MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roommate discussion nikki12 Mary Keyes Forum 1 07-19-2010 08:19 PM
Guitar Discussion VastHorizon General Discussion 51 10-02-2009 06:10 PM
MacPass 2009 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 07-14-2009 12:16 PM
MacPass 2008 Discussion tee33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 83 06-25-2009 12:00 AM
New Course Discussion Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-12-2007 05:46 PM

MACPASS 2009 Discussion

Old 07-07-2009 at 11:03 AM   #211
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I mostly found Tokyo Police Club just really generic. Nothing special about them at all.
Yeah, that's true. But I thought they were ok, not bad.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:22 PM   #212
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Do Not Buy A Mac Pass.
My Friend Did Not Buy One And He Participated In Almost Every Activity
He Just Did Not Get The Freebies Like The T-shirts And What Not From His Faculty
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:22 PM   #213
01simplicity

Liked: 0 Times

So.. if you don't have a macpass, you can't participate in any of the welcome week activities? I'm confused with this, like at the events, do they check if you have a macpass and let you in?
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:28 PM   #214
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

According to others, checking macpasses and secuirty wasn't too tight last year, but they're changing that this year, and it's expected to be tighter in terms of checking macpasses for entry.

lorend says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:32 PM   #215
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
According to others, checking macpasses and secuirty wasn't too tight last year, but they're changing that this year, and it's expected to be tighter in terms of checking macpasses for entry.
Maybe that's just something they say every year to try and make people buy the MacPasses, lol.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:34 PM   #216
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Maybe that's just something they say every year to try and make people buy the MacPasses, lol.
It's definitely possible . I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's true though =P. Otherwise, it would be a total waste of $120 :( -exaggerating but Oh well =P
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:35 PM   #217
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Could be. Although it would definitely suck to be that one guy who didn't buy it because he thought security would be lax, and then not be able to get into anything.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:38 PM   #218
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Could be. Although it would definitely suck to be that one guy who didn't buy it because he thought security would be lax, and then not be able to get into anything.
Definitely. And ignoring the price, I'd rather be safe than sorry, that's for sure.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:39 PM   #219
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
lol its true they said that last year.

but still, honestly who cares... your already spending a ton of money to go to the school, buying a macpass shouldnt be out of your way...

everyone buys one, i am telling you this. look at pictures from past welcome weeks and see how many people are in their rez/faculty shirts as compared to not...

the VAST amount of people in matching colours all purchased a mac pass.

plus you'll want your rez shirt and stuff, good memoribilia (spelling? lol)

lorend likes this.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:45 PM   #220
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post

but still, honestly who cares... your already spending a ton of money to go to the school, buying a macpass shouldnt be out of your way...

everyone buys one, i am telling you this. look at pictures from past welcome weeks and see how many people are in their rez/faculty shirts as compared to not...

Haha spelling almost correct -> memorAbilia
Anywayyyyy..
I definitely agree, you're already spending $13k +, that $120 won't make a difference whatsoever.
And I definitely wouldn't want to be left out like that
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:47 PM   #221
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
The Faculty-Wide Welcome Week Planner (FWWWP) has stated on another thread on MI that security will not be as lax as it was last year. We were told as reps last year that things were going to be much different in following years.

The faculties/residences/SOCS/Campus Events all lose money when people don't buy the MacPass and participate in events. This can mean that Welcome Week for the following year won't be as good. And you don't want to be a rep hearing all your students complain....

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-10-2009 at 03:51 PM   #222
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
We were told as reps last year that things were going to be much different in following years.
So are we going to see military class helicopters overhead and armed guards standing around during this year's welcome week?

lorend, PTGregD, xxsumz like this.
Old 07-10-2009 at 06:44 PM   #223
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post

you can always buy a mac pass later on when your there ive seen ppl do that but just saying if u dont want to waste your money
i felt like it wasnt THAT worth it for the Mac pass, like all we really got were some clothes from our faculty, hats, and waterbottles, highlighters, pencils...
I just dint think my 75$ was justified, and the events were only okay

OH and they PROMISED US FREE BREAKFAST AND LUNCH and it was such a rip because they gave us so little and we were never full and still hungry
Old 07-10-2009 at 06:58 PM   #224
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Hey guys,

A lot of people are looking and talking about the tangible value of MacPasses. Let me explain why they cost as much as they do, and why they in fact provide lots of intrinsic value.

First off, Welcome Week is put on by Residence Life, Faculty societies, and the MSU, with support work done by the First Year Experience Office. These societies receive some funding from the University, but the brunt of the operating costs of Welcome Week are provided by the MacPass.

Basically, the advertising for MacPasses talks about how you get into lots of different events and what not, but thats not entirely accurate. To be completely honest, there are ways to get into most (not all) events without the MacPass, simply because nobody really wants to exclude anyone during Welcome Week.

The MacPass pays for everything from MSU's Tuesday and Saturday concerts, every activity done in residence, including everything in the swag bags, the Carnival, Monday night social, etc.

I have seen/helped construct the Welcome Week budgets for different groups, and can assure everyone that every cent of the MacPasses are used efficiently.

I personally feel as if the MacPass is a great thing because you are helping make your week happen well. If a person was to opt out of getting a MacPass, they would essentially be saying "no, I don't really care about W.W. and want to sit on the side grumpy."

--

Also, us upper year reps also pay a very similar thing to a MacPass. Most rep teams have a "suit fee" which goes to pay for the rep suits, and some food and training for reps. Basically, it is a collaborative effort from everyone to try to orient first year students so that they have the best time possible at Mac.

It's not done as any sort of initiatory thing, but we all understand the time and commitment that goes into Welcome Week, and so we aspire to give back in a manner that we have been given to in our first years.
Old 07-10-2009 at 07:14 PM   #225
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
"no, I don't really care about W.W. and want to sit on the side grumpy."
You're always grumpy. Especially when you're sleep deprived.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement