religion electives help! maryam17 Academics 2 06-22-2009 08:06 AM
Philosophy and Religion electives voracious Academics 1 06-13-2008 08:42 AM

Religion on campus

Old 03-11-2010 at 07:07 PM   #31
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
a) I think you're just trolling to see if Kathy actually blocked you, rofl.
and
b) I'd sooner die than resort to prayer. XDD
I'm just saying that its not necessarily irrelevant to people in the hospital. MSU clubs do have non MSU members. The event appeared to be an option invitation.
Old 03-11-2010 at 07:08 PM   #32
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I haven't read through all the cents; this is just my chipping in:
I personally find some graffiti done with thought and real dedication to the art and its message phenomenal. I don't approve of graffiti on private property but I think, in some instances, governments need wake up calls and a nice Banksy or that stunning LSD-trip-like display when you drive to Gerrard Street downtown is phenomenal.

I don't think this is graffiti if it was done with permission but I don't like it. For one thing, it's a bit too much on the eyes, and the second thing is that, despite believing in God and wanting to better myself in a religious and spiritual context - I still don't appreciate it.

I'm fine with the "G's" but I don't like walking on the word "God" and ...if I was devoted enough to say I knew God personally, I wouldn't want to write His name on the floor of all places. I'm not devoted enough and I still don't want to do that.

But that's just how I see it

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-11-2010 at 07:10 PM   #33
cocchiarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Maybe, but I think they'd just as likely want the chaplain service or their own minister to come and visit rather than go to a student group.
to each his own
Old 03-11-2010 at 07:10 PM   #34
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocchiarella View Post
I'm just saying that its not necessarily irrelevant to people in the hospital. MSU clubs do have non MSU members. The event appeared to be an option invitation.
What exactly do you mean by non msu members? Part time students?
Or do you mean people outside of Mac completely? Because if it's the latter, I'm pretty sure that's untrue. I could be completely wrong though, I just under the impression that mac clubs are meant for mac students.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-11-2010 at 07:16 PM   #35
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I don't know how using chalk to promote your beliefs is inclusive. If I don't share your religion, how can I feel included in the promotion of your events.
If I don't like spirit events (although that's not true for me, some people don't care much for them), how could I feel included in the promotion of spirit events.
Old 03-11-2010 at 07:23 PM   #36
cocchiarella

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by non msu members? Part time students?
Or do you mean people outside of Mac completely? Because if it's the latter, I'm pretty sure that's untrue. I could be completely wrong though, I just under the impression that mac clubs are meant for mac students.
Operating policy 1.9.9 - MSU Clubs

3.3 Non-MSU members may hold club membership upon invitation of the club, but may not
hold Executive office, or any position, which gives them authority to expend MSU Club
funds;

3.4 A minimum of 2/3 of the clubs membership must be constituted of MSU members (full-
time undergraduate students);

source : https://www.msumcmaster.ca/content/d...SU%20Clubs.pdf
Old 03-11-2010 at 07:35 PM   #37
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

The current KGP campaign, which is related to the thread topic, is in the form of a question.

Can you know God personally?
if so, How do you know God personally? Do you know God personally?
Any answer to the question is acceptable, no one is trying to box you into anything.

Shoving down throats:
I don't know about you but when I hear the phrase "Forcing religion upon someone" I tend to think of Constantine, you know, the whole convert or die thing. I don't think that chalk has the power to force anything upon anyone. If chalking is forcing religion then what do you call Constantine's tactics?
If people approach you about God and you don't want to talk to them, say "Go away" in whatever degree/form of politeness you feel like. I promise they'll leave.

Graffiti
Also I don't think chalking is graffiti (unless done in a location that the rain will not easily wash away). IMHO graffiti is more permanent, like spray painting things or defacing bathroom stall walls with permanent marker or knives. (hehe, apparently there are some whiteboards in some of the bathrooms for temporary graffiti. someone wrote "i have a marker" and someone responded "i have a knife" carved in the white board :S )

Inclusivity:
Religious events are typically not for the club members but are for non-club members to come and understand what these people are about. Being exclusive would be disallowing club members from coming to the event or charging them for it. C4C'ers would absolutely love non-C4C'ers to come to their events. plus they don't think they can convert you, people make their own decisions in the end. (There are two sides to every coin, if someone shares their faith with you, don't view it as religious bigotry trying to shove something down your throat, instead view it as the person likes you enough to want to be with you forever of course it might just as well be the former)

At the end of the day, if the chalking offends you, you can take solace in the fact that since the event is (tomorrow) Friday at 6:15 in HSC 1A1 that all the advertising will be done and the chalk will soon be gone and no longer accost you from the pavement. (sorry for the shameless self-plug)
Old 03-11-2010 at 07:42 PM   #38
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Just a note: chalk is now being used to advertise for an MacMSA (McMaster Muslim Student's Association) event as well, and I saw one that might have been a third thing.

I'm relatively sure the reason that MSU Presidential candidates and SRA candidates aren't allowed to use chalk any more was because of the overuse that made the campus look tacky. If enough other clubs start chalking advertisements for events, clubs will probably lose that privilege.

Theophilus says thanks to Marlowe for this post.

arathbon, lawleypop like this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 07:47 PM   #39
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Just a note: chalk is now being used to advertise for an MacMSA (McMaster Muslim Student's Association) event as well, and I saw one that might have been a third thing.

I'm relatively sure the reason that MSU Presidential candidates and SRA candidates aren't allowed to use chalk any more was because of the overuse that made the campus look tacky. If enough other clubs start chalking advertisements for events, clubs will probably lose that privilege.
-facepalm-
-ragefais-
-headdesk-
-all other variations-

I'm gonna start chalking up penises everywhere just so we DO lose the privilege.

gah.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

jamescw1234, shanntz like this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 07:51 PM   #40
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
-facepalm-
-ragefais-
-headdesk-
-all other variations-

I'm gonna start chalking up penises everywhere just so we DO lose the privilege.

gah.
lol, they'll just assume it's from the engineers.

arathbon, lawleypop like this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 07:53 PM   #41
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:

When the SRA and Presidential candidates used chalk to advertise, was it was "overused" as the current KGP chalking? I honestly can't imagine it looking worse than this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:00 PM   #42
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I have no idea of the extend to which it was used because I wasn't a student at that time. I had heard from someone that it was no longer allowed because of the overuse. But we've all seen the number of signs that went up for SRA and the Presidentials, I'd have a hard time believing that it wasn't as bad or worse than the KGP ones.

Kathy2 says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:08 PM   #43
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
I have no idea of the extend to which it was used because I wasn't a student at that time. I had heard from someone that it was no longer allowed because of the overuse. But we've all seen the number of signs that went up for SRA and the Presidentials, I'd have a hard time believing that it wasn't as bad or worse than the KGP ones.
And I could imagine the amount it would've been counter chalked as well...
Old 03-11-2010
FireDragoonX
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:15 PM   #44
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:

Yeah I saw that, promoting Islam awareness week. How cute, lets promote KGP and Islam week with chalk, so classy.