MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Buying a laptop from Titles? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-13-2010 12:04 PM
buying a laptop cjdzl Computers & Tech 5 07-22-2010 12:58 PM
Tips for Buying a Laptop (Extended Edition): Part Two crucif3x Technology 9 08-31-2009 11:01 PM
Tips For Buying a New Laptop: Extended Edition (Part One) crucif3x Technology 27 07-31-2009 11:55 AM

Laptop Buying Tips

Old 07-05-2009 at 06:58 PM   #75
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
I'm quite blind but I don't mind the 13". I have a 19" HP monitor if I really want the widescreen effect.

But I prefer a 13" on a laptop because I can recline and read on the screen, rather than with my massive HP where I hunched over and developed severe neck pain despite it being so big. (again that's just me personally)

If you can, burn your movies on CDs and play them on a TV.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:00 PM   #76
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
Thats because apples operating system automatically defragments the hard drive periodically. Another advantage of using os X.
Like I said, JKDefrag with defragment your drive when the screensaver appears if you have Windows. Plus there are multiple defragmenting options, as well as a wash function.
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:08 PM   #77
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I think that engineer/developer simply meant that a consumer shouldn't have to take the responsibility of defragmentation themselves

I still have to read up what it means. The tab is open I just haven't read it yet.

Why am I so bad with commas today?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2009 at 07:09 PM   #78
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 473 Times
Overall I think that will be a very helpful post to students looking for a laptop who perhaps aren't as experienced with computers.

That said I don't think recommending the extended warranties is a good idea. Most consumer awareness type sites and the like recommend AGAINST getting extended warranties. They are a ripoff and you're basically just shelling out a lot of extra money to Best Buy or whoever else.

As for do it yourself fixing I definitely agree that you shouldn't do it if you don't know what you're doing. That said I wouldn't run to a big box store like BB right away though. I find they charge a lot of money for simple stuff. (For example Geek Squad charges $99 to set up your home network or transfer all your files from a PC to a new Mac, things that can easily be done by yourself for free). I'd find someone I knew who knows about/works with computers first to get advice on the situation or maybe even they could fix it. Of course if you're under your original warranty definitely get the company to fix it.

It depends on what you need fixed or upgraded too. Some things are more complicated than others though.
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:10 PM   #79
kanishka
winning
Program: Software Engineering

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I'm quite blind but I don't mind the 13". I have a 19" HP monitor if I really want the widescreen effect.

But I prefer a 13" on a laptop because I can recline and read on the screen, rather than with my massive HP where I hunched over and developed severe neck pain despite it being so big. (again that's just me personally)

If you can, burn your movies on CDs and play them on a TV.
from this i get the feeling tht a 13" is not good enuf to watch movies....see the reason i'm asking is bcoz i'll be staying in residence and the only thing on which i can watch movies i want to is my laptop....
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:20 PM   #80
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
from this i get the feeling tht a 13" is not good enuf to watch movies....see the reason i'm asking is bcoz i'll be staying in residence and the only thing on which i can watch movies i want to is my laptop....
I have a 15.4 inch but I think a 13 inch would be sufficient for one person to watch a movie on.

That said your laptop isn't the only thing you can watch movies on in residence. All the movies you'll be downloading from DC++ you'll watch on your laptop but there are TVs with DVD players in the residences. All the common rooms in every residence have TVs with a DVD player hooked up as well. So if you bring or rent DVDs you can watch them with friends in the common room on a TV, probably a 27 inch screen.
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:28 PM   #81
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Overall I think that will be a very helpful post to students looking for a laptop who perhaps aren't as experienced with computers.

That said I don't think recommending the extended warranties is a good idea. Most consumer awareness type sites and the like recommend AGAINST getting extended warranties. They are a ripoff and you're basically just shelling out a lot of extra money to Best Buy or whoever else.

As for do it yourself fixing I definitely agree that you shouldn't do it if you don't know what you're doing. That said I wouldn't run to a big box store like BB right away though. I find they charge a lot of money for simple stuff. (For example Geek Squad charges $99 to set up your home network or transfer all your files from a PC to a new Mac, things that can easily be done by yourself for free). I'd find someone I knew who knows about/works with computers first to get advice on the situation or maybe even they could fix it. Of course if you're under your original warranty definitely get the company to fix it.

It depends on what you need fixed or upgraded too. Some things are more complicated than others though.

I forgot about that
You're completely right, Stefanie

I personally never resorted to Best Buy for anything other than hard drive issues
When I did get a virus, I eliminated those myself, I set up all our networks and when they informed me I had a software problem, I reformatted the HDD.

Unless it's time related or recovering files off a dead hard disk and reinstalling it yourself or something to do with processors, motherboards etc...if you have the time, patience and dedication to learn about the problem yourself to fix it (and you don't have to dissect your computer to do it), then I'd recommend you try the simplest seeming solutions to your computer problems if you are assured these won't damage it further..

I.e. Does Microsoft Office stop working randomly?
Install the recommended updates, see if Microsoft has any information on the website about the problem and uninstall the program and reinstall it.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2009 at 07:29 PM   #82
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I wanted the biggest screen but...I'm too poor. :(

lmfao

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2009 at 07:30 PM   #83
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I.e. Does Microsoft Office stop working randomly?
Install the recommended updates, see if Microsoft has any information on the website about the problem and uninstall the program and reinstall it.
Speaking of Microsoft Office, anyone excited for Office 2010?
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:31 PM   #84
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I wanted the biggest screen but...I'm too poor. :(

lmfao
It also means a heavier laptop :\
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:34 PM   #85
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Speaking of Microsoft Office, anyone excited for Office 2010?
No.

Open Office all the way. (Star Office if you have a Mac).

Open source software <3
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:36 PM   #86
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Office 2007 can get annoying sometimes.. I can only imagine what 2010 is gonna be like XD
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:40 PM   #87
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Office 2007 can get annoying sometimes.. I can only imagine what 2010 is gonna be like XD
You can see the previews on youtube. They released betas out to people in the US, all you had to do was apply and you got the application sent for free. I was going to try it out but sadly it's the US only.
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:52 PM   #88
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Oh darnn.. Thanks I'll try the youtube videos.. It would've been nice to try out the beta version.. Oh well :(
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:21 PM   #89
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
No.

Open Office all the way. (Star Office if you have a Mac).

Open source software <3
Star Office ? What's that?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Article Tools