MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with SOLAR.... drummerboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2010 12:28 AM
SOLAR Help! lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 03:25 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Solar stefan_toron First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-16-2009 10:53 PM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM

ugh. SOLAR. *stab*

Old 06-20-2009 at 10:24 AM   #151
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Although I agree with you jachill, not everyone has the ability to come back to Mac to choose their classes.

I only live about an hour and a half away, and if I had to do that I'd be pissed! If you live further from Mac, or in another province or country it wouldn't be a fair system.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-20-2009 at 10:42 AM   #152
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

True, never thought of that. The international students back then must've been pissed but it's not like they had any other way to do it without the technology.

EDIT: Did they even have international students back then? The woman who told me this last year was probably in her 40/50s and this is how it worked when she was at Mac (I think it was Mac).

Last edited by jachill : 06-20-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2009 at 11:11 AM   #153
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X13 View Post
Actually, it showed up as available, but it said I didn't have the prerequisites, which is a mistake (happens for everyone I think?). I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet. Oh, and also I got the waiver right away...like a couple of hours after emailing her..
I'm pretty sure it's happening to everyone. Same thing happened to me and 3 of my friends all in bio. I e-mailed Ms. McIntosh, she asked for my student ID and then I got an automated e-mail that said she wouldn't be back to her email til monday. Getting a little too close to the 24th, last day for me to pick my courses...
Old 06-20-2009 at 11:55 AM   #154
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
True, never thought of that. The international students back then must've been pissed but it's not like they had any other way to do it without the technology.

EDIT: Did they even have international students back then? The woman who told me this last year was probably in her 40/50s and this is how it worked when she was at Mac (I think it was Mac).
I would say there has been international students since at least the 1950's. But the has certainly increased drastically since then.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-20-2009 at 01:35 PM   #155
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

lol Yeah, that's what I figured.
Old 06-22-2009 at 11:04 PM   #156
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

It's only 12:03 AM. I don't know what I expected, but I should've expected the blue screen of death as it is so fondly called. Sigh. I'll wake up in a few hours I guess.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:04 AM   #157
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I never got the blue screen...ever.

Just lots of MUGSI letting me not sign in...

Old 06-23-2009 at 12:12 AM   #158
jordanrogers

Liked: 1 Time

yeah same - i never got the blue screen
but after an hour of that stupid red lettering and that stupid dog icon on the solar page i got in
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:22 AM   #159
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You would think that they could make a queuing system. All you'd have to do it log onto mugsi and then attempt to access SOLAR which would put you in a queue with an estimated time of registration (based on the time limit allotted) which gives the longest time possible for access since people can sign off. And yes, PLEASE SIGN OFF WHEN YOU ARE DONE! It speeds up the process and is courteous to your fellow peers.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:24 AM   #160
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You would think that they could make a queuing system. All you'd have to do it log onto mugsi and then attempt to access SOLAR which would put you in a queue with an estimated time of registration (based on the time limit allotted) which gives the longest time possible for access since people can sign off. And yes, PLEASE SIGN OFF WHEN YOU ARE DONE! It speeds up the process and is courteous to your fellow peers.
Too bad they only budget $24.77 a year for the server SOLAR is on. And by server I mean a Cassio Calculator with an internet connection.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:26 AM   #161
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Too bad they only budget $24.77 a year for the server SOLAR is on. And by server I mean a Cassio Calculator with an internet connection.

And I'm sure this has nothing to do with PG's rather large salary...

Old 06-23-2009 at 12:27 AM   #162
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

24.77 a year for a server... can you actually rent a server for that little? o.O
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:27 AM   #163
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
And I'm sure this has nothing to do with PG's rather large salary...
$500,000? Pocket change I say!
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:40 AM   #164
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Really they rent servers? Shit they should just maintain their own for Solar. It'd make a lot more sense. One dedicated server for Solar use only that could maintain enough bandwith for the number of mac students. Jeez. With tuition and all that raising I think they could possibly afford that.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:42 AM   #165
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

i just spent 2 hours trying to get into mugsi and solar only to find out the three classes i really wanted to take next year are all full.

i have never sworn so much in my life.

i created new curse words that i am ashamed to say i thought of.

i said and did horrible things over this registration thing. i need help.