STATS 2B03 vs STATS 2D03 jhan523 Academics 2 06-13-2009 12:53 AM

Stats 2B03

Old 12-19-2008 at 02:30 PM   #31
phana2

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Stats 2B03
STATS 2B03
Statistical Methods for Science
Prerequisite: One of Grade 12 Data Management U, STATS 1A03 or registration in Level II or above of a program in the Faculty of Science
Instructor: Dr. Aaron Childs
Lectures: Three 1 hour lectures per week + one (optional) 1...

all say thanks to phana2 for this post.

like this.
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:51 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
There is even more rearranging when SOLAR reopens in August.
Old 06-21-2010 at 06:46 PM   #31
dimoxyel
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 7 Times
Stats 2B03
I have heard good things about the other professor who teaches this course. I have nothing good to say about Dr. Sarr teaching this course.

He mutters inaudibly at the whiteboard, such that even sitting in the front row, I couldn't make out most of what he was saying. On the very first day of class (sitting in the fifth row), I had asked him to please speak up, and he did not seem to even attempt this. His lecture notes, which he posts online after class, are relatively clear, but don't give very in-depth information. The day we were originally supposed to write our midterm, we waited an hour and a half for him to show up with the tests, and he never did. The apology he posted to ELM said that he had experienced technical difficulties trying to print the tests. "Considering the fact that you waited a long time, I thus decided not to test you in such conditions of fear." I think most of us were more ticked off than afraid.

The textbook, on the other hand, is clear, if not entirely concise, and fully explains everything you need to know. Combining the textbook with Dr. Sarr's lecture notes (used only to determine what I did and didn't need to know), I was able to learn all the concepts quite competently.

The midterm itself was quite reasonable. I found the questions to be fair and clearly worded, although there was one question for which the answer was not present on the page.

The exam, on the other hand, lulled me into a false sense of security and then started beating me over the head. The first twenty of fourty questions were easy-peasy, and I thought I would finish the entire 3-hour test in 1 hour. Then, almost instantaneously, it switched to brutally difficult questions, many of which I wound up guessing. I passed, I'm sure, but it was definitely not my best exam ever.

The course is, I think, marginally interesting, and probably will be useful for any of us going into research. It does require a fair amount of studying and practice, but it is definitely not the worst course I've taken.

All in all, if you're going to take this course, avoid Dr. Sarr at all costs if you rely remotely on auditory learning, and don't waste your time with the lectures if you're good at learning from a textbook. (Just don't fall behind in the readings - As clear as the textbook is, it's also very dry reading, and if you try to do more than a chapter in one night, you'll be asleep faster than you can say "biostatistics")

arathbon likes this.
Old 07-03-2010 at 03:48 PM   #32
sv222

Liked: 0 Times
does anyone have the fall 2009 outline?
Old 08-09-2010
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-01-2010 at 10:27 AM   #33
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times
argghhh not have childs core, whos heard of SARR?? is he gd
Old 09-01-2010 at 11:01 AM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
He doesn't talk very loudly so sit in the front row. He also does a lot of proofs, you don't need to know them though. The course was easy regardless. Just do practice questions from the book.
Old 09-01-2010 at 02:03 PM   #35
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
He doesn't talk very loudly so sit in the front row. He also does a lot of proofs, you don't need to know them though. The course was easy regardless. Just do practice questions from the book.
what book?txt or is there CCW argh i wanted to save money on books
Old 09-01-2010 at 02:05 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
what book?txt or is there CCW argh i wanted to save money on books
Textbook, I used it a bunch to do questions and read chapters. It's very easy to understand and has TONS of examples to help you understand.

You'll need the CCW because they contain labs, there are also practice tests that are useful.
Old 09-01-2010 at 04:03 PM   #37
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times
im in c01 whos heard of VOLTERMAN? i wish childs wasn't doing the 8:30am class, would be a huge gap in my timetable if i was with him esp since i have to commute
Old 09-01-2010 at 04:22 PM   #38
jlam

Liked: 0 Times
Is anyone selling the textbook for this course?
Old 09-01-2010 at 05:18 PM   #39
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
Is anyone selling the textbook for this course?
Check the marketplace
Old 09-01-2010 at 08:10 PM   #40
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Personally, I thought he was terrible. He moved way too slowly (we only learned just over half of the course), he spoke so quietly that even in the front row I had trouble hearing him, and he would waste so much time teaching random stuff we didn't need to know (either stuff that was easy common-sense unnecessary, or random proof beyond the scope of the course unnecessary). It's actually the very first course where I learned more from the textbook than the lectures...and I am NOT a textbook learner. Because we were so behind, he kept delaying the due dates for our assignments because it would be the day before they're due and we hadn't covered the material yet, but I'd already done them so I always ended up teaching myself the stuff on the assignments. I pretty much taught myself the course...well, half of it, anyways With two other profs who won't be so behind, I'm not sure how it will work--assuming you all write the same tests and have the same assignment due dates, hopefully he'll go somewhat faster.
Old 09-01-2010 at 11:56 PM   #41
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Personally, I thought he was terrible. He moved way too slowly (we only learned just over half of the course), he spoke so quietly that even in the front row I had trouble hearing him, and he would waste so much time teaching random stuff we didn't need to know (either stuff that was easy common-sense unnecessary, or random proof beyond the scope of the course unnecessary). It's actually the very first course where I learned more from the textbook than the lectures...and I am NOT a textbook learner. Because we were so behind, he kept delaying the due dates for our assignments because it would be the day before they're due and we hadn't covered the material yet, but I'd already done them so I always ended up teaching myself the stuff on the assignments. I pretty much taught myself the course...well, half of it, anyways With two other profs who won't be so behind, I'm not sure how it will work--assuming you all write the same tests and have the same assignment due dates, hopefully he'll go somewhat faster.

just my freakin luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! switching to 8:30 classes (ARGGHH NOT A MORNING PERSON!!).... i tried to avoid this but think childs is worth it

Last edited by MCHEDDENITE : 09-02-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-02-2010 at 08:21 PM   #42
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Thank god Childs is taking 8:30...hopefully there will be more than one person in the room with me.
Old 09-02-2010 at 08:43 PM   #43
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Thank god Childs is taking 8:30...hopefully there will be more than one person in the room with me.
That was very good planning on their part Can you imagine if Childs had the 1230 timeslot?!
And on the flip side, can you imagine Sarr at 8:30am?! Seriously, it was bad enough from 7-10pm, but at 830 would have been death...I don't think I would have been able to do it :S

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search