MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP and Flex OSAP Plan HELP! knguyens2 Financial Aid 4 08-23-2010 09:40 AM
Questions :) Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-11-2010 10:27 PM
Questions.. kwyhan Academics 7 06-15-2010 09:52 PM
Course Questions RyanC Academics 6 06-10-2010 10:07 AM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM

OSAP questions

Old 09-05-2008 at 09:35 PM   #61
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristic View Post
Hi everyone! I had a question, maybe someone's asked it before, but I haven't seen it so far in this tread. So...

What do I do with the documents I get once I pick up my OSAP? The lady who was helping me didn't tell me anything, and I didn't think to ask at the time, but hopefully someone'll be able to answer me. Also, once everything's done, what happens? Is that all? I just sit back until December/January or whenever I have to pick up the next 40% of my loan?

Thanks for any help that you can give me!
I believe those documents are just for your/future reference. I didn't do anything with the documents I got last year.

tristic says thanks to eycc11 for this post.
Old 09-06-2008 at 11:45 AM   #62
[email protected]

Liked: 0 Times

hey guys,

how do i know when my OSAP was released?

i was waiting in line the other day and when i finally got there, they found my name, but no money was entitled to me? what the hell?

and so they told me to check back and maybe i didn't send in some supporting documents. i checked and it said i need to give in my confirmation of enrolment form but then i went to the financial aid office and they said i get that AFTER i receive my money.

this is all too confusing.
Old 09-06-2008
[email protected]
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-11-2008 at 02:13 PM   #63
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I just picked up my OSAP today, and I selected it as a payment option in the payment agreement, so the money goes directly to the school, right? Is it possible that I can get it directed to my bank account instead?
Old 09-11-2008 at 03:04 PM   #64
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

You have to pay the school a minimum amount, if you pay that off, whatever is left over will go to your account after the school has been paid.

Old 09-11-2008 at 03:50 PM   #65
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

But is there any way I can get all of it to my bank account instead of directly to the school, as if I hadn't selected OSAP as a payment option in the payment agreement?
Old 09-11-2008 at 06:24 PM   #66
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I don't think so but you could check with Financial Aid.

Old 09-13-2008 at 07:10 PM   #67
mandee08

Liked: 1 Time

what happens if you've given the school more than you owe them?
I told the OSAP people that I wanted to forward my osap money directly to mcmaster.

The 60% osap i've sent mcmaster just now, on top of my scholarships and "amount due in full" that I paid by september 1st, I've ended up sending mcmaster an extra $500 ish. on my account statement it shows -$12800 something, when i'm only supposed to owe about $12300.

and theres still going to be the other 40% osap that I'm receiving later on!...
what do I do with all this extra osap money going to mcmaster? does it just carry over to next year or something? or does it get put back into my bank account? I don't get it.. :S
Old 09-13-2008 at 08:07 PM   #68
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandee08 View Post
what happens if you've given the school more than you owe them?

what do I do with all this extra osap money going to mcmaster? does it just carry over to next year or something? or does it get put back into my bank account? I don't get it.. :S
The leftover balance will remain in your student account. You can leave it for the next academic year, but you can also ask for a 'refund' where you just go into the Financial Accounts office and they'll mail you a cheque (to whatever address that is listed on your MUGSI).

mandee08 says thanks to eycc11 for this post.
Old 09-15-2008 at 10:04 AM   #69
dah-legend

Liked: 0 Times

question here?

I picked up my osap, the guy told me that they will pay for my fees. is that correct? i have to pay 3645. but i got that same amount in my student account with my schlarship so im at -3799 at the moment. i was entitled to about 6000ish for september. i got the rest in my bacnk account. R MY FEES PAID? or WHAT?
Old 07-29-2009 at 10:38 AM   #70
Starkad

Liked: 21 Times

Confusing table of doom
When you check your status for OSAP, you are shown a table that sums up what you will be given. The columns are loans, Ontario Access Grants, Canada Student Grants, Scholarships and Bursaries, and Ontario Distance Grants. The rows are 'to be released on sept 10', 'to be released on jan 1', and your total 'current entitlement' (conveniently located above the rows it is the sum of, so as to confuse you )

I am receiving an amount in the loans column, which I know I will have to pay back.

But I am also receiving an amount in the Ontario Access Grants for 1st year students, and an amount in Canada Student Grants.

My question is, must I pay back these grants? Because, combined, they outweigh the total of the loans column.

Please and thank you for your answers
Old 07-29-2009 at 09:57 PM   #71
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkad View Post
When you check your status for OSAP, you are shown a table that sums up what you will be given. The columns are loans, Ontario Access Grants, Canada Student Grants, Scholarships and Bursaries, and Ontario Distance Grants. The rows are 'to be released on sept 10', 'to be released on jan 1', and your total 'current entitlement' (conveniently located above the rows it is the sum of, so as to confuse you )

I am receiving an amount in the loans column, which I know I will have to pay back.

But I am also receiving an amount in the Ontario Access Grants for 1st year students, and an amount in Canada Student Grants.

My question is, must I pay back these grants? Because, combined, they outweigh the total of the loans column.

Please and thank you for your answers
Well, you won't ever have to pay back grants because it's free money. But I think you mean if you have to give back the grants because you don't owe any money to McMaster. In that case, I think you keep the grant.

The Ontario Distance Grant is for people that live far and have to commute to the university. In this case you'll need the money to buy tickets and what not, so it wouldn't make sense if you have to pay it back. I think all the other grants are like that too.

Starkad says thanks to jhan523 for this post.