MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Phone messages psps First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-17-2010 10:02 PM
Les Prince Phone OneL Les Prince Forum 6 09-01-2010 08:47 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Which Phone? bilalbagha General Discussion 60 08-26-2009 03:20 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

I Need a Phone!

Old 01-13-2011 at 10:24 PM   #61
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln3 View Post
I know what you mean. When I had my iPhones, I always keep it low as possible. Even with my Blackberry I do the same.

I was just opening up a possibility that he might have a defective battery and didn't know it.
He said 6 hours, that's too good to be defective (in my opinion anyway).
Old 01-13-2011 at 10:29 PM   #62
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
He said 6 hours, that's too good to be defective (in my opinion anyway).
While I agree if you say don't trust everything on Wiki. This shows that the original 3G should be able to do max 30 hours on audio.

6 hours on audio is way too low.

Then again, personal usage will affect this number.
Old 01-13-2011 at 10:32 PM   #63
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln3 View Post
While I agree if you say don't trust everything on Wiki. This shows that the original 3G should be able to do max 30 hours on audio.

6 hours on audio is way too low.

Then again, personal usage will affect this number.
Actually, I'm not sure whats up with it, the battery life seemed to be very bad before, but now its better.. I only bring it to school for work and the occasional plants vs zombies game, since wifi doesn't work.. :(
Old 01-15-2011 at 01:27 PM   #64
RyanC
Elite Member

New priorities:
Essential: 1/8inch headphone jack, can last a day in stand-by (battery), and acceptable music capabilities, high text storage capacity, and secure locking (passworded and not possible for me to roll over on top of and call people in the middle of the night by mistake)

Important: very good OS, android or similar quality app market, some way to send/receive email instantly (i use gmail), qwerty texting, and perrrrddyy.

Honestly, iPhone is the only thing that so far matches these criteria.. LOL :( :( :(

edit: and I researched pretty extensively.. all the top-of-the-line phones were great, but always lacked something, and had useless features like high-quality video recording, etc

Last edited by RyanC : 01-15-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2011 at 02:46 PM   #65
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
New priorities:
Essential: 1/8inch headphone jack, can last a day in stand-by (battery), and acceptable music capabilities, high text storage capacity, and secure locking (passworded and not possible for me to roll over on top of and call people in the middle of the night by mistake)

Important: very good OS, android or similar quality app market, some way to send/receive email instantly (i use gmail), qwerty texting, and perrrrddyy.

Honestly, iPhone is the only thing that so far matches these criteria.. LOL :( :( :(
Or, ya know, the Samsung Galaxy S....

In fact, I'd say the majority of Android phones support all those things.
Old 01-15-2011 at 02:55 PM   #66
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Or, ya know, the Samsung Galaxy S....

In fact, I'd say the majority of Android phones support all those things.
Is that the one you have? Whats its biggest flaw you've found?

It turns out I was looking the wrong review, didn't even check out the actual review of it... argh.. I crossed it off my list because I thought it had terrible battery life..

Does it have a regular headphone jack and hows the battery life and mp3 capabilities?
Old 01-15-2011 at 03:10 PM   #67
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

motorola milestone is old but fits all of your criteria

edit: don't know about the battery life lol

RyanC says thanks to waldo92 for this post.
Old 01-15-2011 at 03:15 PM   #68
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
motorola milestone is old but fits all of your criteria

edit: don't know about the battery life lol
Actually, that looks pretty sweet... motorola has a nice specifications layout on their site...
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:14 PM   #69
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Is that the one you have? Whats its biggest flaw you've found?

It turns out I was looking the wrong review, didn't even check out the actual review of it... argh.. I crossed it off my list because I thought it had terrible battery life..

Does it have a regular headphone jack and hows the battery life and mp3 capabilities?
Ya, it's the one I have.

Yes, it has a regular headphone jack. The MP3 capability is the same as any Android phone, which I think is good enough. Standard stuff - view by album, artist, genre; shuffle, equalizer - all that good stuff. There isn't any kind of 'background static' or whatever one would call it, which I find pretty common on crappier phones (*cough* huawei *cough*).

The battery life at first I found was pretty crap (like maybe a day). Since then, I upgraded to this custom firmware called Perception 10.1, and it's been waaaaay better - definitely a lot longer than the HTC Magic I used to use. I can get at least a couple days out of it on standby with the bluetooth radio enabled.

The only real flaw I found was that I thought it used some stupid proprietary cable for charging/syncing - turns out its a new USB standard the industry is moving towards being adopted by many manufacturers - really dumb when it's almost the same as the last thing...

Also, to build on what someone else here was mentioning - I'm quite impressed by the Windows 7 phones. Windows Mobile 2000 through 6.5 were all god awful (especially 2005, 6.0 and 6.5). Windows 7 Mobile (at least what I could tell from playing with one in the Rogers store) has a super fluid interface and doesn't lag at all like every single one of its predecessors did.

I think I heard the Windows 7 phones are generally cheaper right now since Microsoft is having a hard time winning back those turned away by the earlier windows mobile OSes. Might be worth checking out if budget is an issue.

Also, I'd recommend looking at phones with at least a 1 GHz processor if you're like me and start raging whenever your phone locks up.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 01-15-2011 at 04:18 PM.

RyanC says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:39 PM   #70
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I think I heard the Windows 7 phones are generally cheaper right now since Microsoft is having a hard time winning back those turned away by the earlier windows mobile OSes. Might be worth checking out if budget is an issue.

Also, I'd recommend looking at phones with at least a 1 GHz processor if you're like me and start raging whenever your phone locks up.

Hmm... the windows 7 phone looks perfect, but I'm not sure what you mean by cheaper.. the Samsung Focus is 600$ (100$ with plan..) no different than any other phones.
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:41 PM   #71
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Hmm... the windows 7 phone looks perfect, but I'm not sure what you mean by cheaper.. the Samsung Focus is 600$ (100$ with plan..) no different than any other phones.
Meh, I guess it was just a rumor then. I just remember hearing about some mobile communications company somewhere offering 2 for 1 Windows 7 Phones with a 3-year contract. :p
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:07 PM   #72
RyanC
Elite Member

Well my ranking is:
Samsung Focus>Motorola Milestone>Samsung Galaxy S>iPhone 4>HTC Desire>HTC Wildfire> iPhone 3Gs>etc
Everything else had little things I didn't like about them.

My top 3 seem to have comparable battery life, and the Focus is the most simplistic and seems(?) to fit my needs.. its hard for me to look up specs because its so tedious.
Old 01-15-2011 at 10:20 PM   #73
Fish bones

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I have a similar situation.. I use the phone for calling maybe 5 min a day as well. and I decide to get a new phone number (actually I have a Nokia smartphone now). At first I just decided to get a $20 plan at Fido. But after considering the phone I feel like I want a Blackberry... but for that I need to choose the $40 unlimited plan at Rogers for 3 years contract. I'm really hesitating about this=.=
Old 01-16-2011 at 02:33 AM   #74
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Well my ranking is:
Samsung Focus>Motorola Milestone>Samsung Galaxy S>iPhone 4>HTC Desire>HTC Wildfire> iPhone 3Gs>etc
Everything else had little things I didn't like about them.

My top 3 seem to have comparable battery life, and the Focus is the most simplistic and seems(?) to fit my needs.. its hard for me to look up specs because its so tedious.
Samsung Focus? I thought you wanted apps. For apps you either go with big daddy Apples or smaller daddy Android, not Windows!

Why Motorola Milestone? Specs listed it with only a 600 MHz CPU and measly 256 MB RAM.

This compares to Galaxy S which has 1 GHz CPU and 512 MB RAM.
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:35 AM   #75
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
I was reallly considering an iPhone but I don't want to jump on the bandwaggon and I just really like androids :O

Maybe I'll buy iPhone used... could I still have Roger's with my new iPhone?

I've got the motorola milestone, and it's honestly awesome. I love the screen size, its a touch screen, tonnes of free reliable apps, great music capabilities, and on top of the touch screen its got a slide out physical keyboard, which is always a must for me.

Some say its a tab big, but I personally think its a great size. I recommend checking it out