

Why isn't SOLAR letting me pick my core sections? I know for Chem 1A03 there are four different core times but there isn't anywhere for me to pick which one I want. I know we can't pick labs and tutorials, but shouldn't I be able to choose the core? I'm really confused right now.
Old 06-30-2008 at 03:10 AM   #155
raine

Liked: 1 Time

I'm having the same problem! I had everything all nicely planned out and for what if they are gonna do it all for you? I can't believe I spent so much time trying to figure out which cores, tutorials and labs are gonna work the best for me. I'm hating this so much. Please anyone, help.
Old 06-30-2008 at 06:30 AM   #156
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

you have to add science 1ao0 before you can pick core sections for labs.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-30-2008 at 11:33 AM   #157
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

i can't add sections for any of my courses either... i'm in physical sciences I, they don't pick the sections for us, do they? because i like mine the way i made it...

*edit* i just found in the FAQs something that seems to be about this?

Why can’t I find daytime lecture sections, or any tutorial or lab sections?:p>:p>
SOLAR Registration/Course Selection is not set up for students to register in daytime lecture sections, or in tutorial and lab sections. Sections are assigned in late August and will be shown on your personal timetable. To get section assignments or do section changes after classes begin in September, go to the department offering the course.

also, in the master course timetable, it says:
  • Upon enrolling in this course, students will be assigned (Core) (Lab) component(s).
  • Enrolled students must select any unassigned (Core) (Lab) component(s) when SOLAR re-opens after sectioning. Students may select or modify the assignment(s) for the given component(s) until the end of the Drop and Add Period for that term.
for chem 1a03 at least, probably more... isn't that opposite to how it always works?

Last edited by stevennevets : 06-30-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-30-2008 at 12:01 PM   #158
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

i know i'm really just arguing with myself, but i think i've figured it out. in the resgistrar's guide to getting registered, it says:

Section Assignments – Check your Personal Timetable beginning August 7th for your Section details.

so i think we are assigned basic sections then, and then have the opportunity to change them later on.
this fits with everything i've found... right?
Old 06-30-2008 at 03:20 PM   #159
raine

Liked: 1 Time

So I guess they are gonna make a timetable for us and then have us go through all the trouble and change it then? Ahhh that's going to make things more complicated!
p.s. I'm in Physical Sciences I, too, and you are the first person I know other than myself who is in it!!!!!!! WOW!

Last edited by raine : 06-30-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2008 at 03:54 PM   #160
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

stevennevets, this is the second year in a row where course selection has been different than the previous one....so no...this isn't how they always do this!

Old 06-30-2008 at 09:00 PM   #161
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I've mentioned this a few times on the homepage and in the solar articles on macinsiders:

YOU DO NOT PICK YOUR CORES/TUTORIALS/LABS YET. These will be AUTO ASSIGNED for you in August when your personal timetable is constructed for you by the school. As soon as August rolls around, SOLAR closes for a little while and during that time your timetable gets generated and tutorials/labs are automatically picked for you that are conflict-free. Then on August 7th you're able to see that timetable and see what they picked for you. If you're unhappy with what they picked... you can then go into SOLAR and change it around (to what you perfectly planned out ) ... but until then... no lab or tutorial choices!!

SOME courses have CORE choices, but 99% of them done yet. All you will be picking in SOLAR is the courses you want to take and if you want them in first or section semester, and Day or Evening. Thats it!

Hope that helps!
Old 06-30-2008 at 11:05 PM   #162
angel27

Liked: 7 Times

What if one of my required courses is full?
Old 07-01-2008 at 07:59 AM   #163
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You contact your department. If you need the course do progress to second year they have to make space for you.

Old 07-01-2008 at 11:37 AM   #164
James

Hi. Just wondering...I was able to select my courses on SOLAR and confirmed by Payment Agreement. I have a confirmation number and I was allowed to "enable my mac id" so I now have my mac email set up. When I go back to look at my payment summary, it is saying that I am not "fully registered". Could this be because my final high school marks haven't been submitted yet or do I become fully registered when I make my payment? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2008 at 01:27 PM   #165
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If your final marks from your highschool have not been submitted then no, you won't be fully registered. Technically, you aren't confirmed as a McMaster student yet.