MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
GO Transit Student ID Card jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 72 09-07-2010 11:06 PM
Online Bursary Application Available Sept. 15 2009 u.yousaf MacInsiders Announcements 8 09-15-2009 09:17 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
Light Rail Transit (LRT) Info Session temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-30-2008 03:27 PM

GO Transit ID card Application Process for 2009/10 Session

Old 08-01-2009 at 05:08 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
ewwwww not a fan.

perhaps it's so Compass doesn't have hundreds of lonely, unclaimed GO Transit ID cards?
Hmmm, that's true. It allows them to print the cards on the spot so they don't have to print cards that aren't going to be used. It probably saves enough money that GO Transit decided to opt for this new system.

Old 08-01-2009 at 05:33 PM   #31
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
perhaps it's so Compass doesn't have hundreds of lonely, unclaimed GO Transit ID cards?
Lol that's what I was thinking. I feel sorry for those cards... when I come by to pick mine up and I see the huge stack just waiting to be picked up.

Old 08-02-2009 at 08:01 AM   #32
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Hmmm, that's true. It allows them to print the cards on the spot so they don't have to print cards that aren't going to be used. It probably saves enough money that GO Transit decided to opt for this new system.
Yeah, instead, we have to waste money to go to Hamilton and then Toronto.

This new system is complete balls, no sugarcoating from me.

Old 08-05-2009 at 10:52 PM   #33
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times
Hmm looks like they have again made a few changes in the application process and perhaps made it even more complicated :(

Heres the updated info:
Effective August 1, 2009, students must go to the Office of the Registrar (GH-108) to request a letter of eligibility for the GO Student ID card. The student must then go to the Parking Office (E. T. Clarke Centre) to fill out an application form and have it signed by an authorized official in the Parking Office. The student may then take their application directly to GO Transit’s Union Station for on-the-spot processing.

Or, if preferred, they may send or deliver it along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to GO’s Union Station Customer Service Centre for processing. Please allow four to six weeks for processing. Cards may also be picked up from the Customer Service Centre at Union Station.

Source: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...OStudentID.htm

Last edited by saukalra : 08-05-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Old 08-05-2009 at 10:57 PM   #34
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saukalra View Post
Hmm looks like they have again made a few changes in the application process and perhaps made it even more complicated :(

Heres the updated info:
Effective August 1, 2009, students must go to the Office of the Registrar (GH-108) to request a letter of eligibility for the GO Student ID card. The student must then go to the Parking Office (E. T. Clarke Centre) to fill out an application form and have it signed by an authorized official in the Parking Office. The student may then take their application directly to GO Transit’s Union Station for on-the-spot processing.

Or, if preferred, they may send or deliver it along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to GO’s Union Station Customer Service Centre for processing. Please allow four to six weeks for processing. Cards may also be picked up from the Customer Service Centre at Union Station.

Let me just say...

What the f---

And why? It was so simple before.

Old 08-06-2009 at 10:43 AM   #35
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You save about 10-15%. Very worth it. Even if you only buy one 10-ticket pass. Plus the GO ID is free, so definitively get one.
It's 10-30%, actually. It all depends on what route you're on to the discount you get.

Generally the price works out to be the same as eight rides at the adult price, so it's like getting two free.

Quote:
ewwwww not a fan.

Not too sure, but the decision was made on behalf of GO.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-06-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Old 08-06-2009 at 01:03 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukalra View Post

Heres the updated info:

Seriously? It's turning into a goose chase >.>

Old 08-06-2009 at 03:18 PM   #37
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Please note that the initial post has been edited to reflect new information from Compass.

Also, that students should be consulting the Compass website for any other possible changes to the application process.

Thanks!
Danielle
MacInsiders VP Admin

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-06-2009 at 06:00 PM   #38
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times
Does the GO Transit ID card give 10-30% discounts on student monthly passes or adult monthly passes because I read somewhere it said adult monthly passes?

Old 08-06-2009 at 08:54 PM   #39
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
Does the GO Transit ID card give 10-30% discounts on student monthly passes or adult monthly passes because I read somewhere it said adult monthly passes?
The discount is on the Adult Monthly Passes and Adult 10-Ticket Rides. After the discounts are given they are termed Student Monthly Passes and Student 10-Ticket Rides respectively.

Old 08-06-2009 at 08:58 PM   #40
lankan_4lif

So why not just get a Student Monthly Pass instead, its cheaper than an Adult Monthly Pass (with discount)?

Old 08-06-2009 at 09:00 PM   #41
lankan_4lif

Nvm, the adult monthly pass with 30% discount is cheaper than the student monthly pass. Isn't the adult monthly pass for non full-time students?

Old 08-06-2009 at 09:10 PM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Read what I said carefully.

Recap:

Adult + Discount = Student

Old 08-07-2009 at 10:41 AM   #43
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
Nvm, the adult monthly pass with 30% discount is cheaper than the student monthly pass. Isn't the adult monthly pass for non full-time students?
An adult pass is for anyone 18-65. Remember that thousands of people use GO every day.

Remember you can buy a student pass without the GO ID, but if you're caught without it on the train/bus you will get fined. I've seen GO fine two people and they don't take any shit.

Old 08-07-2009 at 10:43 AM   #44
lankan_4lif

O shit, so you need the GO ID card to show your a student, I see. Thanks a lot. I have to show both my student card and GO ID card, if the driver asks for it right?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search