MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Study Spots on Campus..... shay2014 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-13-2010 05:08 PM
Places to shower on campus? lawleypop General Discussion 15 12-08-2009 11:24 AM
meal plan/student card and campus food spots Kailoli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-03-2009 09:12 PM
(More) Places to Eat Off-Campus Chad Food & Meal Plans 4 01-12-2008 04:08 PM
Places to study on Campus Sarahs Academics 7 09-11-2007 09:19 AM

Study Spots / Hidden places on campus

Old 11-09-2008 at 04:42 AM   #1
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

Good study spots?
I used to go to Thode second floor last year for a nice, quiet, isolated spot to study. But now the whole place is just really loud.

Do you guys know of any quiet places around campus that are good for studying? I think that some rooms and buildings are left open all night, I was thinking of studying in one of these. Suggestions?
Old 11-09-2008 at 05:58 AM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

If I told you where all the good study spots were on a public forum they wouldn't be good anymore.

If you're looking to find one during the day-- good luck.
Later in the evening you can go to tutorial rooms and lectures and utilize their chalk/white boards which have helped me SOO much when studying.
Also, UH at night-- my personal fave
Old 11-09-2008 at 03:47 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

CNH lobby can be quiet, also check out INNIS library (not too many go there since it it's a bit hidden). Also try CNH basement, there's seating area down there. MDCL's waterfall room tends to be quiet as well as the study carols in the Science Library.
Just search around in the basements of most buildings and there are quiet areas.
Old 11-09-2008 at 04:43 PM   #4
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

3rd floor of Thode is nice and quiet, even when its packed.

Where is Innis Library??
Old 11-09-2008 at 05:39 PM   #5
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
3rd floor of Thode is nice and quiet, even when its packed.

Where is Innis Library??
Kenneth Taylor, 1st floor.

Also, Health Science Library has an awesome study area, although it can packed at times...

if you really need quiet, there is a room in there called the History of Medicine Library. You could hear a pin drop in there.

Last edited by dvy88 : 11-09-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2008 at 06:32 PM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I steal one of the larger tutorial rooms in TSH or CNH at night.

Old 11-09-2008 at 06:49 PM   #7
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

you theif!
Old 11-09-2008 at 06:53 PM   #8
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Im joking btw , this is a good post though. I have been very disappointed this year as my two hot spots last year are no longer available to me (3rd floor student centre couch and ottoman sections overlooking the marketplace and 3rd floor library overlooking the student centre), last year I was able to arrive at 12 pm and get a spot, now I can't seem to snag anything even at 9 am.
Old 11-09-2008 at 09:07 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Ya, the student centre is ridiculous now. In my first and second year it was pretty tolerable since MUSC was a fairly new building and wasn't established yet as the "hub where everyone goes and does everything and walks through to get anywhere" building. The second and third floors of MUSC are always so busy now that you see 5-6 people sitting in the hallway sprawled on the floor studying. The FLOOR? What have things come to? There's clearly not enough quiet study space.

One of the contributing factors I feel was when the libraries took away their no eating policy. When you couldn't eat in the library I think it filtered out some students and give the image that it was a place to study and not a place to eat lunch. But now that you can eat there, it has become more of a 'hang out, eat, and be noisy and loud' location with the focus less on quiet study and research.

While I love that there are places to hang out and surf the net on your laptop with wireless in comfy seats or couches and do group work, we still need quiet study space, now more than ever with more students at the university each year. Yet, they've just replaced the quiet study with the collaborative loud study setups - meanings there's now less quiet study than there was before. Especially in Thode and Mills.

Goce, neb21 all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 11-09-2008 at 10:22 PM   #10
jtran89

Liked: 0 Times

MDCL all the floors, theres a billion tutorial rooms up there just make sure you get in before the elevators are locked and the building is locked. DO NOT PLAY WITH THE PROJECTOR it will set off a silent alarm enjoy
Old 11-09-2008 at 11:18 PM   #11
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtran89 View Post
MDCL all the floors, theres a billion tutorial rooms up there just make sure you get in before the elevators are locked and the building is locked. DO NOT PLAY WITH THE PROJECTOR it will set off a silent alarm enjoy

Bahahaha. Awesome.

I personally take food with me into the library and find a nice corner to sit, usually on the floor, by an outlet and do what I've got to do. If people start having a conversation I have no qualms about telling them to stuff it.

And the student center is NO place to get work done, not unless it's the summer on a friday when the campus is dead.

Old 11-10-2008 at 07:23 AM   #12
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I ditto MDCL. But I was once studying and at 3 am a custodian recommended that I go back home and sleep. =( But the tutorial rooms are amazing! I <3 white/chalkboards for studying
Old 11-10-2008 at 07:34 AM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I agree, MDCL rooms are nice - I know of a sort of 'hidden' room that people usually don't find in there

But what I find annoying is when I look into a huge tutorial room and there is just ONE PERSON in there. I usually go to those rooms when I have a group of 2-3 people. Oh, also note that science students can reserve those rooms and come and kick you out at any time
Old 11-11-2008 at 02:38 PM   #14
Atethrie

Liked: 1 Time

Study Spots / Hidden places on campus
So! I was curious where people have found nooks and crany's hidden around campus. i know they exist cause they exist everywhere that there are buildings with couches, and people move them places. but i digress. where have people found private places to sleep, study, crash, etc around the campus? private places are hard to come by, but i was wondering whats out there.
Old 11-11-2008 at 02:46 PM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Atethrie, I merged your post with the 'study spots' thread as it may help you out. We're discussing where are some good places on campus for quiet study or working.