MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mugsi/solar help commie21 Academics 0 06-30-2011 12:29 AM
Mugsi/solar ammowasted Academics 4 06-13-2011 03:24 AM
Want to know what's happening with MUGSI/SOLAR? Come hither. huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 41 02-01-2011 06:22 PM
Why is everyone on MUGSI/Solar? sweetrachel First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-31-2009 07:43 PM
MUGSI and SOLAR won't let me on! ND_ftw First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 08-13-2009 11:03 AM

MUGSI/SOLAR Rage

Old 06-30-2010 at 01:41 PM   #151
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Yeah, my expected fees for next year are in the range of 14.5 K. And I have no idea how I'm going to magically "come up with this difference". I also don't want a prolonged payment plan because I don't budget for interest (hence payment in full.). To the Student Accounts and Cashiers office next week!

This year wasn't so bad, wrt SOLAR. I had an exam that day so I slept from 7:30 PM till around 6:30 PM the next morning. I woke up at 2 AM to register but SOLAR was crashing so I went back to bed and registered at either 4 AM or 6 AM. I can't recollect.

It was a pain because Chem Bio's were locked out of 5 mandatory courses but not as bad as before. The one elective I wanted was free at that time, (Bio 2A03) so I'd say this year was decent. I'm very afraid for next year.

Wrt. electives, I tend to take the courses I really want to take or have to take but that I'll be locked out of, in summer.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-30-2010 at 01:45 PM   #152
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I actually picked my classes on SOLAR the other day and had no problem at all! I got all the classes I wanted and even had a choice between the electives I really wanted and was torn between taking... Everyone on here made it seem like it was such a horrible process! It wasn't bad at all... Hopefully when tutorials are scheduled it's just as easy
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:44 PM   #153
WannabeNurse

Liked: 0 Times

I've heard from my coworkers that go to Mac that Mugsi and Solar are mood-ruiners....I found out for myself a few days ago when I got bounced out of Mugsi and I had only been on for 10 minutes! Then I waited about an hour to get back in to try, once again, to register for courses.

Glad that I finally found out here why I can't pick sections. Thanks Steph! I've been hunting for this info for 3 days now! I read on some other thread that first-year nursing students have a fixed schedule...My academic advisor said the same thing, yet couldnt explain why there are choices listed (for cores, labs and tutorials) for my site (Mohawk) for a number of couses on the master course timetable. Any upper-year nursing students who can explain this please? Thanks guys! :-)
Old 06-30-2010 at 04:40 PM   #154
madBiologist

Liked: 12 Times

I only have 9 f*cking units confirmed (Life Sci II)... My 7 day period is over, but ALL the other classes were full by the time my shitty comp let me on.

What the hell am I supposed to do now? Is stuff just going to magically open in July/August? All the people who are supposed to help you with that just say "Try SOLAR again."

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:23 PM   #155
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

You should have registered for anything to get it up to 30 units, because now your payment agreement and registration are going to be messed up. I'm not sure if it will let you fully register, which means you won't be able to get onto SOLAR until even later.

And yes, if you've emailed all the departments and they won't give you a spot, then you have to just keep checking. Things WILL "just magically open". They've been reserving spots for people who need the courses for their degree. After a certain point (which is in August I think? Or maybe July) they stop reserving seats and make them all available. Then, after that, if a course says 'full', then it's actually just full.
Old 07-01-2010 at 06:31 PM   #156
khadijamalik

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
oh ffs, i finally skldfnsldkfsd got on.

IT MAKES ME SO MAD, LOL.
SUCH A STUPID SYSTEM.

2 hours later (oh, and did I mention I stayed up all night. rofl)

I stayed up till 3.30am as well :(

Funny thing....at 12.15am I had chosen my most important courses and 12.30am Solar shuts off on me, with a stupid message...that the system has some problem..talk about problem, SOLAR AND MUGSI are PROBLEMS!! UGHH

I signed up for my courses finally at 3am but unfortunately my two compulsory courses for 2nd year were full, and 2 electives were full....

Stupid Mugsi...

In some universities, they have a SYSTEM that automatically put students in the courses that they need to stay in their program...why can't mac do that?? isn't mac one of the best universities
Old 07-01-2010 at 07:03 PM   #157
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadijamalik View Post

In some universities, they have a SYSTEM that automatically put students in the courses that they need to stay in their program...why can't mac do that?? isn't mac one of the best universities
It's not That simple, maybe for first year students. But in upper years if someone has a second year compulsory course that they need to take to graduate they might choose to delay it till 4th year.

For example I'm going to be taking my 2nd PoliSci Theory course in 4th year because this year I chose to take another more interesting PoliSci elective for the same timeslot!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-02-2010 at 06:47 PM   #158
tinyvessel

Hi everyone,
I'm in Humanities I and began selecting September 2010 courses on Tuesday with SOLAR, and confirmed the payment agreement, etc. Then, I tried to pick classes for the May 2010 session, and was given this message:
"You have not been set up with any programme to register in. Please contact your Faculty or Programme Office if you think you should be able to register for this session. "

What does this message mean? I emailed the Faculty office and have not received an email yet, as I am sure they are VERY busy. But I don't want to wait much longer to pick classes and not get the ones I want.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2010 at 07:23 PM   #159
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

The May 2010 session is the summer school session which won't be accessible to you if you're a first year. If you've done the Sept 2010 session, you're good to go for next year.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-02-2010 at 08:18 PM   #160
tinyvessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
The May 2010 session is the summer school session which won't be accessible to you if you're a first year. If you've done the Sept 2010 session, you're good to go for next year.
Oh man, sorry! Thanks for the help!
Old 07-04-2010 at 12:21 AM   #161
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Okay even though i have a little mugsi/solar hate i have a question for you guys.

Right now chose religion 1b06 for my elective and im in engineering. Its offered from 7-9 and tutorial from 9-10. I was thinking of taking econ 1b03 and science 1e03 instead . What i want to know is in august when they give you your timetable, if i change my courses then, will the computer give me a new conflict free timetable for will i have to do it ?
Old 07-04-2010 at 12:31 AM   #162
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Okay even though i have a little mugsi/solar hate i have a question for you guys.

Right now chose religion 1b06 for my elective and im in engineering. Its offered from 7-9 and tutorial from 9-10. I was thinking of taking econ 1b03 and science 1e03 instead . What i want to know is in august when they give you your timetable, if i change my courses then, will the computer give me a new conflict free timetable for will i have to do it ?
Depends on if the "conflict free" time slots are going to be full or not. If they are full, Solar's conflict indicator will prevent you from clicking the "apply changes" or whatever button.

MacPack says thanks to Serene for this post.
Old 07-04-2010 at 12:44 AM   #163
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Depends on if the "conflict free" time slots are going to be full or not. If they are full, Solar's conflict indicator will prevent you from clicking the "apply changes" or whatever button.

oh okay. I already made my mock timetable trying to make a new one with these two courses is a headache and a half. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2010 at 10:12 AM   #164
sonbonbon

mugsi can go die
Old 09-11-2010 at 10:24 AM   #165
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonbonbon View Post
mugsi can go die
fully agree with you on that one!!