MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mugsi/solar help commie21 Academics 0 06-30-2011 12:29 AM
Mugsi/solar ammowasted Academics 4 06-13-2011 03:24 AM
Want to know what's happening with MUGSI/SOLAR? Come hither. huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 41 02-01-2011 06:22 PM
Why is everyone on MUGSI/Solar? sweetrachel First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-31-2009 07:43 PM
MUGSI and SOLAR won't let me on! ND_ftw First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 08-13-2009 11:03 AM

MUGSI/SOLAR Rage

Old 06-29-2010 at 01:46 AM   #136
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh2in View Post
im dropping McMaster, choosin UTM so i dont miss their course selection,

**** this
Sweet. One less person to worry about stealing my courses.
Old 06-29-2010 at 04:37 AM   #137
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

@Jaff, pretty much yes. You WILL be able to get into Polisci eventually, I am assuming you aren't in SocSci currently since there course selection actually opens Wednesday night. Hence all the PoliSci seats are being held for them and will be released after teh 30th. Also one important note is that people can change their courses till first week of classes hence sooner or later you WILL find a time where the courses you want(except for the REALLY popular ones like French) are open for you. August usually is a good time for that.

ALSO To Everyone! I'm assuming all of the upper year students got the mass email recently about the University budget? If you look closely the email itself claims that $4.5 Million has been assigned towards IT Infrastructure development and overhaul. Hence it is entirely possible that a good degree of it will be invested into Student records and indirectly SOLAR? I'll try and find out more details from the higher ups and post ASAP.

The last line is important because I also noticed this line in the budget: "The Registrar is currently engaged in a business process review to identify improvements that can be made which do not depend on an upgraded student information system." In other words they are considering delaying the long needed upgrades to Student Information System.

Also an interesting find was: "The University’s current state of technology is severely lacking on a number of fronts, with McMaster being the last(O_o?) of the G13 to undertake a review of its critical systems that support students, faculty and researchers."

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 06-29-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2010 at 08:26 AM   #138
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
@Jaff, pretty much yes. You WILL be able to get into Polisci eventually, I am assuming you aren't in SocSci currently since there course selection actually opens Wednesday night. Hence all the PoliSci seats are being held for them and will be released after teh 30th. Also one important note is that people can change their courses till first week of classes hence sooner or later you WILL find a time where the courses you want(except for the REALLY popular ones like French) are open for you. August usually is a good time for that.

ALSO To Everyone! I'm assuming all of the upper year students got the mass email recently about the University budget? If you look closely the email itself claims that $4.5 Million has been assigned towards IT Infrastructure development and overhaul. Hence it is entirely possible that a good degree of it will be invested into Student records and indirectly SOLAR? I'll try and find out more details from the higher ups and post ASAP.

The last line is important because I also noticed this line in the budget: "The Registrar is currently engaged in a business process review to identify improvements that can be made which do not depend on an upgraded student information system." In other words they are considering delaying the long needed upgrades to Student Information System.

Also an interesting find was: "The University’s current state of technology is severely lacking on a number of fronts, with McMaster being the last(O_o?) of the G13 to undertake a review of its critical systems that support students, faculty and researchers."
I didn't get that e-mail, anyone else?
Old 06-29-2010 at 08:30 AM   #139
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I didn't get that email either.
Old 06-29-2010 at 03:56 PM   #140
lucox

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
And one of those spots is taken up for ELM.
And another is when a faculty member or administrative staff member logs on just to make sure everything is working right.
I really enjoyed this.

goodnews.inc says thanks to lucox for this post.
Old 06-29-2010 at 04:07 PM   #141
anumeet

can I post some love for solar/mugsi? I used it for the VERY first time this morning & it worked perfectly you just need to be patient
Old 06-29-2010 at 04:11 PM   #142
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumeet View Post
can I post some love for solar/mugsi?
Unacceptable.
Old 06-29-2010 at 04:17 PM   #143
anumeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Unacceptable.
thanks, way to be accepting
Old 06-29-2010 at 04:27 PM   #144
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I didn't get that e-mail, anyone else?
Here is what the info bars said:

To: 'all Faculty and Staff' ([email protected])

And it was signed off by Peter George and The Provost. Here is the letter:

Quote:

We are pleased to be able to provide a financial update to the McMaster community.

For those who are interested in additional information, the full budget can be found at:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/pdf/consbud10.pdf

The budget summary can be found at:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/pdf/2010-... une-2010.pdf

2009/10 Budget

The budget numbers for 2009/10 are being finalized. However, it is clear that the impact from higher than expected provincial funding and increased tuition and other revenue combined with reduced spending significantly strengthened the University’s year-end position. The projected Operating Fund is balanced before one-time expenses. These one-time costs are covered by existing reserve funds within the budget envelopes.

This positive budget position would not have been possible without the difficult decisions made by budget managers to lower costs which in a number of areas mean significant reorganization and staffing reductions.

2010/11 Budget

At June’s Board of Governors’ meeting, the Board approved the 2010/11 Consolidated Budget. Operating expenses are expected to increase by $18 million due almost entirely to growth in the cost of compensation and benefits. Total sources of funding are expected to increase by about $22 million due primarily to growth in tuition revenue and provincial funding.

The 2010/11 budget is balanced, after the University covers a significant number of one-time costs by drawing down budget envelope reserve funds. Although these funds allow key projects to move forward, the funds are being depleted over time. Over reliance will put at risk the University’s flexibility and ability to respond to opportunities as they arise.

The year 2010/11 will see an investment of $4.5 million to begin implementation of the University’s Technology strategy. McMaster’s technology systems are sorely out of date and this level of investment will be needed over the next several years.

While great progress has been made in the University’s financial planning, risks continue to exist. Government funding is not assured. Pension and post-retirement benefit issues continue to add significant costs to the operating budget. Without relief from future pension solvency payments, additional expenses of between $27 and $35 million will need to be funded in the budget each year beginning in 2011/12. The provincial compensation restraint act will bring some budget benefits over time, but continuing to manage compensation across all employee groups will be critical to McMaster’s ability to continue to deliver on its core teaching and research missions.

Our thanks to the Budget Committee and the many others who have worked so diligently over the past year to keep our budget decisions focused on our strategic goals. The budget process is complicated and is not always easy to understand. We continue to encourage all members of the McMaster community to stay informed about our financial position.

Together we have built a great university and it is only by working together that we will be able to continue to strengthen McMaster.

Yours sincerely,

Peter George
Ilene Busch-Vishniac

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

jhan523 says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 06-29-2010 at 05:06 PM   #145
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

How many people here are faculty or staff. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 06-29-2010 at 07:30 PM   #146
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumeet View Post
thanks, way to be accepting
Im pretty accepting of most things. But I will not accept people speaking well of SOLAR.
Old 06-29-2010 at 07:52 PM   #147
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Im pretty accepting of most things. But I will not accept people speaking well of SOLAR.
LOL?

No, you're not.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 06-29-2010 at 07:55 PM   #148
reeves
Jedi IRL

dammit
Old 06-30-2010 at 10:35 AM   #149
Jaff24

Liked: 11 Times

Hey i have a question about the payment agreement:

If OSAP is able to cover most of the fees but not all of them, do i still choose osap as an option and then pay the difference out of my pocket? or do I have to choose osap and then something else?
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:18 PM   #150
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff24 View Post
Hey i have a question about the payment agreement:

If OSAP is able to cover most of the fees but not all of them, do i still choose osap as an option and then pay the difference out of my pocket? or do I have to choose osap and then something else?
Only 60% of your OSAP will go towards your Tuition in September. You will have to pay the difference before then (You'll know how much exactly because they automatically deduct it from what you have to pay). If you pay in full then you pay your tuition minus 60% OSAP and you get the 40% OSAP in your pocket in January.