MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Which is the best team?
Leafs 37 69.81%
Leafs! Just kidding, this one is for Habs. 16 30.19%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leafs A Disapointment :'( Infinity Athletics & Recreation 250 02-04-2010 05:23 PM
Leafs Suck! Leafs Suck! Athletics & Recreation 9 12-11-2009 03:47 AM
Leafs Season Opener!! Infinity General Discussion 40 10-02-2009 10:48 PM
Leafs Pre-Season Talk Infinity General Discussion 44 10-01-2009 12:44 PM
leafs tickets lorend General Discussion 5 02-16-2009 11:49 AM

Leafs vs Habs

Old 07-22-2009 at 12:25 AM   #31
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

I agree with you 100% Joseph with regards to McDonagh: I shrugged off the trade when I heard Higgins for Gomez, but was devastated when they announced that New York would be getting McDonagh as well. The poor guy even started taking french classes at Wisconsin after he was drafted

It's true that the Habs haven't had a pure #1 goal scorer like Kovalchuk, Lecavalier or Gaborik in a long, long time (Kovalev was close, but he only shows up about 60% of the time). I think it's very hard for the Habs management to sign a superstar free agent just because of the media factor in Montreal: if they want one, they'll probably have to trade for one. And to be perfectly fair, the Leafs don't have one either. And no, Jason Blake doesn't count

About Spacek, he could play with Markov in theory since Markov is versatile and play on any side, but I would prefer to see Hamrlik and Markov paired together. Gill will most definitely be a 7th defencemen.

In terms of the Leafs: oh yeahhh, they're definitely a LOT bigger and stronger. I thought Stralman would make the team this year for sure (he showed flashes of brilliance in 2008), but looks like he'll be with the Marlies.

Quote:
PS: You said, "Contrary to most Canadiens fans, I don't hate the Leafs. I actually cheer for them when they're not playing Montreal. But not always though =]" - Is that even possible/allowed?

I get chirped a lot because of that. But living in the GTA, I actually have a soft spot for the Leafs. Believe it or not, I actually like Lucic too.

Last edited by kenneth526 : 07-22-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:57 AM   #32
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

We're going have so much fun with Lucic this year.
Old 07-22-2009 at 10:40 AM   #33
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Go Habs Go!

Being from Montreal (the best city in the world btw), just hearing "Leafs" makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:10 PM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
Go Habs Go!

Being from Montreal (the best city in the world btw), just hearing "Leafs" makes me sick to my stomach.
You must have a hard time in Fall...
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:17 PM   #35
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You must have a hard time in Fall...
Well, I actually live in Hamilton all year round, and it's not so bad, since the Leafs suck so badly I've been laughing the ill feelings away
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:19 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Well, I actually live in Hamilton all year round, and it's not so bad, since the Leafs suck so badly I've been laughing the ill feelings away
Lol, that's not what I meant. I meant in Fall when all the leaves change colour XD (Almost the same pronunciation)

Edit: And if you are near any maple trees it must be even worse XD
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:38 PM   #37
Taunton
Elite Member

LOL I didn't even think about that

You'd think I wouldn't be able to function, since I take a majority of ecology and plant classes!
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:51 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
LOL I didn't even think about that

You'd think I wouldn't be able to function, since I take a majority of ecology and plant classes!
Lol

"Wow, those leaves are amazing!"
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:47 PM   #39
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

I totally agree with everything that Joseph posted. They definitely wasted some money on players that are past their primes. Regarding the Leafs, they are much tougher, and will no doubt be a much tougher team to play against.

GO LEAFS GO! BELIEVE!
~KS
Old 07-22-2009 at 04:29 PM   #40
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Tavares should have been a Leaf. Anyway Leafs are definetly better.
Old 07-22-2009 at 08:16 PM   #41
Ethansaucier

Liked: 0 Times

As a young boy growing up in the outskirts of Montreal, I became a die hard fan of the "Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge". I spent 5 years there when the team suffered in misery and failed to make the playoffs 4 of the 5 years I was there. However, I stayed loyal to my colours, and understand what these leaf fans must be going through not winning a cup in 40+ years...I'm also a Chicago Cubs fan so I shouldn't be talking about a losing drought(100+ years). Plain and simple though, Leafs are shit. I strongly believe that the Habs made some absolutely terrible moves in the off-season(mcdonagh, valedenko or w.e and higgins for gomez?!), and feel that the Leafs did do a better job. That being said, I don't feel like those moves will make that team 1. a playoff contender and 2. a better team than the Habs. Are they going in the right direction, absolutely, but they have a lot of work to do. They are going to be a much tougher team to play against...Baby hands Grabovski won't have to "fight" for them anymore, but there is no way in hell that they have a better team on paper than the Habs this year. If you compare every player on the teams, the Habs are better in every position, and have a better farm system right now. Last year in Montreal was just way too intense and the pressure on those players made em choke. It's no different than what my cubbies had to deal with last year. They were favoured and predicted to win the world series and they were swept the first round...it's a hundred year jinx. I give the leafs another 3 years for them to even become a strong contender in the playoffs. Vive Les Habitants
Old 07-22-2009 at 11:56 PM   #42
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
I find it hilarious that you guys think the Habs made some bad off season moves. Our lineup is awesome for next year:

FORWARDS:
Andrei Kostitsyn (LW) - Scott Gomez (C) - Brian Gionta ( RW)
Mike Cammalleri (LW) - Tomas Plekanec (C) - Guillaume Latendresse (RW)
Sergei Kostitsyn (LW) - Maxim Lapierre (C) - Gregory Stewart (RW)
Max Pacioretty (LW) - Kyle Chipchura (C) - Georges Laraque (RW)

DEFENSE:
Andrei Markov (LD) - Ryan O'Byrne (RD)
Roman Hamrlik (RD) - Jaroslav Spacek (LD)
Hal Gill (LD) - Josh Gorges (RD)

WE OWN THE LEAFS AHAHA
This is my projected 09/10 Leafs lineup:

Forwards

Ponikarovsky-Grabovski-Kulemin
Blake-Bozak*-Tlusty*
Mitchell-Wallin-Hagman
Orr-Stuart-Mayers

Defencemen

Beauchemin-Kaberle
Schenn-Komisarek
White-Exelby

Goalies

Toskala
Gustavsson

*If either Bozak or Tlusty show they aren’t NHL ready, Stajan and Stempniak can take their spots.

I think we have an awesome line up as well, and I’m sure many other teams are going underestimate us again. As I stated in my previous posts, our blue line is nearly invincible and best of all, we're going be a tough team to play against. In terms of our goaltending, Toskala should be much better this year as he won’t be playing with an injury, and as stated, we have solid defencemen. I’m not sold on Gustavsson just yet. Hopefully, he doesn’t end up being another Brunnstrom.

I truly think we’re going be a playoff team this year. However, if the Leafs want to become a serious cup contender, we need to upgrade our forwards, which I’m sure is Burke’s goal for next off season. K-O-V-A-L-C-H-U-K anyone?!

By the way, I like the poll results so far :p! GO LEAFS GO!

-Joseph

Go Leafs Go, Jake, Kevin S like this.
Old 07-23-2009 at 05:35 PM   #43
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

I agree with you Joseph. I'm not sold on Gustavsson just yet either.

However, Toskola does have competition this year for the #1 spot unlike last year when we had Curtis Joseph.
Old 07-23-2009 at 09:01 PM   #44
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

The leafs need a captain as well. I hope they decide a captain this year!
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:37 PM   #45
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I agree with you Joseph. I'm not sold on Gustavsson just yet either.

However, Toskola does have competition this year for the #1 spot unlike last year when we had Curtis Joseph.
Hey Jake,

Yeah, I’m not totally sold on Gustavsson just yet – not until he begins playing in the NHL. However, I’ve watched almost every game that Gustavsson has appeared in and he has impressed me a lot. I'd say that he is better than Gerber was when he played in Farjestad. Dealing with the pressure will be no problem for Gustavsson. The Farjestad fans and the Toronto fans are similar in that way that they have high expectations.

If Gustavsson turns out to be an awesome goaltender, picking up a young talent like Gustavsson as a free-agent would be by far the best move by a Leafs GM since Kaberle was drafted in a late round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
The leafs need a captain as well. I hope they decide a captain this year!
Hey Kevin,

In a press conference, Burke and Wilson mentioned that they’ll probably go with three rotating alternative captains like last season until they can find a player that deserves to become the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. After all, it’s a great honour to become the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. They can’t just patch a ‘C’ on a jersey for the sake of naming a captain. You can check out the press conference here:

http://mapleleafs.nhl.tv/team/consol...799 &id=45192

On the right side, there will be a list of press conferences. Select “Burke/Wilson Talk Captain Issue”

-Joseph

Go Leafs Go, Jake like this.