MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
GO Transit Student ID Card jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 72 09-07-2010 11:06 PM
Online Bursary Application Available Sept. 15 2009 u.yousaf MacInsiders Announcements 8 09-15-2009 09:17 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
Light Rail Transit (LRT) Info Session temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-30-2008 03:27 PM

GO Transit ID card Application Process for 2009/10 Session

Old 08-07-2009 at 10:50 PM   #60
nciggle

Liked: 11 Times
Great so they're just making you go from one place to the next to the next. *Sigh* Well maybe if I'm in Hamilton for Ultimate this summer I'll get it done sooner than later, otherwise I'll wait until school starts and try and get it validated through the Hamilton Go station ( i think that was an option?)

Noah Ciglen
Honours Arts&Science II

Old 08-07-2009 at 10:54 PM   #61
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
You could do it at Hamilton GO centre, but you'd have to mail it, and it takes 2 weeks I believe. But you'd still have to go through the picking application/getting it signed/getting the enrolment letter - process :(

michelle likes this.

Old 08-17-2009 at 09:42 AM   #62
Quester

Liked: 6 Times
Man...why does Mac have to be such an a$$. Even York is allowing on-line processing!

Old 08-17-2009 at 10:47 AM   #63
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
Man...why does Mac have to be such an a$$. Even York is allowing on-line processing!
It actually has nothing to do with Mac. This was GO's decision.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-17-2009 at 10:57 AM   #64
Quester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
It actually has nothing to do with Mac. This was GO's decision.
I don't understand. Why would Go only want Mac to change the process and not other universities? Surely, both parties have compromised on some kind of deal...?

Old 08-17-2009 at 11:01 AM   #65
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Nope.

I talked to the Compass manager last week and they said that this was GO's decision and Compass was not impressed. To paraphrase, of course.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-17-2009 at 11:03 AM   #66
Quester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Nope.

I talked to the Compass manager last week and they said that this was GO's decision and Compass was not impressed. To paraphrase, of course.
Thanks. Were there any reasons?

Old 08-17-2009 at 11:04 AM   #67
michelle

Liked: 61 Times
I talked to the GO people on Welcome Day and asked about the change. All they would say is, "Talk to your student union about it. We're not happy about the change, either."

Old 08-17-2009 at 11:12 AM   #68
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Thanks. Were there any reasons?
Not that I know of, no.

However, I have a feeling it has something to do with GO being a large corporation and trying to get more profit.

Which I realize sounds very conspiracy theory-ish...but well, GO is trying to increase their profits. This is a very easy way for them to do so.

Let me explain...

Student buys student ticket without GO Student ID. Goes on bus or train and is asked for their ID. Fined because they do not have a valid one. OR students will buy adult tickets since they don't want to get fined. Since adult tickets costs 10-30% more their profit margin is higher.

Old 08-17-2009 at 11:19 AM   #69
Quester

Yeah, the profit theory is the first idea that popped into my head when I read about the change. I wonder how much the fine would be...

What would happen if I do get caught, don't have any id (GO, student, drivers license, health cards, etc), and tell false info about myself? Any ideas?

Old 08-17-2009 at 11:20 AM   #70
michelle

Liked: 61 Times
It's not really worth it. Just buy a ticket.

Old 08-17-2009 at 11:24 AM   #71
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yeah, the profit theory is the first idea that popped into my head when I read about the change. I wonder how much the fine would be...

What would happen if I do get caught, don't have any id (GO, student, drivers license, health cards, etc), and tell false info about myself? Any ideas?
The fine is $110 from what I've seen when people get caught. I'm not sure if it can be more or less than that.

But as michelle said...just buy a ticket. And the proper one.

Old 08-17-2009 at 12:34 PM   #72
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Yeah this would be a good way for GO to make more money b/c I imagine this may lead some who absolutely have to to purchase adult tickets, at least at first b/c they can't get a GO ID in time. I mean it may be near impossible for some students to make it to Mac to get the form and then to Union station to get the form processed before school starts. Students have summer jobs and many don't have cars so transportation would be a problem. Going all the way to McMaster before school if you live far can be a big trip and costly. Then to go to Union it's even more. Then if you don't go to Union station in person it can take weeks to process your GO ID. School may have already started and you would have had to purchase the full price pass for maybe the first month of school.

Old 08-18-2009 at 11:01 PM   #73
Jake

Liked: 107 Times
"The student must then go to the Parking Office (E. T. Clarke Centre) to fill out an application form and have it signed by an authorized official in the Parking Office."

Why do we need to do this? and where is Clark Centre?

Old 08-18-2009 at 11:06 PM   #74
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
"The student must then go to the Parking Office (E. T. Clarke Centre) to fill out an application form and have it signed by an authorized official in the Parking Office."

Why do we need to do this? and where is Clark Centre?
Because those are the conditions set out by GO Transit.

The ET Clarke Center is near the big smoke stack in the West Quad of campus.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search