MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Buying a laptop from Titles? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-13-2010 12:04 PM
buying a laptop cjdzl Computers & Tech 5 07-22-2010 12:58 PM
Tips for Buying a Laptop (Extended Edition): Part Two crucif3x Technology 9 08-31-2009 11:01 PM
Tips For Buying a New Laptop: Extended Edition (Part One) crucif3x Technology 27 07-31-2009 11:55 AM

Laptop Buying Tips

Old 07-04-2009 at 09:03 PM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,731 Times
haha.

Unsuspecting student: "Hey bud, thats a nice laptop, what is it?"
You: "It's a whatchamacallit"
Unsuspecting student: "A what?"
You: "a whatchamacallit!"
Unsuspecting student: "It's called a netbook, just for your info"
You: "No silly! It's a whatchamacallit!"
Unsuspecting student: "You're weird." *leaves*
You: *grin*
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-04-2009 at 09:04 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
haha.

Lol, you can have endless fun like that ^-^
Old 07-04-2009 at 09:05 PM   #17
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

PS. Here's the Dell XPS laptop I have. Great machine. Blazing fast for games and multimedia, small and light, 4 hr battery, and looks slick.
Old 07-04-2009 at 09:08 PM   #18
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Funny you say that. I actually wouldn't get a netbook, just my own preference. I think netbook screens are too small, may as well own an iPod Touch haha. I like having at least a 15" screen or bigger for proper web browsing on a larger screen, but also because I do web design on my laptop and need a larger screen.

However, netbooks serve their purpose, and are very cheap to buy for those looking for something to just do the basics. There are some really nice ones on the market right now at FutureShop... such as this LG ($429), this Dell ($599),

They even have a netbook called a Whatchamacallit lol. Looks ugly.
I know, thats why I said that. You want small, long battery, light, yet a big screen. You do web design etc....it sounds like you're replacing your desktop? lol...I guess what I am trying to say is that people really need to look at what they want out of the whole experience. If they have a desktop and want to carry a device around, i say go netboook. If you want some computing power and usability at home, I suggest looking for a laptop with decent specs(and bulkier).
Old 07-04-2009 at 09:20 PM   #19
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I know, thats why I said that. You want small, long battery, light, yet a big screen. You do web design etc....it sounds like you're replacing your desktop? lol...I guess what I am trying to say is that people really need to look at what they want out of the whole experience. If they have a desktop and want to carry a device around, i say go netboook. If you want some computing power and usability at home, I suggest looking for a laptop with decent specs(and bulkier).
Good advice
Old 07-04-2009 at 09:21 PM   #20
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
To avoid overheating, you could consider investing in a "cooling mat"
I just learned about those and they seem like the most brilliant conception since an overheating laptop

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-04-2009 at 09:33 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Quote:
haha.

Haha veryy nice
Old 07-04-2009 at 09:34 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
To avoid overheating, you could consider investing in a "cooling mat"
I just learned about those and they seem like the most brilliant conception since an overheating laptop
I just use a stand for my laptop. It's the one that tilts up and down. It's very practical for when you are on the bed. One, it keeps the laptop from your bed. Two, it brings it up to a very nice height for typing.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:13 AM   #23
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endearing66 View Post
i am gonna join mac this fall as first year eng. student and most prob will take software field in my second year. i m more concern abt weight, battery life, also good features... confused between dell studio xps http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/...-studio-xps-13 or macbook pro. also 13 inch or 15 ??? which one is better for me in ur opinion???
I would go for the Dell in an instant! that machine is pretty massive, 4 gig ram, 320 gig harddrive, Geforce 9500m is pretty decent as well. Though I'm probably biased since I've only used Dell my whole life and I'm not that big a fan of Apples. That's mostly because I feel you overpay just for the brand name, looks and overall razztazz of an Macbook: which even I admit looks awesome. But the Dell Pc's normally have more power for lesser money!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

endearing66 says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:30 AM   #24
stressedspec
Account Locked
Program: Economics
Year: Fourth

Liked: 25 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I would go for the Dell in an instant! that machine is pretty massive, 4 gig ram, 320 gig harddrive, Geforce 9500m is pretty decent as well. Though I'm probably biased since I've only used Dell my whole life and I'm not that big a fan of Apples. That's mostly because I feel you overpay just for the brand name, looks and overall razztazz of an Macbook: which even I admit looks awesome. But the Dell Pc's normally have more power for lesser money!
Ive gone through a fair share of laptops, cousin owns just about every single brand. I do not reccomend going with the studio xps 13 the build quality blows, it heats up when performing simple tasks and the battery life is terrible. The best laptop is the new 13 macbook pro, i suggest buying it and getting the free ipod, selling the ipod and using the money for textbooks. I benchmarked the battery the other day, with screen brightness at half, watching youtube videos, typing a document and itunes playing music i got 6 hours and 20 minutes of battery. Some PC alternatives would be the dell m1330 without the nvidia 8400gs graphics card its a defective card. The Sony FW series is a good laptop if you need a large screen and is affordable. Also check at apples refurbished section at there website they have some amazing deals.

As students we are financially limited but your laptop is really important considering everything goes through webct, so make sure its reliable and will last.

endearing66, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to stressedspec for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:50 AM   #25
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
Ive gone through a fair share of laptops, cousin owns just about every single brand. I do not reccomend going with the studio xps 13 the build quality blows, it heats up when performing simple tasks and the battery life is terrible. The best laptop is the new 13 macbook pro, i suggest buying it and getting the free ipod, selling the ipod and using the money for textbooks. I benchmarked the battery the other day, with screen brightness at half, watching youtube videos, typing a document and itunes playing music i got 6 hours and 20 minutes of battery. Some PC alternatives would be the dell m1330 without the nvidia 8400gs graphics card its a defective card. The Sony FW series is a good laptop if you need a large screen and is affordable. Also check at apples refurbished section at there website they have some amazing deals.

As students we are financially limited but your laptop is really important considering everything goes through webct, so make sure its reliable and will last.
Oh okay, I never really had any problems wiith a dell, I've used a couple of dimensions, inspirons and the XPS and used them both for programming and hardcore gaming. Thanks for the post!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-05-2009 at 02:11 AM   #26
stressedspec
Account Locked
Program: Economics

Liked: 25 Times
And those of you who do decide to go with the 13 inch macbook pro, I recommend going for the base 2.26 model and upgrading the ram yourself, you pay a premium for apple ram which offers no boost in performance.
Old 07-05-2009 at 06:28 AM   #27
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times
what about Toshiba??? IS it good?? infact could any one tell me wats bad abt it??
Old 07-05-2009 at 06:30 AM   #28
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times
and how much does the cooling mat cost by the way? i've heard it 40bucks??
Old 07-05-2009 at 06:39 AM   #29
PilotMal
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Year: First
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 30 Times
MacBooks ftw!

Not only are they just awesome, but they're environmentally friendly

Article Tools