MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registering for courses on SOLAR Psyclone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Question on Picking Electives First on SOLAR Lily88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2012 05:19 PM
Picking Major on Solar MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

Getting Ready For McMaster: 4. Picking Your Courses & Registering On SOLAR

Old 06-09-2008 at 10:10 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

That is something you'd actually need to discuss with a faculty advisor...since the high school requirements are now different it is possible you may need to take 1k03 before you can take 1m03

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-09-2008 at 11:18 PM   #32
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurleen View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering if SOLAR works on Macs? Because I wasn't able to complete my res app on my Mac, and instead had to use a PC...

Also, I'm going into social sciences...and SOLAR opens on July 4th for us. Does that mean I dont have to worry about applying until that date??

If you download and use FIREFOX on your Mac, you should be able to use SOLAR just fine.

If your start date is July 4th, then yes. You don't need to worry about registering until that date. However, it gives you plenty of time to start planning it out! So don't leave it to the last minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husnia View Post
Okay, I'm super confused right now.
I'm taking commerce in the fall, and I know that one of the math courses had been changed this year. It was advanced functions/calc before, but this year it changed to calc/vectors. I took advanced functions/calc, but when choosing one of the maths it says if you haven't taken calc/vectors then you need to take a second math course during first year. Does advanced functions/calc not mean the same thing?
I don't want to take a shot in the dark since I am not 100% sure about this one, so I recommend emailing [email protected] to clarify and get help. They will assist with questions about admissions, and have the people who can make sure you get the right answer.
Old 06-09-2008 at 11:42 PM   #33
chaudhary.ak

Liked: 0 Times

course selection
hey i m bit confused while seleccting courses fr example i hav to take 1C03 ENGIN DESIG/GRAPH nd then there r C01-4 on different times nd L01-10 nd T01-10 so does tat means tat i hav to take all the C'S ND L'S ND T'S or v hhav to take only one C01 or C02 or C03 or C04 nd there respective L'S nd T'S will automatically be assigned to us.
i hav read this article http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1823 4
but i m still confused..........tha nking in advance
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:10 AM   #34
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

C0x is your course section. So you will need to choose one of these. From there, you are able to pick your lab (L0x) and tutorial (T0x) components depending on which core you are in.

For example, C01 offers L1-5 and T1-3, so you will need to pick a lab component and tutorial component from those if you wish to be in section 1 (C01) of the course.

C02 offers L6-9, and T4-8...so if you want to be in section two of the course you will need to pick a lab and tutorial component from the numbers listed.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-10-2008 at 12:19 AM   #35
chaudhary.ak

i m feeling kind of stupid asking this again but i hav to be exactly sure.................
so v hav to choose only one core course nd frm there v cn select any one tutorial or lab which ever is avalible wid tat core course right?? thanks again
Old 06-10-2008 at 06:43 AM   #36
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup, that's right. Your tutorials and labs will correspond with the core you chose.

Old 06-10-2008 at 11:45 AM   #37
MEGnificent

I'm very confused. I want to ake political science 1G06 and it goes over in both semesters obviously.. so then I assume it's labelled under term 3. However, when I type it into the master course time table.. it gives me a list of ALL the cores and tutorials.. how do i know which classes are in what term? And what about tutorials? Do I only choose ONE tutorial for each course I want to take?
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:48 AM   #38
chaudhary.ak

confused?????
hey i m going to engineering nd i hav to take engineer 1p03 nd tat is a course tat is offered in term 3 hw come a 3 unit course be in term 3 (which according to me are the courses which v do in term 1 nd 2)
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:57 AM   #39
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

some courses are like that. maybe because the workload is not as big. There are courses that are for full year but only worth 3 units.. its just the way it is. haha. maybe you only have to go to class one or two hours a week.
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:04 PM   #40
Eva C
Elite Member

hey meg, i just checked out your course on the timetable. when you click on it indicates that there is one course section C01 which means you have lectures on monday and thurs at 9:30-10:30 then also tues at 10:30. When you look at the column MEET TERM, it indicates 3, which means that it is term 3. This set of lecture time is what you have for both TERM 1 and TERM 2. which means that it won't change between the terms! (Just make a note that, there are some 6 unit courses that has different class times during term 1 and term 2, so you look at that column to find out! it would indicate a 1 or 2, even though you know that it is a full year course! hope that isn't too confusing)

and yes, from the list of tutorials you have down there, you pick one ! whichever one you feel fits your schedule more.

Hope that helps. ask again if you need any more clarifications!
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:15 PM   #41
chaudhary.ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
some courses are like that. maybe because the workload is not as big. There are courses that are for full year but only worth 3 units.. its just the way it is. haha. maybe you only have to go to class one or two hours a week.
thanks tat makes sence nw i looked at it nd its only 1 day/week fr 1 hr. but then hw will the midterm work (bit confused)
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:19 PM   #42
Eva C
Elite Member

midterms.. well it depends on your course. some courses don't even have midterms. there can be just assignments, group work or presentations. its hard to say.. i haven't taken any courses like that before..you'll have to see when you go to class or see the course outline.
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:25 PM   #43
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhary.ak View Post
hey i m going to engineering nd i hav to take engineer 1p03 nd tat is a course tat is offered in term 3 hw come a 3 unit course be in term 3 (which according to me are the courses which v do in term 1 nd 2)
http://www.physics.mcmaster. ca/phys1p03/

The course appears to only be a single semester course. It may be offered in BOTH semesters (so you can take it in Semester 1 OR in Semester 2).
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:26 PM   #44
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGnificent View Post
I'm very confused. I want to ake political science 1G06 and it goes over in both semesters obviously.. so then I assume it's labelled under term 3. However, when I type it into the master course time table.. it gives me a list of ALL the cores and tutorials.. how do i know which classes are in what term? And what about tutorials? Do I only choose ONE tutorial for each course I want to take?
If the course is a 6 unit course, then you are correct... it goes over both semesters. Therefore, your tutorial is the same tutorial for BOTH semesters, you only have one tutorial.

So all the tutorials listed are for the entire two semesters (at least that's what makes logical sense). You pick one of them and then that is the tutorial you'd have for both semesters. The 'core' class you pick would then also run over both semesters.
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:30 PM   #45
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
By picking your courses you inevitably make your timetable.

All of your courses are at specific days and times, thus depending on what section you pick you will have course at a certain time.
when it gives it says on the master timetable Tues.Thurss. Friday at a certain time does that mean we have to go to all three days or pick either tues, thurs, or friday?