MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP and Flex OSAP Plan HELP! knguyens2 Financial Aid 4 08-23-2010 09:40 AM
Questions :) Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-11-2010 10:27 PM
Questions.. kwyhan Academics 7 06-15-2010 09:52 PM
Course Questions RyanC Academics 6 06-10-2010 10:07 AM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM

OSAP questions

Old 07-09-2008 at 10:40 PM   #1
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

OSAP questions
okayy, so i'm aware that OSAP will be released september 4th, and we have to go to mcmaster's financial aid office to pick it up. what is it exactly that we're picking up? a check? does that mean i could use that check towards anything? on the payment agreement it says that we can use OSAP as a funding option, so how would we do that...? i'm guessing pick up the OSAP check, deposit it, and use that money towards your payment, but i could be wrong. if someone could clarify that for me, that'd be great oh and...since OSAP isn't being released until september 4th and the first payment is due september 1st, that would mean i would have to use my own money to pay, then sort of use the OSAP money as some kind of reimbursement, correct? i hope i'm making sense here, lol.

Old 07-10-2008 at 11:33 AM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleyaa View Post
okayy, so i'm aware that OSAP will be released september 4th, and we have to go to mcmaster's financial aid office to pick it up. what is it exactly that we're picking up? a check? does that mean i could use that check towards anything? on the payment agreement it says that we can use OSAP as a funding option, so how would we do that...? i'm guessing pick up the OSAP check, deposit it, and use that money towards your payment, but i could be wrong. if someone could clarify that for me, that'd be great oh and...since OSAP isn't being released until september 4th and the first payment is due september 1st, that would mean i would have to use my own money to pay, then sort of use the OSAP money as some kind of reimbursement, correct? i hope i'm making sense here, lol.

Shleyaa,
First off, you're not alone in worrying about the payment deadline. The Student Cashiers office (who deal with all your payments and what not) are aware that many students are on OSAP. As long as you clicked OSAP off as your payment option in your Payment Agreement (PA) you will be fine. Make sure however that you go pick up your OSAP as soon as it comes out that way you do not incure any interest charges. So no, you do NOT have to use your own money to pay although you could if you wanted to.

Secondly, when you pick up your OSAP you do not pick up a cheque as you would normally think of it. All the money goes either directly to you, or to the school through direct payment. You will have to bring a void/blank cheque for this purpose. When you pick up your OSAP in Sept you get 60% of the total and the remaining 40% is left to be picked up in Jan. In Sept you decide to either give the minimum requirement for payment to the school or to give them all of it. It depends on whether or not you have enough with scholarships/bursaries plus the 60% of your OSAP. In my first year I paid everything off at once because I have a few scholarships to help me out.

When you go to pick up your OSAP you must go to the McMaster University Students Center (MUSC) NOT Student Financial Aid office. On the 3rd floor of MUSC is the CIBC Hall where everything is taken care of. There will be signs on the third floor of MUSC to direct you to it. Make sure you bring your SIN Card, Student ID Card, a form of government PHOTO ID (passport, drivers, permanent resident card, etc) and a blank cheque for depositing purposes. Without these you will be turned away and you will have to wait in line all over again.

Hope this helps!

Ms.Williams, tristic all say thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 07-10-2008 at 12:43 PM   #3
shleyaa

hmm ...i'm somewhat confused. so even if the first fee payment is due august 15th, you don't have to pay it if you're using your OSAP money, as long as u pick up your OSAP right away? and about the void/blank cheque thing. if my dad will be dealing with all the payments and whatnot, do i bring in one of his blank cheques, or does it have to be mine? (because i don't have a cheque book) anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me!

Old 07-10-2008 at 12:54 PM   #4
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Whatever bank account you want the money to be going into you need a bank cheque for it. Whether it has to be your own or not I'm not sure, I would call the financial aid office to clear that up.

As for the first fee payment being due on the 15th I don't know anything about that. To my understanding, we owe money as of September 1st, if you are on OSAP they know you don't have that money yet. As long as you indicate that you are on OSAP on your Payment Agreement you won't be in trouble for not paying as of Sept 1st. Where does it say you have to pay a fee on August 15th?

Last edited by kokosas : 07-10-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-10-2008 at 02:05 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Where did you read August 15th the first payment is due? Because I don't believe that's correct. The payment agreement says Sept 1st, as it has in the past. It is recommended though that you send the check in early so it arrives by Sept 1st. I would probably get it in early and post date it Sept 1st.

And you can have your father write the check, it doesn't have to be your own check. Just make sure you have your name and student number in the 'memo' field.
Old 07-10-2008 at 07:49 PM   #6
angel27

Liked: 7 Times

So i got a letter from the financial aid office saying that i need to provide some supporting documents. I sent in everything except one thing which I wont be able to send to them until probably after July 15th. Does that mean they wont process my osap application until i provide ALL the supporting documents?
Old 07-10-2008 at 09:17 PM   #7
shleyaa

haha sorry, i must've misread something on the important dates F/W 2008 document. k, so september 1st is the deadline date? and what does it mean to post date (why would you have to post date it) ?

Old 07-10-2008 at 09:25 PM   #8
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Does the QEII scholarship count as osap? Because i'm pretty sure i won't get osap..but i might get something from the scholarship (which you get through applying for osap)...so should i check off osap?
Old 07-10-2008 at 10:06 PM   #9
Nosferatu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
Does the QEII scholarship count as osap? Because i'm pretty sure i won't get osap..but i might get something from the scholarship (which you get through applying for osap)...so should i check off osap?
If you do not get OSAP, you'll only be getting 100$ from QEII. If I were you, I would not put a checkmark for OSAP.

dragonfly says thanks to Nosferatu for this post.
Old 07-10-2008 at 11:59 PM   #10
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Just as a side note, shleyaa, if you want the extra OSAP to go to YOUR bank account, as opposed to your dad's, just go to the bank, and ask for your direct deposit information. They should be able to print out a page for you, and give that to the people releasing OSAP instead of the void cheque. Cheques are easy cause a lot of people have them and they have all your banking information on them, but don't order cheques just so that you can have void ones.

shleyaa says thanks to Sarah13 for this post.
Old 07-11-2008 at 07:33 AM   #11
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Shleyaa,
What I think you mean by post-date is a post-dated cheque. This is when you write a cheque to be cashed at a later time, so in the case of tuition you would write it now but the date you would put on it would say Sept 1 2008, when I write my rent cheques for the year I post date them for each month so that my landlord has them all and can put them in the bank but the money won't come out until the day I specify on the cheque

Angel,
It might be the case that you won't be able to file your OSAP until after the 15th. In this case I would strongly recommend that you call the financial aid office so they are aware of this problem you have and can hopefully make some sort of special case for you. They can give you further direction in this than any of us can.

And Sarah is totally right, just tell the bank teller you need a banking information print out for direct deposit purposes and they'll give you a sheet of paper with all the info you need on it.

angel27, shleyaa all say thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 08-13-2008 at 08:55 PM   #12
lucox

I was just wondering if anyone could help me on this one...

So I was checking my payment agreement (im using the installement plan), and alongside the Mcmaster scholarships, I have a certain amount that I owe using OSAP money.

Now, will Mcmaster automatically use this money to pay what I owe (directly from my bank account), or will I have to pick up the OSAP money, take the amount that I owe out of my account and then pay it?!

So I guess what Im asking is: Will Mcmaster automatically take out the money they need (using OSAP money) or do I use the OSAP money myself to pay what I owe for the first installment?
Old 08-13-2008 at 09:11 PM   #13
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

in the beginning of sept, you will be required to pick up your osap. You will line up and get the amount that you will get from the first set of amount. Then the osap people will look at how much you still owe for tuition and then that amount of osap will be paid towards your school. If there are extra money left from your osap entitlement, they will write you a cheque and mail it to you or you can have htem put it in your bank account.

So in the payment agreement, the amount you see listed w/ OSAP will be the amount you will pick up when you line up for osap and they will help you put that money towards your tuition.

hope that clears its it up a bit. Here's more info on what to do for osap line up:
http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/
Old 08-13-2008 at 09:15 PM   #14
belladina

ok so i received some documents in the mail then i guess sent them to mac..my payment agreement says that the osap amount is taken off what i need to pay...m confused after that - what do i do now? and that means that i am receiving osap right?
Old 08-13-2008 at 09:23 PM   #15
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

so after you applied for osap you had to fill in some documents and send them to mac. Then now it should say on your osap account what you will be getting (one amount in sept and another in jan usually). On the payment agreement it should list out your OSAP if it has been confirmed or at least say ESTIMATE is coming or something. If you have an amount on your payment agreement you will then prb use the osap money to pay for tuitoin and have that selected.Then it will have that deducted off your tuition amount. Then you will pay your remaining amount you owe for school w/ your owe money either through cheque, or whatever amount yo pay. What you do after that is you have to pick up your osap documents when classes start. you will prb get an email about this in your mcmaster email account.
Fall 2008 OSAP release begins on Tuesday, September 2, 2008 and continues weekdays through Friday, September 12, 2008 from 9:00am to 4:00pm in the McMaster University Student Centre (MUSC) room 314/315.

so you line up and then there will be OSAP peopl esaying this is the amount you will be gettting to confirm it, ask you if this blah amount is the amount you will pay off tuition and what you want to do w/ the extra osap you have left over if you have any to be put in your bank account or give you a mailed cheque.

For more information try the financial aid site:
http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/

hope that helps its really GENERAL description that i have here.