MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Programs at Mac manu General Discussion 8 06-28-2009 09:12 PM
Year II Bio Programs? rrtt General Discussion 8 06-27-2009 11:05 PM
Level II Programs? Mr.Prodigy Academics 5 03-29-2009 10:56 PM
Level II Programs James Academics 2 02-26-2009 03:03 PM

New Laptop -- Useful Programs?

Old 07-28-2010 at 03:00 PM   #1
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

New Laptop -- Useful Programs?
So I'll be getting a new laptop in a week or two, and it's got Windows 7 (64-bit) for an operating system. Currently I use a Vista computer with a lot of addon programs to make it easier to manage. I was wondering what programs people could recommend for me for my new laptop? Favourite programs, addons, etc? Programs to improve performance? Programs to improve battery life? (Underclocking CPU/GPU, etc).

Bear in mind, I'm very familiar with Windows, so don't be afraid to suggest more complex programs.
Old 07-28-2010 at 03:56 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

CCleaner for sure, an AV and Firewall, Firefox.. those are the basics and necessity nowadays
Old 07-28-2010 at 04:18 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Chrome (It's hard to use any other browser after using Chrome for a while)
iTunes (assuming you have an iDevice, if not there are much better alternatives)
Microsoft Security Essentials (free anti-virus software and among the best you can find for windows paid or free)
VLC Media Player (It plays basically any media file you throw at it)
Microsoft Office (You'll need it for class, if you don't feel like buying it OpenOffice is a great alternative)

Those are what I'd consider the "essential" programs
Old 07-28-2010 at 04:18 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Linux.

aaront, Haller like this.
Old 07-28-2010 at 04:22 PM   #5
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Linux.
Psych.
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:14 PM   #6
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Definately download BatteryCare ( http://batterycare.net/en/index.html )
If you set up this program properly (like reducing brightness a bit and turning aero off when you arent plugged in), it really helps. And it also shows you stuff like temp which is cool.

Also, I know VLC is popular, but the interface is kinda ugly. A much better program in my opinion is KMP Player (http://kmplayer.en.softonic. com). When you're installing the program and it asks you how fast your laptop is, select the highest quality, because KMP player somehow improves quality of videos (compared side-by-side to VLC). And you can download themes to make it look nicer!

Last year, I used Mozilla Sunbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird) as my calender to organize due dates for each course (using different colours too). I might try using the calender in Outlook this year though since I've gotten used to it at work, but Sunbird was really helpful.

Oh and get Microsoft OneNote if you ever wanna take lecture notes. thats all i can think of right now. hope that helps =)

changturkey likes this.
Old 07-28-2010 at 06:54 PM   #7
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
iTunes (assuming you have an iDevice, if not there are much better alternatives)
foobar2000

Apparently foobar tells me I've used it for 26 weeks, 2 days, and 4 hours worth of playing music to date.
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:03 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
foobar2000

Apparently foobar tells me I've used it for 26 weeks, 2 days, and 4 hours worth of playing music to date.
whenever i see that apps name i think of spyware or a toolbar of some sort, lol.
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:37 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
foobar2000

I personally swear by SongBird, I have a few friends that can't live without Winamp, and DoubleTwist is getting a lot of positive buzz (and there are rumors of Google buying/licencing it as "iTunes for Android").

I had Foobar2000 on my old computer but never really used it
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:49 PM   #10
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
VLC Media Player (It plays basically any media file you throw at it)
I found K-Lite + Media Player Classic more reliable (although I haven't updated my VLC in a while so I dunno about newer versions)
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:02 PM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
I found K-Lite + Media Player Classic more reliable (although I haven't updated my VLC in a while so I dunno about newer versions)
I loathe MPC, I've tried it on 3 separate occasions ad could not stand it

Quote:
Originally Posted by farid View Post
Also, I know VLC is popular, but the interface is kinda ugly. A much better program in my opinion is KMP Player (http://kmplayer.en.softonic. com). When you're installing the program and it asks you how fast your laptop is, select the highest quality, because KMP player somehow improves quality of videos (compared side-by-side to VLC). And you can download themes to make it look nicer!
KMP is actually pretty nice, it managed to play a corrupted subtitle file for a movie that VLC would't recognize anymore and it really does make movies look nicer (though I had to run VLC and KMP side by side to notice so it's not a huge improvement). I'm gonna try making it my main video player for a while and see if I like it.
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:02 PM   #12
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Cutepdf writer: free utility for making PDF files from any program that can print
Foxit PDF reader: free PDF viewer that is small, fast and without the security holes of Adobe Acrobat
Inkscape: Free open source vector image creation (for creating diagrams, posters, etc).
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:27 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

In case you didn't know, you don't have to use iTunes to sync your iPod to your computer. There are tutorials that show you how you can get certain other media players to sync with iPods. Songbird, MediaMonkey, WinAmp are just a few that I know are iPod compatible. If you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone, you can use the AppStore on your touch/phone itself instead of using iTunes.

I also use Chrome as my browser, but I have Firefox for MacInsiders.

I use IOBit to clean my computer (Instead of CCleaner), it also has an uninstaller/scrubber that is comparable to RevoUninstaller and has 360 Security for Spyware/Malware. the only downfall is that the free version doesn't have a scheduler for scanning spyware/malware, but it still has live scanning.

I use NitroPDF reader instead of Adobe Reader. It also print PDF files.

I use SmartDefrag instead of the windows defragger.

I use GOM as my media player.
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:38 PM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

I recently reviews IOBit's advanced systemcare pro if anyones interested: http://eceplayground.com/2010/07/21/...re-pro-review/

As for favorite players - iTunes for music (cleanest and easiest to use, get switchless installer) and VLC for videos.

I tend to stay away from defragging programs since they were the major downfall to my last hard drive's failure.
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:56 PM   #15
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
In case you didn't know, you don't have to use iTunes to sync your iPod to your computer. There are tutorials that show you how you can get certain other media players to sync with iPods. Songbird, MediaMonkey, WinAmp are just a few that I know are iPod compatible. If you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone, you can use the AppStore on your touch/phone itself instead of using iTunes.
SongBird hasn't been iDevice compatible for a while and DoubleTwist isn't compatible with any of the 6 newest iOS firmwares (4.01, 4.0, 3.2.1, 3.2, 3.1.3, and 3.1.2). I'm assuming WinAmp and MediaMonkey are in the same boat.

There may be plugins to enable iDevice compatibility but I haven't searched.