MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with SOLAR.... drummerboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2010 12:28 AM
SOLAR Help! lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 03:25 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Solar stefan_toron First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-16-2009 10:53 PM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM

ugh. SOLAR. *stab*

Old 06-18-2009 at 01:30 AM   #121
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsintome View Post
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU ALL!

when asking/begging to be let into a course, what do you say?
I don't know how much this will help, but here's the email message I sent last year to the person in charge of linguistics when I wanted to get into a full course:

Quote:
Hi Jackie,

I was given your contact information by Amelia in the linguistics department. I am having a problem and hope that you can help. My name is Dillon and I have been accepted to McMaster into the Engineering program. I want to take German 1Z06 as my elective. When I tried to register on the SOLAR system the course had a full status. I was told that if a request is made to the faculty that there is a possibility that an additional seat could be added.

I contacted the languages department and Amelia responded that she is seeing that there are plenty of seats available when she looks in the system. So, I'm wondering if there is a glitch in the system and if you could shed some light on what the situation is. If this is a system problem and there are seats available, is it possible to register manually outside of the SOLAR system? I have tried contacting the office of the registrar but have not been able to get a response.

We would greatly appreciate any advice or help that you can offer.

Thank you,

Dillon Dixon
I don't think it's exactly what you're asking for, but I'm pretty sure the response I got from this one is that a seat had been opened for me. I kind of acted like I thought SOLAR was broken rather than begging.

Good luck!

sinsintome says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 01:30 AM   #122
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

I'm arranging a (peaceful) protest at McMaster on June 24th. Look for the Facebook event ("PROTEST AGAINST THE PIECES OF $**** CALLED MUGSI AND SOLAR").

Contrary to the nature of the title of the event, we won't do anything stupid .. just stand at a strategic spot with large signs and possibly coordinated t-shirts and screaming loudly at all who pass.
Old 06-18-2009 at 02:10 AM   #123
sinsintome

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't know how much this will help, but here's the email message I sent last year to the person in charge of linguistics when I wanted to get into a full course:

I don't think it's exactly what you're asking for, but I'm pretty sure the response I got from this one is that a seat had been opened for me. I kind of acted like I thought SOLAR was broken rather than begging.

Good luck!
OIC.

this gives me an idea of how to approach the email!

thanks (:
Old 06-18-2009 at 06:42 AM   #124
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

So, like last year, I was able to get on at 7:00 with no problems. It's too bad two of my courses were full, and that I apparently don't have the prerequisite for BIO 3MM3. Just wondering...was anyone able to select this course?
Old 06-18-2009 at 08:06 AM   #125
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Omega - Mugsi is currently busy or I would've checked, but if you have the necessary prereqs, I'd send an e-mail to the bio department. It may be glitchy.
Old 06-18-2009 at 08:29 AM   #126
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Omega - Mugsi is currently busy or I would've checked, but if you have the necessary prereqs, I'd send an e-mail to the bio department. It may be glitchy.
Yeah, I definitely have the prerequisite (BIO 2A03). It happened to my friend too, so I guess it must be a mistake.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:41 AM   #127
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X13 View Post
Yeah, I definitely have the prerequisite (BIO 2A03). It happened to my friend too, so I guess it must be a mistake.
Yup, email the department. There have been LOTS of glitches this year...a course that doesn't have prereqs I apparently failed the prereqs for! *sigh*

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-18-2009 at 11:04 AM   #128
velvetgold

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X13 View Post
I'm having the same problem, it wont let me select Bio 3mm3. Also it says that bio 3u03 and bio 3uu3 are full already.. ugh. I really wanted to take those.
Old 06-18-2009 at 12:02 PM   #129
ladyh

When I got on at 12:25 AM, after half an hour of randomly getting booted off and links that didn't work, over half of the courses I wanted were full =(. How does a course full up in 25 minutes!?!?!?

Join the protest on June 24!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2009 at 12:06 PM   #130
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post
When I got on at 12:25 AM, after half an hour of randomly getting booted off and links that didn't work, over half of the courses I wanted were full =(. How does a course full up in 25 minutes!?!?!?

They probably aren't actually full; the seats are just reserved for people who actually require the course. Just wait a while [like a few weeks]; eventually the remaining seats will be opened to everyone.
Old 06-18-2009 at 12:11 PM   #131
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post

You mean there's actually a protest? Where is it being held exactly? Haha, man I'd go but I'm too much of a cheapskate to spend 20 bucks to come down.
Old 06-18-2009 at 01:05 PM   #132
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
I have a feeling that the McMaster SOLAR server is actually just one of those standard Casio calculators we use with a few racing stripes and some sparkles to make it go slightly faster.
LOL HAHAHA
Old 06-18-2009 at 01:09 PM   #133
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I'm prepared for tonight's SOLAR challenge. I got a little ace up my sleeve to make the process go a bit smoother
Old 06-18-2009 at 01:29 PM   #134
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

is it logging in before midnight? because I'm sure other people are going to try that.
Or is it waiting until tomorrow morning?
Old 06-18-2009 at 02:00 PM   #135
ladyh

Quote:
They probably aren't actually full; the seats are just reserved for people who actually require the course. Just wait a while [like a few weeks]; eventually the remaining seats will be opened to everyone.
Thanks, that gives me a little more hope! So far I only have 2 out of the 5 courses I wanted for first semester =S and I need one of those courses to fulfill a requirement, and I need the other 2 to get into Ontario Veterinary College, even though they are considered electives for my degree. Blahhhh

On the plus side, I'm glad I'm not in Life Science .. they seemed to get really screwed last night since all the "popular" biology/psych courses were full for a lot of them after like half an hour, since the seats were reserved for people who are actually in the program.