MacInsiders Logo
Old 04-29-2011 at 09:00 AM   #1
ellerytc
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 25 Times
summer exercise
I hadn't really realized what a good deal we were getting from McMaster at the Pulse...
until I went around to a couple of gyms in my area last night to see what kind of offers they had for 4-month or no contract memberships.

They ranged from $160-250 for FOUR MONTHS. My jaw dropped a little each time I heard their prices
40+ a month to use the facilities
when we paid like 120 for 8 months at Mac (which I know, I guess is subsidized by the school and our student fees and etc.)
is it worth it?

what's everyone's alternative to exercising in the summer/what are the best deals you guys have found? (just out of curiosity, I'm trying to decide if I should sign up for that cheapest one...)
even though I know I really don't have that kind of money to spend
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Add negative rating0Add positive rank
Old 04-29-2011 at 09:04 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellerytc View Post
I hadn't really realized what a good deal we were getting from McMaster at the Pulse...
until I went around to a couple of gyms in my area last night to see what kind of offers they had for 4-month or no contract memberships.

They ranged from $160-250 for FOUR MONTHS. My jaw dropped a little each time I heard their prices
40+ a month to use the facilities
when we paid like 120 for 8 months at Mac (which I know, I guess is subsidized by the school and our student fees and etc.)
is it worth it?

what's everyone's alternative to exercising in the summer/what are the best deals you guys have found? (just out of curiosity, I'm trying to decide if I should sign up for that cheapest one...)
even though I know I really don't have that kind of money to spend
Gyms are only worth it in the sense that some fees include personalized attention from trainers. That's still true for McMaster to some extent though, its just not as great.

Honestly, I'd pay the Pulse fee and just make friends with a dude who really knows his workout stuff. Check out the Dragon Boat team a McMaster.. they do group workouts, they're pretty awesome and militaristic-ly regular
Old 04-29-2011 at 09:34 AM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
The Pulse is a REALLY good deal, if you plan on going to the gym at least semi-regularly. The only problem is that it can be kind of busy, but I doubt that will be a problem in the summer.
Another thing is, pulse memberships are open to non-students as well. So people in the Westdale/Hamilton community are able to get memberships.

I generally don't pay for exercise. I bought a Pulse membership once, and it was a good deal, but I don't really like the gym. I walk, dance, exercise with Wii/Kinect, do workout DVDs. If I pay for it (like a gym), it makes it feel like a chore.

Old 04-29-2011 at 10:08 AM   #4
Jason036
Program: Life Science
Year: Second

Liked: 25 Times
I just joined up with a gym near my house ( I don't live on residence so it doesn't make any sense for me to join up at Pulse )

I pay $365 for the year or $1 a day (With no contract)...and its all I need.

Mac's gym is obviously a better deal but it doesn't do anything for people who don't live on residence...usually I leave after my classes are done.
Old 04-29-2011 at 11:16 AM   #5
andrewjdg
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 30 Times
During the summer I'd imagine it's amazing. During the year, when it's over-crowded, it's probably the worst gym you can go to.

RyanC likes this.
Old 04-29-2011 at 12:13 PM   #6
3am Coffee
Program: English & Cultural Studies
Year: First

Liked: 155 Times
Just run around your yard and punch slabs of meat.

...?!, ellerytc, Johnny162, omgmt like this.
Old 04-29-2011 at 12:28 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjdg View Post
During the summer I'd imagine it's amazing. During the year, when it's over-crowded, it's probably the worst gym you can go to.
Its not THAT busy, but yeah, equipment you want to use the most tends to be in use. I usually just use whatever is free tbh.

Yay, a banner break...Thanks to our sponsors we're able to keep our server going!

Old 04-29-2011 at 02:09 PM   #8
LHen
Program: Kinesiology

Liked: 0 Times
If you have another univsersity near your house they sometimes offer good rates to students from other univsersities
Old 04-29-2011 at 03:14 PM   #9
panda

Liked: 0 Times
you don't need a gym to stay fit. though personally, i do love the gym. the environment is just more motivating.

luckily winter's behind us now so you can do sooo much outside! with friends you can play your favourite sport.
or if you're like me and just loathes team sports...you can
- run (around your neighbourhood, but there's also hill sprints, barefoot running)
- jump rope (a favourite of mine.<3)
- rollerblade/bike
- do stair running (just like the stairmaster! (: )
- do bodyweight circuits (another favourite! haha, great for fat loss, given that you're eating properly)

for circuits, you can choose to do time intervals or complete a given number of reps:
(it's just an example off the top of my head)
40 sec (or 15 reps of) - squats
40 sec (or 10 reps of) - push ups
40 sec (or 20 reps of) - mountain climbers
40 sec (or 10 reps of) - bench dips
40 sec (or 10 reps of) - squat thrusts/burpees
repeat this sequence at least 2 more times (for a total of 3...or more)
rest 30 seconds between exercises, or even less to amp up the difficulty.

if you get really good you can increase the length of each exercise to, let's say, a whole minute or say, add 5 extra reps.

...or you can stick to workout DVDs. borrow them from the library/friends (free!), purchase them, or find some on youtube.(: 3 years ago i started with turbo jam in the comfort of my own home. during warmer seasons i sometimes use my garage too.

actually, if you can, buy some dumbbells! best investment ever if you don't have a gym or resistance bands.

there's no reason to be inactive without the gym, you just have to be creative.
i was on my europe trip during march break and i was DYING because i didn't hit the gym in two weeks, so during my last few days i climbed the stairs (running every 2nd step) of 9 flights, 6 times up and down and did some barefoot running along the beach in barcelona.(:

sorry i got carried away haha, but i hope it helped!
Old 04-29-2011 at 03:35 PM   #10
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle
Program: Shapeshifting and Transfiguration
Residence: Evil

Liked: 325 Times
Quote:
It's busy, but not as busy as you make it sound. You can do most of your workouts in time, minus the squat/deadlift stations near the rock climbing wall.

The Pulse is great, especially at what you're paying for. But usually the other gyms, ie. premiere fitness will have some better equipment with a bit less traffic flow.
Old 04-29-2011 at 04:37 PM   #11
andrewjdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
It's busy, but not as busy as you make it sound. You can do most of your workouts in time, minus the squat/deadlift stations near the rock climbing wall.

The Pulse is great, especially at what you're paying for. But usually the other gyms, ie. premiere fitness will have some better equipment with a bit less traffic flow.
-Lots of stuff is free (i.e, machines, shoulder press, w/e)
-Getting dumbbells/bench press takes a long ass time. Waste of time.
-There are usually squat racks free unless it's past 5pm. I remember going one day, and just leaving cause I can't be arsed waiting 10min to squat.

The gym itself is amazing. Good equipment, etc. It's just overpopulated, unless you go earlier than 9:30 am, which I eventually did. And when I couldn't go earlier than that anymore, I just stopped going. It's too claustrophobic.

I can get in and out of goodlife fitness in 30-40min sometimes because it's empty; while at mac it'd take an extra 30 minutes. Possibly more. Plus, if I enjoy having a structured workout plan throughout the weeks, I can't just "do a little bit here, and then I'll do that, and then this..."

@ Panda. Yes, the workout you posted is good for overall fitness, and possibly some endurance strength - but what about strength wise? I can see only stair climbing sprints or hill sprints the only way to gain some solid strength there. I prefer power, speed, and max strength. :p But each to their own.

Last edited by andrewjdg : 04-29-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2011 at 04:46 PM   #12
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Quote:
-Lots of stuff is free (i.e, machines, shoulder press, w/e)
-Getting dumbbells/bench press takes a long ass time. Waste of time.
-There are usually squat racks free unless it's past 5pm. I remember going one day, and just leaving cause I can't be arsed waiting 10min to squat.

The gym itself is amazing. Good equipment, etc. It's just overpopulated, unless you go earlier than 9:30 am, which I eventually did. And when I couldn't go earlier than that anymore, I just stopped going. It's too claustrophobic.

I can get in and out of goodlife fitness in 30-40min sometimes because it's empty; while at mac it'd take an extra 30 minutes. Possibly more. Plus, if I enjoy having a structured workout plan throughout the weeks, I can't just "do a little bit here, and then I'll do that, and then this..."
I really, really hope you're joking when you say that free weights and bench presses are a waste of time.

And I'm talking about the barbell stations that give you a platform for dead lifting.
I don't know many people who have problems with wait time that bad that it will actually impede their workout.
Old 04-29-2011 at 04:49 PM   #13
andrewjdg

Quote:
I really, really hope you're joking when you say that free weights and bench presses are a waste of time.

And I'm talking about the barbell stations that give you a platform for dead lifting.
I don't know many people who have problems with wait time that bad that it will actually impede their workout.
Waste of time waiting for it, yes. I'm an advocate of free weights primarily, so perhaps you misread. Also, I kid you not, I had to wait between 10-15 minutes for a pair of dumbbells. I've spoken to a few people there, and they also agree that it impeded their workout. In fact, some also quit because of that, not just myself. I follow a very structured workout, so if any things get in the way, it impedes it.
Old 04-29-2011 at 04:52 PM   #14
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Quote:
Waste of time waiting for it, yes. I'm an advocate of free weights primarily, so perhaps you misread. Also, I kid you not, I had to wait between 10-15 minutes for a pair of dumbbells. I've spoken to a few people there, and they also agree that it impeded their workout. In fact, some also quit because of that, not just myself. I follow a very structured workout, so if any things get in the way, it impedes it.
Fair enough, waiting 10-15 mins for a dumbbell is ridiculous.
Old 04-29-2011 at 04:54 PM   #15
andrewjdg

Quote:
Fair enough, waiting 10-15 mins for a dumbbell is ridiculous.
Yes, though this doesn't happen all the time, it's purely random. Some days everything can work out smoothly. It's just the more people there are, the higher the probability that something will be taken when I need it.

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community!
Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!
Closed Thread