MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Buying a laptop from Titles? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-13-2010 12:04 PM
buying a laptop cjdzl Computers & Tech 5 07-22-2010 12:58 PM
Tips for Buying a Laptop (Extended Edition): Part Two crucif3x Technology 9 08-31-2009 11:01 PM
Tips For Buying a New Laptop: Extended Edition (Part One) crucif3x Technology 27 07-31-2009 11:55 AM

Laptop Buying Tips

Old 07-05-2009 at 10:37 AM   #30
_Luu_
Elite Member
Program: Medical Radiation Sciences (Radiation Therapy)
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 184 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
what about Toshiba??? IS it good?? infact could any one tell me wats bad abt it??
Yes, it's that good. You can run dozens of programs at the same time and it will barely overheat. The keyboard and touchpad are responsive, but it will only give around 2.5-3 hrs of battery life, 4 hrs if you run it on Power Saver. Toshiba's don't seem to break down (from my observation), and as long you keep it well-maintained and not watch any internet ****, it could last a long time.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-05-2009 at 10:44 AM   #31
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth

Liked: 473 Times
Toshiba <3

I highly recommend my Toshiba. I've had it for almost 2 years and I've never had a problem with it. I have a cooling fan for it but I don't find it gets super hot anyway, even after hours of use I can still sit with it on my lap.

As mentioned above the battery life isn't super great but that's with many laptops. I didn't find it to be a problem personally b/c I didn't take my laptop to classes. I used it mostly in my room or working on projects or at home where plugs were available. That said there's always options for additional battery power.

I liked my Toshiba laptop so much when purchasing my family's first big, flat screen, HDTV I did the research and ended up choosing a Toshiba TV. It's wonderful.

The only brand I wouldn't recommend honestly is a Dell, just because everyone I've known with a Dell has had nothing but complaints about it.

Also I don't think it's been mentioned but with a PC there's a decision to be made between the two different processor brands, as in Intel vs AMD. The AMD can be cheaper but I personally wouldn't go with it.

Last edited by sew12 : 07-05-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:44 PM   #32
kanishka
winning
Program: Software Engineering

Liked: 39 Times
the 2.5-3 hrs of battery backup you are talking about is with a 6 cell battery right? coz i'm planning to buy one with 12 cell battery!!

Last edited by goelk : 07-05-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:46 PM   #33
kanishka
winning

by the way i'm not really a gamer but i want my laptop to be ultra smooth while navigating thru internet and during multi-tasking so what would be the ideal amt i shud spend on buying one? also keep in mind tht i want a laptop which i would't need to upgrade for the next 4 years....and windows 7 should also work smoothly...so how much shud i spend in buying the kind of laptop i want? i am personally looking at toshiba!!
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:47 PM   #34
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Toshiba <3

I highly recommend my Toshiba. I've had it for almost 2 years and I've never had a problem with it. I have a cooling fan for it but I don't find it gets super hot anyway, even after hours of use I can still sit with it on my lap.
What model is your Toshiba laptop, if you don't mind me asking ?
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:49 PM   #35
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Quote:
also keep in mind tht i want a laptop which i would't need to upgrade for the next 4 years....toshiba!!
Sadly, I don't think anyone can guarantee that, since 4 years is a pretty long time, and no matter how incredible it is, you'd have to get it upgraded/fixed or something once in a while.. Maybe once every 1.5/2 years.. Don't think it can go more than that.. Speaking from my experience with a Toshiba laptop
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:50 PM   #36
_Luu_
Elite Member

Quote:
by the way i'm not really a gamer but i want my laptop to be ultra smooth while navigating thru internet and during multi-tasking so what would be the ideal amt i shud spend on buying one? also keep in mind tht i want a laptop which i would't need to upgrade for the next 4 years....and windows 7 should also work smoothly...so how much shud i spend in buying the kind of laptop i want? i am personally looking at toshiba!!
Good idea. You could try HP, but the last time I went laptop-shopping, I noticed the HP laptops generated too much heat. Maybe they improved on that.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:52 PM   #37
kanishka
winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Sadly, I don't think anyone can guarantee that, since 4 years is a pretty long time, and no matter how incredible it is, you'd have to get it upgraded/fixed or something once in a while.. Maybe once every 1.5/2 years.. Don't think it can go more than that.. Speaking from my experience with a Toshiba laptop
ok since you have Toshiba too, then could you tell me how is its build? Overheating problems? How is it for multitasking?
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:53 PM   #38
kanishka
winning

by the way u didn't reply to "how much shud i spend?" part...can u please reply to tht?
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:55 PM   #39
_Luu_
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
By the way, my last one lasted 5 years. I used it until it died on me. Quite merciless.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:57 PM   #40
_Luu_
Elite Member

Quote:
by the way u didn't reply to "how much shud i spend?" part...can u please reply to tht?
I have a 13" model, so it's more expensive. But if you're fine with 15" builds, then I'd say at least $750-800 including taxes.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:59 PM   #41
kanishka
winning

why is a 13" model more expensive?shouldn't it be more cheaper? and by the way isn't 13" screen a bit too small?i am asking this coz i always wanted to know whether a 13" screen is inconvenient or not!
Old 07-05-2009 at 03:02 PM   #42
_Luu_
Elite Member

Quote:
why is a 13" model more expensive?shouldn't it be more cheaper? and by the way isn't 13" screen a bit too small?i am asking this coz i always wanted to know whether a 13" screen is inconvenient or not!
Portability is a premium, that's why it's more expensive. And personally, I don't think 13" screens are too small. Unless you have really bad eyesight.
Old 07-05-2009 at 03:02 PM   #43
stressedspec
Account Locked
Program: Economics

Liked: 25 Times
a 13 inch is the perfect size for any student, my only complaint with my 13 inch notebook was that in psychology we have to watch lectures online and take notes, side by side the windows were just too small, so if you plan on looking at multiple windows at the same time i suggest going with a 15 inch laptop or a 16 inch( Sony FW FTW) but if your just going to be looking at one window at a a time then 13 inch is perfect
Old 07-05-2009 at 03:05 PM   #44
kanishka
winning

how about this one?would you recommend this?http://www.toshibadirect.com /td/b2...tellite-_-A500

Article Tools