MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roommate discussion nikki12 Mary Keyes Forum 1 07-19-2010 08:19 PM
Guitar Discussion VastHorizon General Discussion 51 10-02-2009 06:10 PM
MacPass 2009 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 07-14-2009 12:16 PM
MacPass 2008 Discussion tee33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 83 06-25-2009 12:00 AM
New Course Discussion Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-12-2007 05:46 PM

MACPASS 2009 Discussion

Old 07-06-2009 at 10:55 PM   #166
madBiologist

Liked: 12 Times

Thanks That's pretty much what I figured, but a little social awkwardness is worth saving $125 if you ask me
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:58 PM   #167
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madBiologist View Post
Thanks That's pretty much what I figured, but a little social awkwardness is worth saving $125 if you ask me
All my friends were pre-Macpass and people who I've met through other people/through clubs, etc.

You'll be fine without one
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:58 PM   #168
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Everyone is different. Some people won't put a price on awkwardness. Plus, Welcome Week is a great time to break that shell of shyness (If the person is a shy one). Everyone is new and there are generally no big groups of friends so you can easily go up to people one on one and talk to them.
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:59 PM   #169
goldfish101

Liked: 19 Times

Sorry for the questions.. but I will be out of town from Sept 5th-8th.. will I miss anything big during welcome week?(such as clubfest, faculty day, etc.)
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:01 PM   #170
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish101 View Post
Sorry for the questions.. but I will be out of town from Sept 5th-8th.. will I miss anything big during welcome week?(such as clubfest, faculty day, etc.)
The exact schedule isn't out yet so it's hard to tell what you will miss. Generally the first day should be residence activities.
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:05 PM   #171
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

When the schedule comes out, it would be awesome to post it .. Will it come in the mail.. or will it be posted online?
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:07 PM   #172
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
When the schedule comes out, it would be awesome to post it .. Will it come in the mail.. or will it be posted online?
It will be online for sure. Not sure if it will come in the mail. McMaster seems to be trying to go greener, but last year it came in the mail so it may come in the mail this year as well.

Yes, we will have to post the schedule when it becomes available as well as adding the events to the calendar.
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:11 PM   #173
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Caveat to this message: I'm biased. I was a former Faculty Welcome Week planner and am still involved with the planning of Welcome Week.

This year, it's a fairly well-known fact that the concerts will require you to have a MacPass and given the direction over the past few years with the artists that Campus Events have booked, this year's bands will probably cost you around $70-$80 alone if you see them at a festival especially in a small setting like Faculty Hallow with only 2000 other people. I absolutely loved seeing Sam Roberts/Bedouin Soundclash/Metric/K-os/Alexisonfire over the past few years without having to deal with jackasses at huge festivals like V-Fest or Edgefest.

If you're not into Canadian alt-rock/hip-hop, then there's also the swag/Faculty activites you'll be missing out on. I know I met a whole bunch of people at my Faculty Day and Night and Faculty Planners are being told this year to make sure that only those with MacPass bracelets will be allowed onto buses/to participate in Faculty Day. You'll still be able to participate in intra-residence events, however, after speaking to a couple of my friends who didn't buy a MacPass when I was in first year, they felt left out of the overwhelming residence/faculty spirit that builds up throughout the week.

The best way to look at the MacPass is that regardless of the swag, the concerts, the Faculty events, the block party and whatever else happens, you're buying an experience that will provide you some memories that you'll look back on with a smile.

Just my two cents!
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:16 PM   #174
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It will be online for sure. Not sure if it will come in the mail. McMaster seems to be trying to go greener, but last year it came in the mail so it may come in the mail this year as well.

Yes, we will have to post the schedule when it becomes available as well as adding the events to the calendar.
I actually have the schedule on me right now, however, we're still finalizing some changes that differ from previous Welcome Weeks.

As for the schedule from September 5-8, you'll be missing out on:
-Move-in (probably more fun for Reps than first years!)
-various Residence events/SOCS events
-MacConnector
-the Football game on Monday
-Monday Night Social (residences and SOCS)
-Faculty Day
-the first concert on Tuesday night

The biggest change from previous years is the moving of Bedraces from Monday afternoon to Sunday as the last event of Welcome Week. The OUA put their foot down and said that the home opener for McMaster will be on September 7 in the afternoon. So yeah, that should explain that change.

goldfish101, jhan523 all say thanks to casey.park for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:17 PM   #175
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

Sounds good. I think it would be more convenient online anyway.. and green-er
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:18 PM   #176
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
I actually have the schedule on me right now, however, we're still finalizing some changes that differ from previous Welcome Weeks.

As for the schedule from September 5-8, you'll be missing out on:
-Move-in (probably more fun for Reps than first years!)
-various Residence events/SOCS events
-MacConnector
-the Football game on Monday
-Monday Night Social (residences and SOCS)
-Faculty Day
-the first concert on Tuesday night

The biggest change from previous years is the moving of Bedraces from Monday afternoon to Sunday as the last event of Welcome Week. The OUA put their foot down and said that the home opener for McMaster will be on September 7 in the afternoon. So yeah, that should explain that change.
Thanks a lot casey! Sounds awesome! And it would be great to let us know whent he schedule is out Thanks!
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:19 PM   #177
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Faculty day was so much fun haha.
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:19 PM   #178
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Faculty day was so much fun haha.
I agree, I had a blast on faculty day ^-^
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:22 PM   #179
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Casey, I really wouldn't count the outdoor concerts in with the price of the Macpass as people have definitely gotten in without one. A friend from UTM went to Metric last year while I was at V-Fest (free tickets ftw). Most of the bands that've played at Mac's WW you can see them for about $25 at a smaller, more intimate venue than faculty hollow or the gym. I saw Tokyo Police Club (I think they headlined one year...) for $8 at the Mod Club.
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:22 PM   #180
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Casey, I really wouldn't count the outdoor concerts in with the price of the Macpass as people have definitely gotten in without one. A friend from UTM went to Metric last year while I was at V-Fest (free tickets ftw). Most of the bands that've played at Mac's WW you can see them for about $25 at a smaller, more intimate venue than faculty hollow or the gym. I saw Tokyo Police Club (I think they headlined one year...) for $8 at the Mod Club.
They are beefing up security this year to prevent non-macpassers from attending.