Old 03-05-2011 at 10:36 PM   #1
twinsora
Program: Political Science
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 3 Times
How is McMasters Tennis?
Hey guys!

I'm a prospective student coming to Mac next year, and I already got accepted into the Humanities I program.

I was just wondering, how the tennis scene is at McMasters?

Note: I do play competitively, so I was just inquiring.

Ie: How many courts? Teams? Practices? Etc.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Add negative rating0Add positive rank
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:46 PM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer
Program: Chemical Biology
Residence: SOCS (formerly Bates)

Liked: 447 Times
No dedicated outdoor courts on campus as of 2005, they double as basketball courts and are in rough shape.

Indoor Court(s) in the athletic center in late fall and winter

We do have both Men's and Women's tennis teams (where they practice is a mystery to me..)

In short, the tennis scene here kind of sucks, but still exists.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-05-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2011 at 11:02 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Year: Other

Liked: 36 Times
There are 2 outdoor courts however they're also used as basketball courts... (Between T28 and T29) they're not in great shape.
And the Tennis teams take a bus to another court for their practices.

Old 03-05-2011 at 11:36 PM   #4
Chandlerowns
Program: Health Sciences

Liked: 67 Times
Tennis here is completely awful. Me and my friend legitimately formed conspiracy theories about how much McMaster wants to get rid of tennis. So basically there is 1 outdoor court, in the middle of a basketball court. The net is in horrible shape and the court is old as hell. This is usable barely ever during the school year because of snow and rain, so you have like 2 months tops with these courts. When they are usable, have fun waiting a couple of hours for everyone to finish, as there is 1 court for the whole campus. And the people using the courts are just the worst, the kind of people who see you waiting but still play for a solid 2-3 hours. The funny thing is the parking lot adjacent to the "tennis court" has the groundwork of a previous tennis court, but McMaster must have decided to turn it into another parking lot, in what I assume is an attempt to eliminate the sport from the University. Now I'll turn my rant to the indoor 'tennis court' used during the winter months. So basically there is again 1 court, in which you need to sign up for using a couple of weeks in advance. Why you ask? because you can only use it from 7-10am on MONDAY, I'm dead serious, this is the only time they set up the court. So you have the choice of getting up at 6am on Monday, or not to play tennis, since I'm not some sort of mega workout nut I normally choose the latter. And that is how McMaster has destroyed the enjoyment of me playing my favorite sport.

xxsumz says thanks to Chandlerowns for this post.

xxsumz likes this.
Old 03-05-2011 at 11:40 PM   #5
twinsora

Yeesh. Well, aside from the team, is there any form of a tennis club? And that is really disheartening to hear, I visited during Fall Preview, and it felt like a great place to be.
Old 03-05-2011 at 11:46 PM   #6
Chandlerowns
Program: Health Sciences

Liked: 67 Times
Ah now I feel kind of bad, I've just been kinda peeved at McMaster about the whole tennis thing. It's still an awesome university, and that might be my only real complaint. And I am also not on the tennis team, so they might have access to facilities I don't even know about. I hope I didn't sway you from not coming to Mac.
Old 03-05-2011 at 11:52 PM   #7
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;
Year: Other

Liked: 333 Times
Tennis team practices at a club 20mins away

Yay, a banner break...Thanks to our sponsors we're able to keep our server going!

Old 03-05-2011 at 11:57 PM   #8
twinsora

Is this club an outdoor, or an indoor club?
Old 03-08-2011 at 01:21 PM   #9
Sammcmaster
Staff - McMaster Athletics & Recreation
Faculty: Arts & Science

Liked: 10 Times
I'd suggest contacting Theresa Burns, she is the administrator for the Tennis team to get the correct answers for the Tennis. Here email is [email protected]
Old 03-08-2011 at 01:39 PM   #10
maclover
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Year: Third

Liked: 55 Times
I tried out in fall 2010 and the coach was like this year there's only a couple of spots to no spots open in the team. He said you will have better luck next year as many of the current players will graduate by then. which is frankly bull****.

also,
- the courts where the tryouts were held is outdoor
- its 20 mins away from mac by bus
- usually the team practices 4-5 times a week or something like that

so good luck dealing with all those cons about McMaster tennis. But thats my opinion.
Old 04-21-2011 at 03:28 PM   #11
harris3
Year: Fourth

Liked: 1 Time
your not playing tennis if tyou come here, neither the outdoor or indoor courts are worthwhile
Old 04-21-2011 at 03:35 PM   #12
Sintos
Program: Honours Life Science

Liked: 85 Times
LOL the only outdoor court we have is now broken, the post literally rusted beyond repair and snapped off... its held together by the gate and a bench.
Old 04-21-2011 at 03:38 PM   #13
harris3

outdoor court:
-double as basketball courts
-low spot along one of the baselines collects sand and sediment, also potholes along the same baseline, its just old pavement, no tennis surface, all filthy and torn up
-basketball nets are in these massive concrete blocks right in the doubles alley, sometimes your shots hit it, sometimes you find yourself running right for it (very dangerous courts to play on)
-no tie down for the middle of the net, usually at least one netpost is in sideways
-cant see the lines at all on the opposite side of the court
-i play tennis until nov and start again in march in my hometown (we even make our own net and netposts when the town takes theirs down), wouldnt even bother playing here in the summer

indoor court:
-im a 5.0 and i can barely rally on it due to the speed of the court
-lines for tennis, basketball, volleyball, badminton you name it, you cant see the tennis lines
-no tiedown so the net is a fence
-hardly ever open as a tennis court
-they let people book doubles if you have singles booked (which isnt even a sport imo)

so ya, i dont play any tennis at all when im here, its not even worth it
and like others said, there arent any courts within walking distance

dont even get me started on the hockey here
Old 04-21-2011 at 03:41 PM   #14
harris3

and also, our team gets filled in by everyone other than uoit which has like 3000 students total, and its obvious why
they get filled like 6-2, 6-1 across the board, both mens and womens
Old 04-21-2011 at 03:43 PM   #15
ytpos
too poor to change this
Program: Biology and Psychology

Liked: 15 Times
There's decent courts at Victoria Park. It's outdoors and you can probably get to it by bus (maybe the 10 and the walk from Main to King - they're parallel) It's near Dundurn and King.

If you're willing to make the trek (maybe like half an hour by bus), there's a club (Rosedale) at Gage Park. I believe if you take the 10, you can get there without transferring (according to google maps...). I've never taken the bus there, though, so be wary of my directions, lol. Rosedale has both indoor and outdoor courts. I think if there's ever any competitions in Hamilton, they're held there. It's probably the best place to play for people who are serious about tennis (like competitively and stuff). I think they have tournaments, but I haven't been there in ages so don't take my word for it.

Not sure about Victoria Park (which MIGHT be free), but Rosedale charges you a fee to play unless you buy a membership.

Last edited by ytpos : 04-21-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community!
Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!
Closed Thread