MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Buying a laptop from Titles? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-13-2010 12:04 PM
buying a laptop cjdzl Computers & Tech 5 07-22-2010 12:58 PM
Tips for Buying a Laptop (Extended Edition): Part Two crucif3x Technology 9 08-31-2009 11:01 PM
Tips For Buying a New Laptop: Extended Edition (Part One) crucif3x Technology 27 07-31-2009 11:55 AM

Laptop Buying Tips

Old 07-05-2009 at 03:08 PM   #45
stressedspec
Account Locked
Program: Economics
Year: Fourth

Liked: 25 Times
its a tad on the heavy side and the specs are mediocre but the price is reasonable, i suggest getting something thats easier to carry, 5,5 lbs max.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-05-2009 at 03:11 PM   #46
stressedspec
Account Locked

If you can increase your budged by a hundred or so i suggest going with the studio 14Z from dell, its gotten good reviews and according to a family member its "first class". Its located here
http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/...top-studio-14z
Old 07-05-2009 at 03:18 PM   #47
kanishka
winning
Program: Software Engineering

Liked: 39 Times
nice laptop...but has only 8 cell battery!!
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:05 PM   #48
stressedspec
Account Locked

and thats a bad thing? The standard for laptops is a 6 cell lithium ion an 8 cell is gonna get you 5-6 hours of battery
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:10 PM   #49
kanishka
winning

no its definitely not a bad thing...its just that i'm looking for a 12cell battery laptop!!
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:16 PM   #50
stressedspec
Account Locked

o are you prepared to carry 7-10 lb laptop, I dont recommend getting a heavy laptop
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:23 PM   #51
kanishka
winning

if i change from 6cell to 12 cell it will become 10lbs?by the way why don't you recommend a heavy laptop?
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:24 PM   #52
kanishka
winning

i mean its obvious tht everyone likes to carry light ones but any other specific reasons from your side?
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:26 PM   #53
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Batteries are the heaviest thing in a laptop. Carrying a heavy laptop sucks, especially when you have to carry books as well.
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:29 PM   #54
kanishka
winning

k thnx....by the way jeremy and gac....which laptops do u two have?do u recommend them?
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:34 PM   #55
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
k thnx....by the way jeremy and gac....which laptops do u two have?do u recommend them?
I have a Dell Vostro 1510. It's a business laptop, I'm not sure if you can buy it... my dad had to buy it through the company he works at. It's a great laptop, it's Core 2 Duo, a non-glossy finish to the screen (No glare, no reflection, no fingerprints). The only thing is that if you pay games the graphics will suck because of the video card. But the game still runs fast because of the processors. It's been about a year and I've had 0 problems, but I do make sure I take care of my laptop. I clean it thoroughly and defrag it often. (Using other applications, none of this crappy windows stuff).

Edit: Also, I got the laptop on sale. I think I paid 600-700 for it?
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:34 PM   #56
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
I actually found it awesome (Toshiba).. I've had it for about 4 years.. and I've only had to get it fixed/upgraded about twice.. But, I just felt like it's time for a change. About overheating.. Yes it can get hot sometimes.. but just don't put it on your lap.. Keep it on a desk, etc. Not really a problem in my opinion.. and you can always get a cooling fan for it. How it's built. It's soo strong.. I've dropped it about .. hmm 2 or times =$ (my bad) and it's still fully functional.. As you can see it went through a lot .. Personally my budget.. is about 1000 .. maybe a bit more.. I have yet the shopping and browsing to do.. but we'll see

Andrew- Haha.. 5 years isn't too bad.. And you sure you didn't kill it yurself XD
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:39 PM   #57
kanishka
winning

my budget is 1500...so thts the only reason why i'm sooooo confused abt which one to buy...coz i want it to last long!!
Old 07-05-2009 at 05:28 PM   #58
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
a 13 inch is the perfect size for any student, my only complaint with my 13 inch notebook was that in psychology we have to watch lectures online and take notes, side by side the windows were just too small, so if you plan on looking at multiple windows at the same time i suggest going with a 15 inch laptop or a 16 inch( Sony FW FTW) but if your just going to be looking at one window at a a time then 13 inch is perfect
I often minimize the typing window so that I can just see the line I'm typing. As long as I know I'm not typing absolute gibberish, I wouldn't really need the rest

That might be helpful to some other people too

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2009 at 05:56 PM   #59
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
Computers are electronics.

Stating the obvious there but we often forget that these pieces of technology are precisely that. That being said, it's possible, Kanishka, to have your laptop last a really long time, or to have it crash despite your best efforts.

Some tips for keeping your computers in good shape:
Avoid too many sudden movements and vibrations.
Some laptops, such as the Macbook Pro have things built into them called Sudden Motion Sensors. When you move your laptop too quickly or expose it to sudden vibrations, the sensor prevents the hard drive from getting damaged.
Other laptops don't have this built in, like the 2006 white Macbooks.
If you're buying used, keep that in mind and ask for the original manuals.
Reading manuals can go a long way to keeping your laptop intact.

Even if your laptop does have that built in, it isn't indestructible.
Jostling it, shaking it too much, dropping it, or not padding it properly can result in vibrations that can damage the hard drive. This is applicable to desktops as well.

Avoid overheating.
Keep your laptop on a flat surface, preferably a desk or as Jeremy said a stand. Something to absorb the heat. You can also get cooling mats to place underneath the laptop itself.

If you find your laptop overheating, place it on a desk for about 10 minutes. The laptop would lose the excess energy to its surroundings, causing it to cool down.

Don't expose your laptop to the elements. Don't place it in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time. Sunlight warms us, and it will warm your notebook too.

Don't try "do it yourself" fix its. For example, when I crashed my uncle's Macbook (ah, see, I speak from experience ) I read I could remove the hard drive, Ziploc it, freeze it, then take it out, slap it and insert it back into the computer. That was information from a legitimate website that devoted itself to Macbook care. However, I later read that the cold and frost can corrupt the hard drive in irreparable ways.

When you fix your computer, pay a bit more at a place like Best Buy or Apple and get it taken care of the right way.

Speaking of BB & A, get extended warranties. When that hard drive just stops working, you'll really wish you had one.

Best Buy is expensive but at the Heartland outlet in Mississauga, their service is unrivalled. They'll backup everything from a dead drive for you; so the only heart attacks you'll have will be over the bill and not over a "0" for the assignment you couldn't hand in.

Remember, accidents happen.
You MUST back up, back up, back up!
If you don't have an external drive (and you can get a 640 GB hard drive for 99 bucks, so don't spend $139.99 for a 240 GB.), print off your work as you go along.
Do not type one letter and print it off; use your discretion and make sure you print on both sides to conserve paper.

You can also save everything on CDs or invest in a USB flash drive.
Backups prolong laptop life because they allow your life to go on as though you had your laptop, even if it dies for some reason.

DON'T DOWNLOAD FILES FROM SOURCES YOU DO NOT KNOW.
Viruses, Trojans etc are one of the best ways to waste the $1000 you invested in this computer.
I know we're music junkies and we love us some Limewire and hey, Piratebay might be sounding pretty good when you want a torrent, but they're also great ways to corrupt your hard drive.

If YOU MUST do this, if there is a torrent you MUST have, consider downloading it to an old computer that serves you no purpose anymore rather than getting brave and downloading it to your laptop.
That way if something goes, it is something you weren't going to use.

But then again, some viruses (I don't know but some might) might be able to infect other computers on your network, so the best thing is to stay away from the illegal stuff.

That being said, get an antivirus software.
Even the most cautious users need one.

Try not to overload your drive, run too many applications at once, or do silly things with it, like holding down the enter key forever on Microsoft Word. I'm told that is another super way to crash the drive. It may not be true, but why take a chance?
And why do you need over 5000 blank pages anyway?

Put your computer off regularly. That way you're avoiding overheating again.

Don't eat and drink at your computer. No, that Burger King Chicken Burger won't overwrite your files, but it will leave food particles wedged between the keys and will affect the keyboard performance over time.

Pets on laptops = no no.
Their fur gets into the ports and into the computer and the fans and openings.

Be very suspicious of clicks and thunks. If you hear this from your hard drive, stop....right there and get it checked. It's an excellent indicator of hard drive failure.

Those are all simple things you can do to keep your laptop living longer.

Use the power adapter when you need to, instead of using up charge cycles on the battery <- another one.

Despite this, laptops can die.
A Macbook can die if you don't handle it properly, but the chances of it doing so aren't super super high.
That being said if you use it with care, an HP could last you a nice long time too.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

kanishka, ytpos all say thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

Article Tools